• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

ERDINGTON ALMSHOUSES/WORKHOUSE/HIGHCROFT HOSPITAL

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
edit there is another thread here about the hospital during the period 1936 - 1950

------

hi folk cant find a thread for this at the moment...i need some help please in finding out about the old erdington almshouses/workhouse which it may have originally have been..ive been told the address is the gardens fentham road erdington and is at the back of the old highcroft hospital also been told that there used to be an old well on the site..any info..photos or old maps would be very much appreciated...

thanks

edit found it on streetview

lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
On this map published in 1915 it is called the Birmingham Union Workhouse and at the side Cottages Homes. The homes were not present on the 1880s map and it was called the Aston Union Workhouse.

C1D15B05-5AAD-4C33-9C12-7005FF6308C2.jpeg

Re Almshouses. This is a fairly detailed account of Josiah Mason’s Almshouses on Sutton Road/Station Road set up in 1858. The older residents started out in the gothic building, then were moved to bungalows. Hopefully it’s legible as it’s a long article.

Another article mentions when Mason built the orphanage in Bell Lane, and after the children were moved, the original orphanage in Sheep Street was converted to almshouses and used for older women and unmarried women. This was c1860.

The numbers being supported were between 26 and 31 at any time, Viv.

Attachments

• 6479B784-8BC6-4001-80E6-A89305FE3854.jpeg
    6479B784-8BC6-4001-80E6-A89305FE3854.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
hi pedro many thanks...well the cottage homes are still there thats nice to see.so am i right in saying that the the workhouse was first called the aston union and then changed to the birmingham union ?? and i take it the workhouse buildings no longer exist??

lyn

Last edited:
It’s dated 1941 Lyn. It’s a record of a visit to the almshouses in 1941 but records the earlier history as the women were housed in the old orphanage before the almshouses were converted. They seem to have been only for women, and not on a large scale. I don’t know if the resident profile changed, still looking for info. But Mason didn’t want to include men as he thought they didn’t manage themselves very well in those conditions ! Viv.

There is a mention of a sports day for the Aston Union Cottage Homes in 1911. Taking place at the Gravelly Hill Playing Field.

great pedro thanks for the older map which clearly shows that before the almshouses were built the ground was occupied by the workhouse,..could i have the date please of the older map..thanks pedro

now i need to try and find a map with a well showing on it...how true this is i dont yet know..got the info from someone else

lyn

With regard to Almshouses in Erdington, you might find these people helpful at the Sir Josiah Mason trust. They also cover the Holte Almshouses that were moved to Erdington from Aston (not physically of course !).

A couple of extracts from their site and background to the Holte interest. Viv.

A80C4AAC-2D13-4B5E-998D-C281F5C3843D.jpeg
6EE71313-C0D0-47D0-BCE9-E7923CECE1F6.jpeg
6A49C68E-FDD1-4016-8B88-9E4CC76F56CF.jpeg

Also in my post #3 I mentioned Sheep Street. This was the earlier name for Station Road. I can’t confirm this yet, but I think there might be an almshouse connection with the old cottages still in the road. But don’t quote me on that yet. Still trying to find out. Viv.

Lyn - if you streetview the cottage homes and travel down "the gardens" then you come to this - can't tell what it is but could it be the site of a well?
View attachment 152434

thanks jan i travelled down earlier on on st view...in fact i remembered that about 4 years ago i did take a drive down and look at the cottages..i did wonder if that clock tower could hide the elusive well ive been told about but cant see one marked on the maps posted...may need to check older maps

lyn

Last edited:
Somewhere close to Highcroft I seem to remember an artesian well.

i think that could be the one pedro will try to locate it on a map...also looking now for photos of the workhouse...thanks everyone

lyn

Last edited:
There are a few threads about the Aston Union/Highcroft including this one from the Peter Walker Archives. Viv.

Thinking back. My uncle lived in one of the prefabs in Reservoir Road, and I think you could see the artesian well from the prefab. It looked like a big tank on stilts, over the road from the Reservoir.

Maybe OldM can help us ?

Here are some items from"Highcroft from workhouse to modern mental health service", pub by the highcroft history Group, Ed byMike Hinson,
Some views of the hospital, including a better copy of Vivs aerial view

highcroft 1A.jpghighcroft 2A.jpghighcroft 3A.jpg
Here is an artists impression of the previous Erdington workhouse, which had faced Erdington village Green

old aston workhouse erdington A.jpg

A guide plan from1939 of Erdington /house, which was what it was named 1912-1942 (I have joined two pages and twisted map so it is north-south as previous maps)

Erdington house guide plan 1939.jpg

~And finally, in case i is of interest, a listing of the wards and their use in 1914

highcroft wards 1914..jpg

Last edited:
On Photo 4 I think the artesian well can be seen on the extreme middle right ??

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 23.07.47.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 23.07.47.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
Have just realised that I stated that I had turned map so it was North south, and it was not actually north south. Have now corrected that

On Photo 4 I think the artesian well can be seen on the extreme middle right ??
The caption refers to "the giant water tower" - apparently a feature of many workhouses and hospitals built at that time. I am not sure it means it had to be a well.

Back