• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

High Street Birmingham

Deans was #94, going uphill to the right was #93 and to the right of which was the entrance to Swan Passage. Viv.

A view looking down hill on High Street posted by the late Dennis Williams on the Bull Ring thread. Think this is a later view than Pedro's post #123. Must be about late 1950s (?). Browns were at #93 but I think Dean's had gone from #94. The entrance to Swan Passage was still there to the right of Brown's.

And they were still there in Phyllis Nicklin's colour image dated 1958. Viv.

Screenshot_20231029_112515_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20231030_061108_Chrome.jpg

He had a fairly short life, which wasn't unusual at the time. I wonder if Rebecca re-married, again not unusual if the were young or adolescent children in the family.
For the record older people usually know Crediton as Kirton Town. It is also the place where St. Boniface was born and St. Boniface is the patron saint of Devon.

He had a fairly short life, which wasn't unusual at the time. I wonder if Rebecca re-married, again not unusual if the were young or adolescent children in the family.
For the record older people usually know Crediton as Kirton Town. It is also the place where St. Boniface was born and St. Boniface is the patron saint of Devon.

She didn't re-marry, died in 1874, and there doesn't seem to have been any children.

She was shoe manufacturer listed on High St in 1851 but in 1861 with a sister in Devon.

Nearby in 1856, there was this haberdasher; Laings & Co. The building, obviously substantial, occupied numbers 33, 34, 35 and 36 High Street. Incredibly high ceilings. The hanging samples of carpet remind me of Liberty's London, where I've seen similar ways of displaying fabrics etc. The general impression is one of order and individual, personal customer service. Not a shopping trip to be rushed.

Screenshot_20231116_082210_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Good old fashioned customer service it seems. Another similarity with Liberty's. Anyone who has been to Liberty's will have good memories of the place. I guess Rackhams was different, but as good for service. I bought my wife a hick necked lemon coloured long overcoat, she liked it very much and wishes she still had it but that was in 1961. From memory I think it cost £25 +.
The only humorous comment made by the sales staff was they thought we all wore tweeds in Devon. I did point out that was only on occasions such as day out on Dartmoor. :)

Back