• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Highcroft Hall Erdington circa 1936 to 1950

My grandmother died there in 1949. I was always told she died from cancer, and her death certificate mentions pneumonia and myocarditis, but I'm now wondering if she had a psychiatric disorder. Would they have placed cancer patients there then?

My grandmother died there in 1949. I was always told she died from cancer, and her death certificate mentions pneumonia and myocarditis, but I'm now wondering if she had a psychiatric disorder. Would they have placed cancer patients there then?
Highcroft hospital had a geriatric ward, it did treat people who did not have psychiatric disorders. My grandfather died there after suffering several strokes. Does it mention cancer on the death certificate? Myocarditis is inflammation of the heart.

I saw a post today on the Ex Highcroft facebook group asking if anyone might have had a photo of Elen (Nellie) Cowan who worked there as a daily domestic 1945 - 1951. She was born in Ireland in 1917 and died in Brum in 1951. It is her granddaughter who has never seen a photo of her grandmother. I have looked on ancestry but the only link is a tree back to Ellen Cowan.
I am at a loss now where else to look. Any ideas welcome or does anyone know if records still survive somewhere from the 1940's?
I worked as a psych nurse in the 80's and 90's so she was way before my time.

Many thanks

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
Shows two births in 1917 for an Ellen Cowan. Her birthday or the place she was born would help to decide if either of these is correct. Might be worth exploring her life in Ireland before she came to England, but I'm afraid finding a photo with a name is often impossible. I'd advise her granddaughter to see if there are other members of the family with photos or looking for her on-line. Was her birth name Ellen Cowan? Kind of you to try to help the granddaughter, but there's a lot of digging to find her grandmother and the chances of a photo are slim, I'm afraid.

Many thanks Stokkie
I am in touch with Samantha now on ancestry and have filled her in on what I could and come up with ideas for her to try, such as a newspaper request- slim chance but the Brum Mail might do it. Plus buying the Highcroft book. She did private dna but I have suggested sending the raw dna to My Heritage and or Gedmatch to widen the reach. Her small tree gives her relatives that Barnados gave to her. Widening this might, just might, link to an Irish living relative. She knows it is a long shot. Such a shame that adoption agencies never tried to add photos. She is living now in an apartment at the Highcroft site so that in its way brings her a bit nearer to her mom. If anything more comes to light I will update. Many thanks everyone.

Many thanks Stokkie
I am in touch with Samantha now on ancestry and have filled her in on what I could and come up with ideas for her to try, such as a newspaper request- slim chance but the Brum Mail might do it. Plus buying the Highcroft book. She did private dna but I have suggested sending the raw dna to My Heritage and or Gedmatch to widen the reach. Her small tree gives her relatives that Barnados gave to her. Widening this might, just might, link to an Irish living relative. She knows it is a long shot. Such a shame that adoption agencies never tried to add photos. She is living now in an apartment at the Highcroft site so that in its way brings her a bit nearer to her mom. If anything more comes to light I will update. Many thanks everyone.
Good luck to Samantha! There are groups in Ireland and UK for tracing the mothers of adopted children. But this is never an easy task. One last thought: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...family-history-a-step-by-step-guide-1.3423973

Last edited:
There is a small tree that appears to list Ellen on Ancestry, born 1917 Co. Down father John.

Is this the tree mentioned above? Depending how much of that is correct then you can find possible parents, siblings and even grandparents on the records.

The site in 1950, it was enormous ! Some early buildings seem to still be there today, but it looks like there's been substantial new housing development in recent times and many of the older buildings seem to have gone

Screenshot_20231230_221914_Chrome.jpg
Source : British Newspaper Archive

Screenshot_20240101_140230_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
I trained and worked there as a registered nurse. Much was already derelict when I was there in the 1980's - 1990's.
I knew they had turned part into apartments but had no idea about all those houses.
If ghosts could talk!!!

The site in 1950, it was enormous ! Some early buildings seem to still be there today, but it looks like there's been substantial new housing development in recent times and many of the older buildings seem to have gone

View attachment 187320
Source : British Newspaper Archive

View attachment 187321
The old Highcroft hospital was mostly demolished in 1996 and new apartments were built upon the site in the 2000's, I think. The mental health service facility (Northcroft) was moved to modern buildings which are off Reservoir Road.

ts been a while since I last posted to remind members that there are still copies available of
HIGHCROFT: FROM WORKHOUSE TO MODERN MENTAL HEALTH SERVICE ; published by Highcroft History Group, 2001. Preface by Prof.Carl Chinn
68 pages, A4 bound with photos, maps, several illustrations and wonderfully referenced by the editor the late Mike Hinson; describes life in the original workhouse, through the wars to founding NHS, and the progress made in mental health services up to the Millennium.
Copies available via [email protected], £10 inc UK 2nd class postage. Proceeds go to the charitable trust funds of Birmingham & Solihull Mental Health NHS .

My husband's Grandfather died 30 January 1933 at 18 Highcroft Road, (Highcroft Hall Hospital). His death certificate gives his home address as Asquith Road Ward End. Cause of death Pulmonary Congestion and Cardio Vascular. About ten years ago I wrote The Archivist for Highcroft Hall. Unfortunately I cannot now find the reply. If memory serves me correctly, her reply stated that the Hospital at the time had several 'cottages' which were for the use of terminal patients much like today's nursing homes I gather. If any records survive, they would possibly have been deposited with Birmingham Archives but would be closed due to the 100 year rule.

Highcroft hospital had a geriatric ward, it did treat people who did not have psychiatric disorders. My grandfather died there after suffering several strokes. Does it mention cancer on the death certificate? Myocarditis is inflammation of the heart.
Thank you. My grandmother was 46 when she died, so not geriatric. No mention of cancer on the death certificate but I did read that myocarditis was often caused by anti-psychotic drugs. She was in a lot of pain, I guess, so maybe this impacted her mental health.

ts been a while since I last posted to remind members that there are still copies available of
HIGHCROFT: FROM WORKHOUSE TO MODERN MENTAL HEALTH SERVICE ; published by Highcroft History Group, 2001. Preface by Prof.Carl Chinn
68 pages, A4 bound with photos, maps, several illustrations and wonderfully referenced by the editor the late Mike Hinson; describes life in the original workhouse, through the wars to founding NHS, and the progress made in mental health services up to the Millennium.
Copies available via [email protected], £10 inc UK 2nd class postage. Proceeds go to the charitable trust funds of Birmingham & Solihull Mental Health NHS .
Do you still have copies to buy, Julian? Thanks.

although not for the specific dates in the title of this thread we do have an extensive thread for highcroft which some may find interesting...click on link below

Do you still have copies to buy, Julian? Thanks.
DAWN, So sorry for the delay in replying, i did not receive an alert! Yes I just sold a copy this week to an employee of the Trust. My earlier post of 10 May 2022 shows a pic. Please just e mail me as above; then its either a cheque or a bank transfer for a Tenner if you are UK postal. I will post it large letter as its A4 size. Best wishes Julian C.

Back