• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Have your taste buds changed over the years?.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
When I was a child things such as sprouts liver cheese and coffee played no part in my life as they made me feel ill just to look at let alone smell them. All of these are now at the top of my list like list. I only drink decafe though. Love to hear your thoughts on the subject. Jean.

I couldn't stand peanuts, I had never tried them but the smell made me feel sick, now I love them

Pat I used to think curry was awful maybe because we had an Indian gentleman move in next door in Holte road and being a semi you would get second hand smell seaping through. Was I mistaken I love the stuff now but don't over induldge or you could get fed up with it. Jean.

As a lad I could not bear cheddar cheese and mustard.
Now give me a crusty roll and add a few shards of onion then you can pile all the cheese and English mustard as you wish.

On the opposite side my mother served me, as a lad, with tripe and onions. Loved it but whether it is that my lady cannot do it the same way as my mother I have lost the taste for it
Will.

Well I've never like egg yolks & that's not changed throughout my life. Still hate sprouts, cabbage etc too. I used to like fish when I was younger but now cant stand the stuff. I've always loved Bovril ever since I was little. So nope, very little has changed in the tastebud stakes for me.

I used to eat apples, pears (scrumped from the next door garden tree) as a boy, but can't touch fresh fruit now. Cooked, its OK, but fresh - no way. I hated fish, but it's a favourite now. Coffee used to be made in a perculator from ground coffee beans, but I can't remember the taste. Perhaps it was too strong and I wasn't allowed it, like American kids.
Yes, tastes and desires change.

My taste buds have barely changed... as a child I loved sprouts, all sorts of vegetables and I used to love brains on toast which my mum used to make (with calves brains, I believe). The only thing I can remember not liking was anything that involved melted cheese.. and I'm still the same today.
I often wonder what the reaction would be if we served our kids brains on toast today! :eek:)
I also remember being allergic to barley sugar.

All The Best
John.

As a child I liked food to be bland tasteless and I hated fresh vegetables. Now I like strong savory tastes and love all sorts of veg ( but they do not seem to be as strong as I remember ,particularly carrots). I am much more adventurous with food and drink , willing to try (as my parents would have said ) any foreign muck.
Learning to cook has certainly altered the way I look at food, and eat it.

Hi all,

when I was young even the smell of mustard made me feel sick - now I love a ham sandwich loaded with English Mustard ( and a few slices of onion)

Dianne that is also something I hated as a child. I ate the mild stuff German or French on a hot dog at the kiddies matinee at Perry Barr picture house. I love the stuff now and call it a mustard rush. Jean.

I remember being give a cup of tea by my Gran when I was 5 or 6. I spat it out. Guess what?
I still can't stand it nearly 60 years on!

As a kid i could not eat any meats bacon ect; i did not eat any kind of meat until i was 18...now i could eat a scabby cow...love meat

Mau-reece

Never have liked sprouts, but do eat 3 or 4 just to be good the same with liver a small amount, I cook it occasionally as my hubby Andre loves it. Don't go alot on perculated coffee, it's usually too strong, I am a tea person but do like it fairly strong. So I don't think my taste buds have changed much. Sorry I have never tried brains, at least to my knowledge and the thought of it ugh. Perhaps I should try some I wonder if they would encourage my old brain cells to jump into action.

Never have liked sprouts, but do eat 3 or 4 just to be good the same with liver a small amount, I cook it occasionally as my hubby Andre loves it. Don't go alot on perculated coffee, it's usually too strong, I am a tea person but do like it fairly strong. So I don't think my taste buds have changed much. Sorry I have never tried brains, at least to my knowledge and the thought of it ugh. Perhaps I should try some I wonder if they would encourage my old brain cells to jump into action.

I used to love liver as a kid and I still do now.
As for the brains, I bet they're illegal now, what with BSE etc.
I do remember them as looking exactly like...erm, well... brains! All grey and reticulated!
I seem to remember them having a really delicate and delicious taste. Not sure if I could eat them now, though.

All The Best
John.

Ohhh, my mother used to do brains on toast when I was a kid - they were a rare treat! With lots of pepper on (white pepper of course - she rather daringly had a special peppermill for black peppercorns, though.) I loved them.

No one else ever seemed to have them, and I'm still regarded as a bit weird if I mention this delicacy. Think I first had them when too young to understand what "brains" really were, so I was completely unbiased.

I love a good hot and spicey curry, here in Aldridge we have a good choice to eat in or takeaway . Remember Vesta curries from the 60s Yuk.

Mike

Alf, I'm with you on this. BAN IT!
Phoebe, my Mom used to love brains on toast. I bought some about 20 years ago, followed the instructions regarding cooking them, served them up and.............promptly chucked them in the bin. It was the smell! I really wanted to enjoy them but I couldn't.

Ban BROCCOLI

NOOOOOOO!!!
It's lovely! as are Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Carrots, Swede, Turnip, and Parsnip. (None of which I would touch as a child.)

Make some chips from a couple of Parsnips and fry them, mmmm delicious!!! Go on, try it!

I always put three sticks of celery (chopped into approx squares) into stews and casseroles, the difference it makes is FANTASTIC!!

As a child l was the most finickey eater, did'nt like this that or the other of course growing up through the war years was hard on the taste buds but.....mom started working full time and l had to have school meals....l found out if you did,nt clean your plate you did'nt get pudding....so l was forced to eat cabbage carrots greenbeans stew etc only to find out it was all pretty good and can honestly say l will eat anything now ...but will never touch brains, my father would have then on toast also tripe ugh!! and my mom always ate pigs trotters another ugh!! Brenda

Never ban brocoli I love it and believe it or not I love brains on toast. Managed to buy some along with a pigs head a couple of months ago. Just coat them in seasoned flour and drop them in red hot olive oil. Delicious. I found out a few years ago that I enjoyed cows udder but you can't get it now. I was forced to eat bananas as a child because I was always sickly and the doctor said they were good for you. The thought of putting one in my mouth now makes me feel ill. Jean.

Having lived in 4 different countries and as a racing cyclist having to live out of a suitcase for some time, I've learned to savour most types of food. I also love cooking and experimenting with different tastes. We are blessed with taste buds and as food is the next best thing to sex and stunt flying, everyone should learn to make the most of this wonderful gift that we are born with, 'taste'.

Graham.

my husband LOVES CHITTERLINGS AND HODGE, give him those and crusty buttered bread and he,s a happy bunny

Back