• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Greenway Street, Small Heath

Great photo !

Shall move this thread to an existing one about the street. Members with an interest are more likely to see it there. Thanks for posting.

Viv.

Edit - done.

Couple of pictures from my late Dad to those interested in Greenway Street - Don Stockton with my Gran Lizzie Humphries. She and husband Bill kept a shop a few doors up from Stocktons. A 1925 Calendar from Williams' Electric Laundry. Dad's Gran Mary Ann McNab was Manager there.View attachment 156596View attachment 156597
Well well well. You live and learn. I didn’t know Stockton’s Bakery and Humphries Sweeties & Pop were family related. Must tell my mum (97). We lived half way up Mount Terrace and I went to Tilton Road Junior & Infant School. May and George Brown had the first shop on the left turning into Greenway Street from Coventry Road. They had a daughter called Yvonne. According to my mum, May had a good head for business. Yvonne and I went to dancing school together. A place on the Coventry Road passed Victoria Park and sort of opposite Our Holy Family Catholic Church. May’s shop was opposite the greengrocers. They moved to Pershore Road(?). A “ladies separates” shop (knickers, bras and cardigans). My Aunt & Uncle took over the shop for a short time before relocating to Yardley.

Who was living in Greenway Street a year before the start of WW1?

Thanks

Terry
My great grandparents Harry and Ellen Houghton were living at 112 Greenway Street with their two sons Harry and Frederick. Subsequently Harry married and he and his family, including my mother, lived there until 1936. My mother wrote a short book about her early life in Birmingham, ‘Dad and Me, a Birmingham Story’ published by Shoestring Press in 2013.

My Dad, Harry Rice, was born in 1919 in Greenway Street, No 1 Back of 19. His Grandparents and Great Grandparents the Cross family/Trewollah also lived in Greenway Street from Victorian times. The men were all Omnibus/Tram Drivers along the Coventry Road. I remember visiting my Grandparents up a small alley way with a lampost at the top which opened into a courtyard where I think there were 6 houses with two outside toilets, one in each corner. The next door neighbours were the Athertons. Does anyone remember the old lady who made good old fashioned "Troach". Hard, black aniseed rock made in a tray and smashed into lumps. My Gran and neighbour never went to the pictures unless they had their "rocks" to eat. This old lady always said she would never give the recipe away and even though I have tried commercially made troach, it never tasted the same.

I've posted before about Greenway Street as mum and dad lived in 35 for a while (about 1941 - 1947) and mum left dad not long after i was born there in 1947

Mum and dad got back together and lived in 4/37 in one of the back to backs in 1951, backing on to the abattoir. I was only about four when mum (Gwendoline) contracted TB and dad and myself and my two brothers moved out before some demolition took place - so I don't remember too much about about Greenway, but my brother Roger who passed two years ago told me all about it and the shop at the end of the alley which i think was the Restalls - she ran him to hospital one day as he had a bad cut on his head

My grandmother Nellie Frith lived in 39 Greenway and then when she married my grandfather, Henry Edward Pearce, who was from Gloucestershire, they lived in 35

My Uncle Samuel also lived in 35 over a number of years and I think the Frith family owned a couple of the houses - possibly 35 and 37

Possibly a typo on your part but it appears that Nellie was a Firth not a Frith. And interestingly Nellie's parents were living on Greenway St from at least 1881.

Anyway here is a map of Greenway St from 1950...

0 - Greenway St.jpg

Yes - typo
Nellie became a dressmaker and moved to Vicarage Road near Edgbaston with my Grandfather - my brother remembers going there. I think Nellie and my grandfather must have split up as he ended up back in Greenway street!

It seems to have been a family habit!

Anyway here is a map of Greenway St from 1950...
Thank you for this... I had been trying to track down 60a Greenway St as my Nan and Grandad, Reginald and Elsie Conn are registered on the 1957 electoral roll as living there, but I know for a fact that they lived in Shirley from 1939 to 1971. Could it have been a business? Does anyone remember Reg or his son-in-law Percy Williams? My grandad had a business making roller shutters for shops etc. It was called Conn, Martin and Co.
If anyone has any information or photos of that part of Greenway St I'd be very grateful!

. I had been trying to track down 60a Greenway St as my Nan and Grandad, Reginald and Elsie Conn are registered on the 1957 electoral roll as living there, but I know for a fact that they lived in Shirley from 1939 to 1971. Could it have been a business?
There were three businesses at that address in the 1956 Kellys. On was Conn-Martin & Co, window blind makers

Back