• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

HEATH STREET - Before and After

Hi Mike
Thanks for the information . Edward Edwards had moved from Heath Street by 1891 he was a carpenter.
As for 289 Heath Street am i to assume this was a business property and not residential. What do you think about the 181 number.
My family research interests in the winston green area are the Edwards & Williams families. I have a George Williams who was a carpenter self employed died 1913 his son Alan worked for him, a carpenter & Charles a bricklayer.The address i have for them was Lodge Road. Edward Edwards daughter married George Williams.
I am trying to piece things together .
Thanks Annie

Annie
Certainly it looks as if there was a business (shop) there at 289 after 1888, but possibly not before. Even with a business there, people (not necessarily connected to the business) could have lived above it. The 1881 census shows Walter Alfred Christopher 36, furnaceman, and his family, but there could be a business there as well.

Not sure about 181. Number 181 , in 188o , at leat was a beer retailer. This could either have been a beerhouse or an off licence.

Hi Mike
Thanks for the info had not thought about tenants living above. Its quite clear the family must have had business premises ,maybe at Heath street a little later on than i first thought. Still puzzled over the 50 year old business but will no dought find out about it one day
All the best Annie

Hi Mike
thanks for looking. I will focus on the Williams side of the family to see if i can find something there
Annie

HI ANNIE
There was a williams family living close by that premises in the sixties they was market traders ;
and also in peel street winson green i was one time married to a williams famly but its a different williams i think
i am still trying to think of the street i mentioned astonian

Hi
My family connections with the market hall ran from about 1865 until the market hall was bombed ww2. The Vaughan family business passed onto the Williams family in about 1920
Annie

I lived in Heath Street from late 60's to mid 70's my address was 7 bac of 253 opposite public baths there were 2 convenience shops either side of the entrance to the houses one was an Indian owned and the other was a woman with long blondish reddish type hair who wore glasses. We were Irish immigrants and there was another Irish family who lived in our square called the Stanley's. My mom and dad were John and Martha Boyle,, me and my brother Joe were fostered by them. We have very happy memories of Heath St

Hi John
welcome aboard i am intrested to hear your memorys of the old street i knew namely Heath street
As you said you lived oppersite the baths , well in that case you would have known a friend of mine they was the moult family
they had the horse and cart at one time but later they got a pick up truck
and they was scrap metal dealers and there house and yard would have been facing your house
As they was right next to the baths the very first house indeed by the phone box
you may also recall the cash ,s family whom took over the pawnbrokers shop on the corner of ickneild port road
and of course the parkers rag and bone man whom would have been close to ypour house on the same side
And you may recall the williams family , market traders by you whom i recall in more ways than one
I feel i can discus alot with you on the heath stret and the area as i know very well
I will not say no more for now but you will not regret coming on this forum i can assure you
as there is alot of people from heath street whom are members here that i can tell you
i will not say in advance whom they are but soon as they see your thread you will get a response from them and
I am prety sure you willknow there names Astonian,,,

Hi John
welcome aboard i am intrested to hear your memorys of the old street i knew namely Heath street
As you said you lived oppersite the baths , well in that case you would have known a friend of mine they was the moult family
they had the horse and cart at one time but later they got a pick up truck
and they was scrap metal dealers and there house and yard would have been facing your house
As they was right next to the baths the very first house indeed by the phone box
you may also recall the cash ,s family whom took over the pawnbrokers shop on the corner of ickneild port road
and of course the parkers rag and bone man whom would have been close to ypour house on the same side
And you may recall the williams family , market traders by you whom i recall in more ways than one
I feel i can discus alot with you on the heath stret and the area as i know very well
I will not say no more for now but you will not regret coming on this forum i can assure you
as there is alot of people from heath street whom are members here that i can tell you
i will not say in advance whom they are but soon as they see your thread you will get a response from them and
I am prety sure you willknow there names Astonian,,,
Hi
My dad owned parkers Rag merchants and the Moult family if it was Harry Moult he had business dealings with my dad ....I was born in 1951 and lived at the rag merchants till I was run over in heath street not sure if it was a car horse and cart or lorry that ran me over.
Any info would be gratefully received

Hi June and welcome to the forum, could this be referring to your accident?

Attachments

• birmingham-post-24071954.jpg
    birmingham-post-24071954.jpg
    545.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
My mom was raised on heath street, number 277 almost opposite the baths. These threads have taken her down memory lane and she has really enjoyed reminiscing. She has fond memories of growing up there.

A photo from another thread ... :)
This view along Heath Street towards the junction with Winson Green Road shows the Shakespeare Inn on the corner. The date is c1966.
index.php

In the newspapers Climax Radio is mentioned as Heath St adjoining Dudley Road, so wondering, with the Street sign on the wall as well, if it was somewhere here...

0 - Heath St.jpg

Hi
My dad owned parkers Rag merchants and the Moult family if it was Harry Moult he had business dealings with my dad ....I was born in 1951 and lived at the rag merchants till I was run over in heath street not sure if it was a car horse and cart or lorry that ran me over.
Any info would be gratefully received
My Dad worked for Parkers for a short time. His name was Frank Willis and I have a feeling my grandfather David Downing worked for them. I actually met Harold Moult but as I was a snotty kid at the time can't remember too much. He did make me laugh, I remember that much. I used to scrounge lifts on the carts from St Patricks school all down Heath St to Parkers. We actually lived at 11/387 Heath Street so not far away from the yard.

Back