• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Highcroft Hall Erdington circa 1936 to 1950

Just off the top of my head, it was Aston Union Workhouse and then became Highcroft Hospital. I am wondering if highcroft Hall was a local name?

I do know it was a geriatric ward for the elderly, and it was also home to a lot of people with both mental and physical disabilities. There were a lot of ‘stories’ associated with the site. Some say it used to home quite dangerous inmates in padded cells etc. I was asked to develop and print a set of photos from an exhibition showing some of the restraint devices used at the hospital.

With changes in medical care and new drugs, these practices fell out of use.
My mum was a nurse probationer there in the early 1950's and always referred to it as Highcroft Hall. Had some very interesting stories about her experiences too

Just off the top of my head, it was Aston Union Workhouse and then became Highcroft Hospital. I am wondering if highcroft Hall was a local name?

I do know it was a geriatric ward for the elderly, and it was also home to a lot of people with both mental and physical disabilities. There were a lot of ‘stories’ associated with the site. Some say it used to home quite dangerous inmates in padded cells etc. I was asked to develop and print a set of photos from an exhibition showing some of the restraint devices used at the hospital.

With changes in medical care and new drugs, these practices fell out of use.

Highcroft Hospital 1959 silver psychiatric nurses badge

Highcroft Hospital 1959 silver psychiatric nurses badge​

An extremely well designed scarce badge from the 'Highcroft Hospital'; from an ornate floral decorated bar depends a circular medal, bearing fine quality guilloche translucent yellow enamel title suround, the centre depicts 'Asclepius god of medicine and healing' superimposed over crossed staffs and lamp, the reverse impressed with Birmingham silver hallmarks for 1959 to both parts, maker's details "M&B" (Marples & Beasley). Very good condition, retaining original pin fittings, enamel perfect, an excellent example.
Height 50mm.

Situated in Birmingham it was originally named 'Aston Union Workhouse', renamed 'Erdington House' and then 'Highcroft Hall Hospital' in the early 1940's, later to become known as 'Highcroft Hospital' until in 1996 it was closed.

My aunt was a resident at Highcroft Hall. As a child I remember sometimes seeing and talking to her when I visited
my Nan. She periodically spent a weekend at home (Nans)
A lovely, sweet young woman who to me at least showed no signs of mental illness. Her death certificate in 1972 showed
she had died of pneumonia, she was 27 years old, so bloody sad....

My mother worked as a psychiatric nurse at Highcroft during the early 50s. I too remember the patients asking children to buy cigarettes for them, through the railings on Slade Road (the shop on the corner of Kings Road, I think charged 6d for two loose fags). I also went to a couple of the summer fairs that were held in the 60s on and around the cricket field there (see below).

1652178078307.png

Just a reminder for those reading this thread, I still have copies of the Book HIGHCROFT:FROM WORKHOUSE TO MODERN MENTAL HEALTH SERVICE for sale.
Published in 2001, by Highcroft History Group and edited by Mike Hinson, it has 72 pages on A4 size, with many photos and illustrations, and reference to historical documents and events. Price now reduced to £7.50 including UK 2nd class postage. Proceeds to the charitable funds of the Birmingham & Solihull Mental Health NHS Trust.
contact: Julian Cleaver member of group (retired) [email protected] Sorry the scan is so large! Highcroft Book cover 2.jpg

My grandmother died there in 1949. I was always told she died from cancer, and her death certificate mentions pneumonia and myocarditis, but I'm now wondering if she had a psychiatric disorder. Would they have placed cancer patients there then?

My grandmother died there in 1949. I was always told she died from cancer, and her death certificate mentions pneumonia and myocarditis, but I'm now wondering if she had a psychiatric disorder. Would they have placed cancer patients there then?
Highcroft hospital had a geriatric ward, it did treat people who did not have psychiatric disorders. My grandfather died there after suffering several strokes. Does it mention cancer on the death certificate? Myocarditis is inflammation of the heart.

I saw a post today on the Ex Highcroft facebook group asking if anyone might have had a photo of Elen (Nellie) Cowan who worked there as a daily domestic 1945 - 1951. She was born in Ireland in 1917 and died in Brum in 1951. It is her granddaughter who has never seen a photo of her grandmother. I have looked on ancestry but the only link is a tree back to Ellen Cowan.
I am at a loss now where else to look. Any ideas welcome or does anyone know if records still survive somewhere from the 1940's?
I worked as a psych nurse in the 80's and 90's so she was way before my time.

Many thanks

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
Shows two births in 1917 for an Ellen Cowan. Her birthday or the place she was born would help to decide if either of these is correct. Might be worth exploring her life in Ireland before she came to England, but I'm afraid finding a photo with a name is often impossible. I'd advise her granddaughter to see if there are other members of the family with photos or looking for her on-line. Was her birth name Ellen Cowan? Kind of you to try to help the granddaughter, but there's a lot of digging to find her grandmother and the chances of a photo are slim, I'm afraid.

Many thanks Stokkie
I am in touch with Samantha now on ancestry and have filled her in on what I could and come up with ideas for her to try, such as a newspaper request- slim chance but the Brum Mail might do it. Plus buying the Highcroft book. She did private dna but I have suggested sending the raw dna to My Heritage and or Gedmatch to widen the reach. Her small tree gives her relatives that Barnados gave to her. Widening this might, just might, link to an Irish living relative. She knows it is a long shot. Such a shame that adoption agencies never tried to add photos. She is living now in an apartment at the Highcroft site so that in its way brings her a bit nearer to her mom. If anything more comes to light I will update. Many thanks everyone.

Many thanks Stokkie
I am in touch with Samantha now on ancestry and have filled her in on what I could and come up with ideas for her to try, such as a newspaper request- slim chance but the Brum Mail might do it. Plus buying the Highcroft book. She did private dna but I have suggested sending the raw dna to My Heritage and or Gedmatch to widen the reach. Her small tree gives her relatives that Barnados gave to her. Widening this might, just might, link to an Irish living relative. She knows it is a long shot. Such a shame that adoption agencies never tried to add photos. She is living now in an apartment at the Highcroft site so that in its way brings her a bit nearer to her mom. If anything more comes to light I will update. Many thanks everyone.
Good luck to Samantha! There are groups in Ireland and UK for tracing the mothers of adopted children. But this is never an easy task. One last thought: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...family-history-a-step-by-step-guide-1.3423973

Last edited:
There is a small tree that appears to list Ellen on Ancestry, born 1917 Co. Down father John.

Is this the tree mentioned above? Depending how much of that is correct then you can find possible parents, siblings and even grandparents on the records.

The site in 1950, it was enormous ! Some early buildings seem to still be there today, but it looks like there's been substantial new housing development in recent times and many of the older buildings seem to have gone

Screenshot_20231230_221914_Chrome.jpg
Source : British Newspaper Archive

Screenshot_20240101_140230_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
I trained and worked there as a registered nurse. Much was already derelict when I was there in the 1980's - 1990's.
I knew they had turned part into apartments but had no idea about all those houses.
If ghosts could talk!!!

The site in 1950, it was enormous ! Some early buildings seem to still be there today, but it looks like there's been substantial new housing development in recent times and many of the older buildings seem to have gone

View attachment 187320
Source : British Newspaper Archive

View attachment 187321
The old Highcroft hospital was mostly demolished in 1996 and new apartments were built upon the site in the 2000's, I think. The mental health service facility (Northcroft) was moved to modern buildings which are off Reservoir Road.

Back