• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Help identifying where in Birmingham

JennyG71

proper brummie kid
Hello All.

Wondering if anyone by any chance recognises this street in Birmingham, long shot but worth a try also if anyone recognises the make of the old car in the picture, appreciate any help and thanks in advance 8B559FE3-F927-416E-8FC2-EC4D0200092A.jpeg

Thar car is an Austin Cambridge or could be a Woolsley but by the colour scheme I think it is a Cambridge. I looked in the 1969 Kelly's but nothing for W H Taylor, Fashion Jewellery and Electrical Fittings, but I think this photo is probably a little younger than 1969, maybe in the 1970's.

Thar car is an Austin Cambridge or could be a Woolsley but by the colour scheme I think it is a Cambridge. I looked in the 1969 Kelly's but nothing for W H Taylor, Fashion Jewellery and Electrical Fittings, but I think this photo is probably a little younger than 1969, maybe in the 1970's.
Thank you so it’s really appreciated

Cannot seem to find a W.H Talor listed in any of the Kellys I have (last one published 1973), other than a beer retailer at 35 Selsey road in the 1970s. The phot certainly is not a beer retailer and that would not seem to be the same site from looking at google maps

Cannot seem to find a W.H Talor listed in any of the Kellys I have (last one published 1973), other than a beer retailer at 35 Selsey road in the 1970s. The phot certainly is not a beer retailer and that would not seem to be the same site from looking at google maps
Thanks for checking though

I drew a blank checking phone directories as well.
May I ask how Jenny knows it is Birmingham?

The cards in the window say Wholesale and Export only so it's possible they're not going to advertise in Kelly's. Beyond that, you're looking at a business that is only named by cards in the window. It's unlikely they had been around that long when the picture was taken and it's even possible that they'd gone by then. I doubt you'd do any better with Stamford's Toolmakers or whatever they're called. Have you any idea where the picture came from?Can you be sure it was Birmingham or anywhere?

I have found a WH Taylor, resident at 16-20 Hartford Street, they were resident and registered there from 1911 to 1931. They describe their business as fine metal sculpture, (Metal Stampers,)
looking on Google earth Harford Street has undergone a lot of redevelopment. Non of the visible windows on the exist buildings show matching lintels. However there is one build surrounded by scaffolding which does not leave any windows visible. Currently Hartford Street does not show a camber as visible in the picture.
There is also a W H Taylor ( Derby) registered at
2050 The Crescent
Birmingham Business Park
Birmingham
West Midlands B37 7YE

but is now shown as a dormant company.
perhaps investigating the Derby area would be worthwhile . Alf C.

I have found a WH Taylor, resident at 16-20 Hartford Street, they were resident and registered there from 1911 to 1931. They describe their business as fine metal sculpture, (Metal Stampers,)
looking on Google earth Harford Street has undergone a lot of redevelopment. Non of the visible windows on the exist buildings show matching lintels. However there is one build surrounded by scaffolding which does not leave any windows visible. Currently Hartford Street does not show a camber as visible in the picture.
There is also a W H Taylor ( Derby) registered at
2050 The Crescent
Birmingham Business Park
Birmingham
West Midlands B37 7YE

but is now shown as a dormant company.
perhaps investigating the Derby area would be worthwhile . Alf C.
Thanks very much will take a look

Back