• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Have your taste buds changed over the years?.

When I was still at work my uncle and I would occasionally pop over to Thompsons the pork butcher on Lichfield road next to Ansells brewery. My uncle used to go the whole hog (no pun intended) he would stock up on chitterlings, tripe, heart, kidneys, liver, tongue, brawn & chawl and I'm sure there was something called hodge. He would actually eat all that stuff, just looking at it made me feel ill. Myself it was just a couple of pounds of bacon and some sausage though I have to say I missed the shop when it closed because what I purchased from there was good stuff.

I remember buying in the 1970s and 80s jars of Shippams Paste. You could get salmon, other fish and various meat pastes and they were used as sandwich fillers. I believe that they are still produced but haven't used any for years. Dave.

Still available amongst the Princes and own brands in most superstores.
0000050102372_L.jpeg

Oh no not fish paste! Used to dread getting that for sandwiches. It seemed to taste more fishy than fish! Along a similar line, Heinz Sandwich Spread, also still available for those so inclined. I liked it, but I think only because it was usually the only thing left in the cupboard. Well it would be a toss up between sandwich spread or a lard sandwich. Yes, I'm serious, a LARD sandwich. Can't say I find lard very appetising these days, all that grease, aaaagh. Viv.

I came from chichester where shippams uswed to be until they were taken over and eventually the factory closed. At one time (when I was young) they made very good fresh products like pies, sausages etc, but the pastes were never something I fancied. The mother of a friend who worked there stripping the chickens (all done by hand in those days) was off for a week with a badly strained (or sprained ) wrist caused by how tough the old hens were they used.

Strawberries - lovely when fresh but sadly a fruit I cannot eat today.

Lard! WOW! But they some say recently that it is not as bad for you as certain oils. However a great by-product of lard, when used for cooking meat is.......wait for it.....dripping. How well that goes with toast.
k035.gif

I can remember my first ever taste of a banana which were unobtainable when I was a child. I was 8 years old and one banana had been obtained which was shared by everyone in the family - I got an half inch slice !
They still taste the same today ...
encouragement.png

Still to be seen on BBC1 iPlayer is "Len and Ainsley's Big Food Adventure". Episode 4 concentrates on Birmingham and there are lots of shots of Victoria Square and the Bull Ring Markets. Apparently, Pearce's Fish Stall, in the Bull Ring Market, has been in the family for 175 years. A short interview with the current owner is shown. The influence of Polish, Asian and other cultures on our choices of food are recorded. Dave.

I would never eat butter or cheese on a sandwich they made me feel nauseous. Looking back I think it was proberly the amount my Mother put on the bread. When butter and cheese came of rationing I think my parents made up for lost time. I only started eating butter and cheese sandwich about five years ago and i'm 65 now.

Bluesky
I think I had a similar view with ice cream . when I was young i only liked Lyons ice cream, which I would now think pretty horrible and tasteless. Walls , for me at the time , was sickly creamy " Now I would think both equally thin and tasteless

When I was still at work my uncle and I would occasionally pop over to Thompsons the pork butcher on Lichfield road next to Ansells brewery. My uncle used to go the whole hog (no pun intended) he would stock up on chitterlings, tripe, heart, kidneys, liver, tongue, brawn & chawl and I'm sure there was something called hodge. He would actually eat all that stuff, just looking at it made me feel ill. Myself it was just a couple of pounds of bacon and some sausage though I have to say I missed the shop when it closed because what I purchased from there was good stuff.

must admit i used to love chittlings phil.dad got his from the lozells road...oh and pigs trotters:D...still buy liver..tongue and kidneys...take it you have the photo of thompsons butchers??

lyn

My taste buds are much the same as always. Love a fierce hot curry, though i prefer whiskey to beer these days (less time running to the loo) Always hated tomatoes, cucumber, love raddish & raw carrots & swede....a cup of hot oxo with a cheese sarnie on proper bread & butter, & on Sundays tinned peach with a thick slab of bread & proper butter.

I used to be mad on condensed milk, especially on a "piece".
Just the thought of it these days makes my teeth ache !

If you had that much its perhaps a wonder you still have teeth. I must admit though thtayears ago I was working on a project that involved condensed milk and it arrived in something like 20litre containers. For a while I scoffed a lot (only used about a litre from each for the work), but after a while it just made me feel sick

A LITRE of condensed milk ?
Blimey, I'm talking about a sandwich !
The state of my teeth is down to a long time consuming Mars Bars in the British Army,

What is available in Crete via Lidl and described as "condensed milk" is actually evaporated milk, but the other day I actually found the real stuff - when you shook it, you couldn't hear it and the sugar content was about 38%. I actually bought a can, though I suspect it will stay on the cupboard shelf for quite a while yet. This really was an impulse buy!

Maurice

Oh no not fish paste! Used to dread getting that for sandwiches. It seemed to taste more fishy than fish! Along a similar line, Heinz Sandwich Spread, also still available for those so inclined. I liked it, but I think only because it was usually the only thing left in the cupboard. Well it would be a toss up between sandwich spread or a lard sandwich. Yes, I'm serious, a LARD sandwich. Can't say I find lard very appetising these days, all that grease, aaaagh. Viv.
Mmm sandwich spread luverly and I loved sardine and tomato fish paste.

Sardine & Tomato and Salmon Pastes - love it. I order up two jars of each every fortnight from my local British Food Shop, and it's great on fresh crusty bread. A bit more expensive than you pay in the UK, as it has to be specially shipped in, but well worth it. :cool:

Maurice

Just gone through most of the posts but no one as mentioned PIGS TAILS .Mom worked at Marsh & Baxters and always bought home pigs tails during the war.Still have them know in stews.The butcher says I'm weird.Also dripping on toast.Superb

Just gone through most of the posts but no one as mentioned PIGS TAILS .Mom worked at Marsh & Baxters and always bought home pigs tails during the war.Still have them know in stews.The butcher says I'm weird.Also dripping on toast.Superb

Hi Edifi I had pigs trotters as a kid but I have never tried pigs tails.:(
Love the dripping on toast.

Back