• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

HEATH STREET - Before and After

Heath Street

master brummie
Probably looking for something impossible? - as former resident of Heath Street - Dudley Rd End I wondered if anyone would have any idea if I could obtain a newspaper cutting, photograph or the like of Heath Street before and then after demolition and also if possible to get a photograph of the bacs to bacs in this street. My parents lived at no. 2 bac 28 and grandparents at 2 bac 30. Many thanks for any help - Val

Hiya Heath Street
Hope someone can come up with a pic ..i do know there is one on the forum ..if you type it in the search box it should come up..i remember the houses well

Better 2 than none, Astoness! Shame we can't see the numbers on the doors, though. 28 and 30 would have been about 3/4 the way to Dudley Rd as seen in our pics, probably on the right. The back houses must have been in consecutive 'alleys' as they were both no2.

yes ive tried in vain to make out the numbers...still at least there are a couple of piccies...had rellies myself in the 1860s in heath street...no number though on the birth cert...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Heath Street

From the house numbers you have given I assume the houses you are after were located in Heath Street between Dudley Rd and Winson Green Rd.

I have one aged photo of that section of the road and that would be on the opposite side of the road to where you want. It may be possible to obtain a photo of the street fronting properties No's 28 & 30. But I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting one of the back houses. Now I've said that someone will turn one up within a few days.

I have lifted a photo off Google for you showing what section of Heath St is like today. The shops in my photo would be on the left and the houses you are looking for would have been on the right. Hope I've got that the right way around.

Phil

WinsonGreenHeathSt.jpg
heathst.jpg

Hi Heath Street

From the house numbers you have given I assume the houses you are after were located in Heath Street between Dudley Rd and Winson Green Rd.

I have one aged photo of that section of the road and that would be on the opposite side of the road to where you want. It may be possible to obtain a photo of the street fronting properties No's 28 & 30. But I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting one of the back houses. Now I've said that someone will turn one up within a few days.

I have lifted a photo off Google for you showing what section of Heath St is like today. The shops in my photo would be on the left and the houses you are looking for would have been on the right. Hope I've got that the right way around.

Phil

Yes I think you are right Phil, I have found that usually odd numbers are on the left and even numbers on the right on 'Main roads' as you face towards the city centre. I think you're about right with the location as well, numbering would have started at the Dudley Rd end of Heath St, being closest to the city.

Phil, Lloyd, Lyn and Maggieuk - GOSH did not expect that sort of response, many thanks to you all, I suppose the good thing is that the area today is much cleaner, brighter, better living conditions but with THAT SPECIAL SOMETHING MISSING? Yes we were half way between Dudley Road and Winson Green Road, I definitely remember a pub on the corner of Dudley Road and Heath Street with Dark Green Tiles and newagents (I Think) opposite that sold Midland Counties Ice Cream - Rasberry Ripple - the things we remember - it was 50 years ago..............I bet no-one would have a photo of the bacs as so few people would have owned a camera, anymore photos gratefully received. - regards Val.

Hiya Heath Street
The pub on the corner was the Leabridge Tavern ..they had a door on the street that led down to a cellar ..this was called the Tagus Bar and on Saturday evening was full of us kids ..i am sure Astonian will be along to tell you more

quote I suppose the good thing is that the area today is much cleaner, brighter,
don't want to upset anyone but no i don't think so

Hello maggieuk - what a quick reply -memories came flooding back - I note your last sentence - it just looks better on the photo but looks can be deceiving? Approx 10 years ago I walked from Gas Street along the canal until reaching Heath Street, clambered up the bank arrived at top to feel heartbroken at the site before me - just mounds of earth with rubbish blowing about - it was the 1 and only time I had returned, so after looking at the photo I instantly thought 'what an improvement' of sorts. Will await Astonian with interest - Val

I remember in the 60s .Climax Radio moved over the road from the Leabridge .(.still on the corner of Heath Street )..everyone in our road rented a tele of them..also down the bottom of Heath Street was the baths ..we used to go down there every Friday after work..i remember the back houses really well ..

Hi Heath Street

Phil

Could be you'd find the street number of Climax Radio in an old Kellys, or old phone book. I'm pretty sure they were on the corner of Dudley Rd by the late 60s though. iirc the first job interview I ever had was there. Walked all the way from Monument Rd in about 12" of snow and still didnt get the job lol.

Yep Col you are right it was on the right hand side of Heath Street and Dudley Road ..(as you looked down from Dudley Road)..on the left was the pub
that was a bit of a walk in the snow ..lol

Climax radio are listed in heath St (as apart from other streets) from about 1951-5 at no 3 Heath St.

Hiya Mike yes it was just in Heath Street in the 50s ..then in the 60s it moved to the corner of Heath St /Dudley Road .

also rented a t v from climax too and used to go the tagus on a saturday night omg memories coming back on heath st next to the lee bridge was a tailors shop and yes used to go to the baths on a friday and the cafe on the corner of tudor street and heath street good old days so much has changed now and heath street and round thw winson green cuthbert road sides really unkempt and untidy

A photo of the Lee Bridge Tavern back in 1954 on the corner of Dudley Rd and Heath St. I think it is the only original building still standing.

maggieuk the only place I ever remember using in Heath St was shebeen in the cellar of a café on the corner of Cuthbert St is where I think it was located, but I'm not too sure. In fact there is not a lot of things about those times I am very sure about.

