• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Have your taste buds changed over the years?.

Wendy.ask the butcher too save you a couple.Chop them into one inch pieces and boil them till they are soft ( about an hour )then put them in the stew. It's only pork after all.But so tasty.As for the dripping the wife bought a small piece of Beef for the 2 of us,but the brown juice that came out of it was lovely.It went on my toast a treat on Mon & Tues.

Sugar When a nipper loved the stuff Dad use to say " John, sugar is to sweeten not to thicken" Now I can't stand the stuff Lost my sweet tooth I guess. Even prefer apple pie a little on the tart side.

When I lived in South Derbyshire an old lady told me about boney pie, made with a pigs tail, trotter, some water and coverd in pastry. It was subsistence food.

John,

I can't stand any of the Greek traditional desserts, they'll all too sweet for me.

Castalla,

All the salt has been removed, that's why there's no taste in anything any longer.

Maurice

When l moved to texas in 1958, l knew things would be different but never ever thought food would be the top of the list...being raised in aston on what I would call bland food it was a shock to find there was very view bland tasting foods here...BBQ was the worst stuff l had ever eaten but love it now..and fried chicken was the best and still is but living so near to Mexico the influence is a favourite everywhere l like some of it but not the very hot stuff...l've learned to like tamales burritos and tacos etc but at least we are able to get them in a mild form...l still cook the English way can'nt beat a roast beef, roast potatoes greens and gravy that what we had for dinner yesterday .. don't know if my taste buds or not but if one eats some Mexican chilies believe me those buds will wake up in a hurry....Brenda
How funny beef brisket chicken fried steak country gravy fried okra black eyed peas on new year miss it all, but bisto a roast and roast potatoes still a favorite Along with beans on toast egg and chips I could just go on

Wendy.ask the butcher too save you a couple.Chop them into one inch pieces and boil them till they are soft ( about an hour )then put them in the stew. It's only pork after all.But so tasty.As for the dripping the wife bought a small piece of Beef for the 2 of us,but the brown juice that came out of it was lovely.It went on my toast a treat on Mon & Tues.

Hi Edifi, Will try my butcher see if he has any
Wendy

Nice to hear from you.Think you will enjoy them if you do them the way the good lady does.Only have them in the Winter Stews

It is funny how your taste changes. As a boy there were lots of things I just did not like. All veg with the exception of peas. I now eat most veg now.

I still don't like cabbage of any sort, especially cooked. Of the Greek vegetables generally offered, I always refuse augergine, artichoke, okra, and horta (a bit like cooked dandelion leaves). Can just about cope with olives in polite company, but would not eat out of choice. I eat most cheeses, though some are pretty tasteless.

Maurice

As a child the only cheese I would eat was kraft cheese slices and the only coffee I would drink was the liquified sweetened Camp coffee that came in a bottle. Today I wouldn't touch either, there are loads of things that I never even tasted as a child that I wouldn't touch now. I won't touch offal of any kind no matter what it is dressed up as, I wouldn't eat fish of any kind as a child, but in the last ten years or so I have come around to eating battered fish and sometimes kippers on occasion. I've never tasted pasta, spaghetti or pizza and I doubt I ever will, and although I spend pounds in McDonalds on my grandchildren I have only ever had one bite out of a big mac and I spat that out much to the annoyance of my wife (no I didn't spit it at her).

We eat what we like, we no longer have to eat any particular food - it's our choice, and long may it stay that way. I won't eat any form of pasta either, but not a problem when I've been in Italy. Chicken was not easy to find there though.

Maurice

Maurice

I still don't like cabbage of any sort, especially cooked. Of the Greek vegetables generally offered, I always refuse augergine, artichoke, okra, and horta (a bit like cooked dandelion leaves). Can just about cope with olives in polite company, but would not eat out of choice. I eat most cheeses, though some are pretty tasteless.

Maurice

Hi sospiri,

I've only ever been to Corfu in the Greek Islands namely: Sidari, Kassiopi & Paleokatrista. I have to admit that in general we all love the traditional Greek dishes (meat, fish etc) but, would agree with you 100% the vegetables leave alot to be desired as does the cheese except of course feta cheese (great with salad).

Lozellian.

Sugar When a nipper loved the stuff Dad use to say " John, sugar is to sweeten not to thicken" Now I can't stand the stuff Lost my sweet tooth I guess. Even prefer apple pie a little on the tart side.
That would be an Apple Tart then

Bob

I can only drink coffee black now, very strong with no sugar, the thought of coffee with no milk when I was younger would have been a definite no no

When I lived in the UK I would eat almost nothing...no appetite for anything that resembled vegetables or meat. Now...I more or less eat everything. My opinion is that most children have a stronger sense of taste and as you age, you taste buds diminish, just my 2 cents worth...
Dave A

Always wonder what that Coffee the Cowboys had of the Chuckwagon tasted like all those years ago.Never had it without milk

I'll throw a grenade through the door and say that milk spoils good coffee! :)
What first got me on black and sweet was the Brazilian film O Cangaceiro (The Bandit) where the bandits are sitting around the campfire brewing the stuff. An Anglicised version of the song even got into the hit parade - this was the 50s! Cliff Richard & The Shadows even did a version of it some years later.

