• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth Old Town Hall

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all...just wondered if any members who lived in handsworth have ever visited the old town hall...

its a rare medieval survival...dating back before 1500..
it has been used as a community meeting place...the village jail and also a workhouse...

location at the junction of slack lane and oxhill road...will try and go and see this as it seems most interesting...

heres a 1940 drawing of it...

astoness:)

Hi Lyn

I have never been to the Old Town Hall, but it is the main meeting place of the Handsworth Historical Society and is in Slack Lane Handsworth. Slack lane is at the side of St.Andrews Church, Oxhill Road.

It does look a very interesting old building and one I should love to visit one day. It used to be called Cruck House. I would image this was because of the Crucks method of timber frame construction.

Judy

yes judy i was reading about that...i must try and have a look at it one day...thats another one for the list..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

lyn:)

The Kruck House, was a subject on the forum some years ago now. Paul Holmes and me emailed the council to see if there were any plans to give it some attention as it had been sadly neglected. I did get a negative sort of reply saying very little, Paul didn't even get that. If you go Lyn maybe you can see if there has been any work done to conserve the building.
If you follow this link you can follow the the posts and see that really no one cares enough to get the place sorted out. It's so hard to believe.
Not sure how to get them interested.
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=388&highlight=Cruck+House

Last edited:
Lyn

Heres a photo of the old town hall to go with your drawing. I didn't know you were an artist.

Phil

Attachments

• Handsworth Slack Lane, Colege Rd Old Town Hall.jpg
    Handsworth Slack Lane, Colege Rd Old Town Hall.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 4
I can remember being told at primary school that Cruck Cottage was where Prince Rupert stayed the night before he tried to oust the Parliamentarians from Birmingham. However, I've since read that it was the other way round, and that the Roundheads stayed there as they pursued the Royalist army through the Midlands. So which tale is true?

Big Gee

big gee....either way the story is fascinating...

lol phil...i couldnt even draw a cat..thanks for that lovely pic...

di..cant beleive no one really cares about this building...i shall be going to take a look at it tomorrow.....

lyn:):)

hi lynn
when is this place open ,do you know the opening hours
i never knew that excisted ,i probaly seen the building but never knew what it
was . its amazing ,because i was a milkman around handsworth for years for
for midland counties dairy,s .many years ago
have a nice day best wishes astonian ;;

good morning astonian....like you i never knew of its existance until yesterday....i am not even sure what it is used for now...handsworth historical society was mentioned....i will be taking meself down there tomorrow to have a look and will let you know whats going on with it now....

have a nice day despite all the rain..

cheers terry..missed this months then...i will still pop down tomorrow and have a look at the place...

Here are two views of the Old Town Hall taken from Images of England - Handsworth, Hockley and Handsworth Wood, compiled by Peter Drake:

lovely pics judy..thanks....i will post some tomorrow...cant wait to get there now....:D...oh and i may also have a look at st marys church....

lyn

hi folks..just got back...what a truely amazing building this is...its strange how half of it is addressed as 51 college road and the other is 20 slack lane....its amazing to find this in what is now a well built up area...it looks so out of place but it is so good that we still have it...i have some work to do now so i will download and post the pics later on..my son borrowed the good camera so i used the other one....if i am not happy with them i will retake them tomorrow...i also went to st marys church and st andrews...

ttfn..

lyn:):):)

as promised some pics of the old town hall...i am not to happy with the quality and will not be using this camera again...it seems to blow hot and cold..:D:D

lyn

got caught on some spikey things taking these of the back.of the bulding.not much room for movement....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Some more great photos, well done Lyn:)
I wouldn't knock that camera, seems to be doing a adequate job:)

thanks froth but compere them to the round house ones i took and there is a big difference...its just that i struggle to get the better one in me bag what with all the junk i carry around....:D:D:Dmust have a clear out...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

thanks froth but compere them to the round house ones i took and there is a big difference...its just that i struggle to get the better one in me bag what with all the junk i carry around....:D:D:Dmust have a clear out...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I bought Cath a new camera for her birthday ( what she wanted) I'm looking forward to using it:D

Back