Phil

WinsonGreenLeeBridgeTavernHeathStreet1954.jpg

Blimey !!! i live in Winson Street 1965 -77.forgot all about the Public Baths ,betting shop was on the Corner,Pub opposite name i have forgotten at moment ,GKN factory ,
Its amazing what does come back when you read these blogs , :)

HI PHIL
We must have crossed pathes in the past if you you to used the shabeen at week ends
you have really openened my mind of those golden ages for me
so there is a good chance we both know alot of the old crowd that frequently used it
especialy the all nighters ; there was one or two shabeens operating around the hat quarter in those days
some-one mentioned the numbers of heath street i think the odd numbers was on the same side as the lee bridge as you go down the street , just yartds from the taveren on heath street was the bus stop to go up
heath street the first house past the pub back yard was my old friend and girl friend
linda kavana and her brotheres was also my very good friends of mine
and i think it was 103 ;or 107 heath street and opersite hem more or less was the other friends of mine the campbells and abit further along was he kellys ; friends and then there was the paynes these was on the oppersite side of the rd to kavana,s
i can recall most people from heath street top and bottom end of the street

Blimey !!! i live in Winson Street 1965 -77.forgot all about the Public Baths ,betting shop was on the Corner,Pub opposite name i have forgotten at moment ,GKN factory ,
Its amazing what does come back when you read these blogs , :)

if my memory serves me hoe it shud im sure the pub was the albion right opposite winson street then there was the shaeakspeare which was situated at the corner of winson green road and heath street junction xx

Top of the morning to you katy
right bang on again your memory is good
can you recall the little side rd ust before you hit heath street
and just before the little scout hut or brownies
and it was on the oppersite side to the shakespear pub
best wishes astonion ;;

The Scout hut by Cuthbert Rd (or the chapel that stood next to it, perhaps) is about the only original property left at the Heath St / Winson Green Rd junction - although it's the local Bengali Institution building now. Signs of the times, eh?

HI LLOYED
Many thanks for that info; for putting my head out of misery , i have been racking my cells for the last
twenty four hours to recall that side road i thought it was some think else
still may be i am thinking of another rd down that street
yes how sad ; its a sign of the times and how sad to see the area run down
why don,nt the council regenerate that part of the city
after all you have got the city hospital just along the rd
theres no question about it the whole of winson green wants to be rebourne and generted
i don,nt think the slums of london are that bad its sure is a poor part of our great city
as i am to beleive brum a great city but a poor society the next third world coming up
in my eyes and mind ;they are more conerned in property than of people
and i do know money breeds money and thats all they think about in this society forget the people
the rich are getting richer and tjhe poor are getting poorer its becoming a fight of survival
and only the rich will survive
once again lloyed thanks for the answer best wishes astonion ;;

Hi
I have a family business card for the address below circa 1800-1900
SA 181 289 Heath Street Established over 50 years. I think it may relate to a builders or carpenters.
Also 273 Heath Street 1881 Edward Edwards
Can anyone show any light on this information.
Annie

hi annie
there was only one builders and plumbing merchasnts whom dealt with most of the building trade
which was down the bottom half of heath street and at this precice moment of the hour as i am popping of to bed
they was ther during the sixties and sevinties the name of the the street escapes me at this hour but i am sure i will recall it by morning
it was about three or four streets down on the right as you walk down you would have walkedpassed the moults family
rag and bone and scrap yard and there house next to the public baths and i seem to recall it being on the next corner
of heath street and the rd i just cannot put my finger on and next door there was a very little commutity residents club
and that those two premises was about three hundred yards from the GKN ; GUEST KEEN AND NETTLEFOLDS ;
the side road i am trying to think of would have taken you passing little shops and the feeney family house
i thought i might drop that in the mentioning as it may help some one else but at the top of the street was the yorkshire grey pub
but yes i would also like to mention your name val rings in my vision and thinking of heath street there is a chance we may have crossed pathes my name was and is alan as i am thinking of the particular block you are coming from
well annie i will go and sleep on it now there was a girl by thename of carol whos uncle used to drive the van for the tv shop whom i also knew
from heath street the lower end the names are numerous to mention
so i hope mike our expert with street maps may be put is finger on the street i am trying to think of at this hour
best wishes astonian

Annie
For no 289 Heath St
1888-1900 it was a boot dealer
Between 1884 & 1888 street was renumbered. This doesn’t effect what you are looking for, but I would emphasise that before this it was not same building as after.
1884 Henry Slater, shopkeeper
Before that- Not listed. Before 1868 no houses with numbers higher than about 170 are listed, which indicates that the house may have been built after this.
There is no listing in 1878, 1879,1890, 1892 or 1894 for no 273 Heath St

Back