Maurice

Bob,

Somewhere, and I've a vague idea it was connected with Cadburys, used to show foreign films once a month, and a mate and I used to go regularly. O Cangaceiro was one I remembered and enjoyed. It was apparently Brazil's first international film success and was remade in 1997, but I bet it wasn't half as exciting as the original black & white version.

I was virtually force fed Tripe cooked in milk. My grandad sold it in his cafe on Tyburn rd, and i spent hours stirring and turning it in a big old clothes boiler! With a wooden clothes plier sort of thing. Hated it then, and still do!
I loved sausage and mash made by my nan, salt and butter galore. My mom Was, and at 92, still is, a hopeless cook. Tinned peas and great chunks of boiled potato with everything- Never varied. But agreat Mom in every other way. Discovered Stilton, Asparagus, Tiramisu, Partridge and Pheasant, Claret, Pears in Honey, and other delights in my teens. Crispy bacon in USA, salted pork neck in Germany, Kebabs on the street in Turkey.
Took me 40 years to get Diabetes, 1 heart attack and Kidney Cancer. NHS sorted me out, i stopped smoking, and now live in the most food obsessed country in the world!
In 3 years i doubt i have sampled 5% of what is on offer here, but i try to behave. I have Muesli or porridge for brekkie every day, my wife and her mom pity me as they tuck into sticky rice, fish soup, chickens feet, god knows how many dishes of spiced up veggies and various leaves from the garden and fields. Bananas, mangoes, mangosteens, longans and numerous other fruits grow in the garden and fish and lumps of pork appear from friendly neighbours.
I have discovered baked beans in Tesco Lotus, only 60km away, and managed to make a cottage pie with Australian Beef last month. Looks of horror from Thai neighbours, (cows are virtual house pets), but a big baking dish of it swiftly disappeared when offered with a cold beer!
Would give much fine gold for a good sticky toffee pudding.

Nice story, John. I'm afraid I am not a very adventurous eater - if it doesn't look "right", then I won't try it, and I need to know of any unusal ingredients! I love fish, shrimps, prawns, crab, and when I can afford it, lobster. But on the no-no list are all other shellfish, octopus, kalimari, cuttlefish and any other weird stuff.
As far as meat is concerned, I only eat chicken & occasionally turkey, but no offal of any kind. The locals eat snails, mussels, and other things on my no-no list. There's plenty of snails in the garden, but they don't appear to take up my offer of "help yourself"! :)

Maurice

Hi Maurice, Like you, i back off from some of the weird things that my wife, and to a greater extent, her mom will eat with relish.Today we were in the daily market and many of the local women set up stall,( a cardboard box), on the roadside. I saw Ginka, ?spelling?, a sort of 12"-18" lizard. Skinned and cooked, something in a liquid in a plastic bag, which my wife said was python, and several scrawny, plucked fowl which may once have been related to a crow.
Not being tempted, we got our usual chicken, pork and went in search of giant prawns or seabass. Alas, storms have kept the boats inshore so no luck.
The usual prepared, ready to eat meals are offered in plastic bags closed with a rubber band and with a side dish of spicy sauce for any suicidal foreigners. Locals shell out 40p or so and look fit enough on it!
Thai deserts are usually coconut milk based, and a bit bland, but we have established rapport with an enterprising lady who will come up with my choice of banana, caramel, orange or strawberry based concoctions, some of which are stunning! At about 35p for half a pint we try them all and report back!

Sounds like you got it sussed, John - don't eat what you don't trust. And Greek sweets are all sugar, so I always opt for a scoop of plain vanilla ice cream, not that I feel like eating much more by the time I get to that stage anyway, and most places offer fresh fruit anyway.

Maurice

I absolutely love creamy blue Stilton, sitting there on the evening with cherry tomatoes, Jacob's crackers, some grapes and a wedge of Stilton. I also love black pudding, which I've eaten for as long as I can remember, I could only imagine what my boy would say if I offered him black pudding or Stilton. Feel sorry for folks now though, everything is in a plastic tray with a peel off cellophane top which you blast for 3 minutes in a box then call it a meal. Speed food is all kids eat now just processed rubbish

ade,When I worked at Marsh & Baxters in the garage I can't tell you how many Rings of Black Pudding I cadged of the sales men.I have tried and tried it were we live but none tastes like M&Bs did.We used to get up to Brum 3-4 times a year and get nice Black pudding in the meat market.
Like Maurice I'm into seafoods.Last weekend went down to Folkestone ,came back with some very large Crabs Claws andPrawns also some lovely Cod and Skate Knobs

ade,When I worked at Marsh & Baxters in the garage I can't tell you how many Rings of Black Pudding I cadged of the sales men.I have tried and tried it were we live but none tastes like M&Bs did.We used to get up to Brum 3-4 times a year and get nice Black pudding in the meat market.
Like Maurice I'm into seafoods.Last weekend went down to Folkestone ,came back with some very large Crabs Claws andPrawns also some lovely Cod and Skate Knobs
Yes you are right there Edifi some companies definitely make a far superior black pudding than the off the shelf stuff. It's a bit like scratching's the proper market one's are superb compared to the mass manufactured pub brand one's

Saying about scratchings.My uncle when he had RTP Crisps my father fried the pork Scratching for him .He named them Porky with a pig in a butchers apron on.The are still made today but in CORBY.There is a Co in Tamworth that make a good tasting one as well.We by them from Home Bargains were we live in Kent

Back