• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

High Street Birmingham

Can anyone help me with what 61-63 High Street, Birmingham was like, in 1911 living there was a housekeeper and 5 Assistants and 5 maids.

Your post has been moved to the thread mentioned above. The relevant post is no 28

I like this view of High Street as it brings out lots of details on the buildings. No specific date for it but looks to me about 1910s (?) I think it’s the junction with New Street (off to the left) looking down towards Dale End. This part of the street suffered WW2 bombing. Viv.

View attachment 132594
Does anyone have any information on Dean's Tailor's, seen here on the junction of New Street and High Street, including dates they were on that site and any more information on their history? Thanks

A couple of adverts. In 1922 John Deans tailoring was unexcelled by any other tailor. And his repitation wasn’t just confined to Birmingham. He opened up in Sunderland too in 1902. So was obviously doing well in the early 1900s. Viv.

Attachments

• 8AE83F64-60DF-4CBE-A581-68D829CF8B9C.jpeg
    8AE83F64-60DF-4CBE-A581-68D829CF8B9C.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 27
  • 92D332AE-11F5-4078-A9A2-9506408197B8.jpeg
    92D332AE-11F5-4078-A9A2-9506408197B8.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 26
Would this photo be looking away from Dale End towards the Bull Ring or looking towards Dale End ? Not too sure what ‘point duty’ was Some sort of crossing warden ? Viv.

48A28BEA-0CF1-4554-AB11-3F4558195671.jpeg
Image from British Newspaper Archives

It was directing traffic, particularly at road junctions and crossroads. I have always thought it in relationship to the police, but this presumably was during the general strike when the police were occupied with other matters and volunteers were used

This row of buildings was demolished in 1913 to make way for the co-op in High Street. This was Co-op on the side of High Street near the Times Furnishing Building. The article is from 5/2/1954 Birmingham Weekly Post (British Newspaper Archives) describes the rear of the premises - an interesting glimpse into domestic life behind the High Street.
Viv.
326B8016-DE6C-421C-AFDA-28066D40EF36.jpeg

6170F906-103D-4ED8-B4AA-615215ECD337.jpeg

Last edited:
At the time this map was drawn (1888) the street named 'Bull Ring' ran between Park Street and Moor Street. High Street started at the Bull Ring / Moor Street junction. Digbeth started at the Bull Ring / Park Street junction.

However, the name 'Bull Ring' was also used for the open market area in front of St Martin's Church, including the area around Nelson's statue stretching as far as the market hall.

A couple of adverts. In 1922 John Deans tailoring was unexcelled by any other tailor. And his repitation wasn’t just confined to Birmingham. He opened up in Sunderland too in 1902. So was obviously doing well in the early 1900s. Viv.
JH Dean's appeared on the corner of High Street and New Street c. late 1880s. and remained there up to WW2. This corner was largely destroyed in a bombing raid on 10 April 1941. JH Deans had relocated to No.1 Snow Hill by 1944. They moved again, in the early 1960s to 78 Smallbrook Queensway and were still there in the early 1970's. I don't know what happened to them after that.

This row of buildings was demolished in 1913 to make way fir the co-op in High Street. This was Co-op on the side of High Street near the Times Furnishing Building. The article is from 5/2/1954 Birmingham Weekly Post (British Newspaper Archives) describes the rear of the premises - an interesting glimpse into domestic life behind the High Street.
Viv.
View attachment 149577

View attachment 149576

Better one here of the old Court House building etc....

Court House Print.jpg

This was Gray, Brennan and Co at the Prince of Wales Buildings at 59 and 60 High Street in 1862. Viv.

View attachment 159233

Source: British Newspaper Archive
To just read the list of items on sale is a fascinating insight to the life and times. Children's Garibaldi named after the red and black cloth that his soldiers wore. Paisley shawls made in Paisley based on fabrics from India. Bonnets and muffs still lingered as an item of clothing in my childhood. Federal and Confederate scarf shawls on display.

Absolutely Tinpot.

So much information crammed into the advert. Today it seems almost trivial to mention ‘ribbons’ but an important item offered for sale so that ladies could change the look of a hat, dress etc instead of stretching their funds in buying new clothes. Viv.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any information on Dean's Tailor's, seen here on the junction of New Street and High Street, including dates they were on that site and any more information on their history? Thanks
Just joined the forum and can add a little bit to this query. My grandfather (Herbert Whorwood) was the or a manager at the shop around the turn of the century. He subsequently opened his own tailoring shop at 76 Digbeth, pictured here. Due reference to Mr Dean which no doubt benefited them both. Sadly Herbert went to war and his son fiddled the takings (allegedly!), and on his return he had to file for bankruptcy. He died in 1924, leaving his other sons to pay off the debts.
024C3B74-FF37-45C6-9CA6-718FAD71897B.jpeg

A very nice addition to this thread Harry. Thank you. It’s good to be able to add some background to the earlier premises on High Street, especially as the many smaller premises were replaced by large department stores. Viv.

Last edited:
An engraving by T Underwood of Henry Darwin’s tailor’s shop in High Street. Can’t work out where exactly on High Street this would have been. Seems to be at a junction - with Dale End maybe ? Viv.

08F57070-5CE7-46F7-B309-44A48E5BE8BD.jpeg

Back