• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Greenway Street, Small Heath

Does anyone remember the Johnson's who lived in the first house in cattell road on the junction at coventry road,they made spirit levels during and after the war.They were quite a large family,i was born in the house in cattell road in 1952 later when i was older my dad took me to stocktons pie shop on saturday mornings and we would eat a pie in the car.My father and his broyhers all had motorbikes and later sidecars to transport their young families about.The house is long gone and is now the front car park at bham city.Happy memories

I have just revisited your thread and realised that your Martin family are relatives of mine via Gwendoline McNab who married Victor Martin. I have many photos of them and likely some of his family. Please contact me if I am correct and I can send you stuff. Regards -

Last edited by a moderator:
I lived in Greenway st from 1934 till 1963 and got names of most of children that lived there
good memory's

Sammy Heard

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi If anyone from Greenway street is interested Fred Burnette who lived at the top end next to Susan Maughan is hopeing to do a Greenway st reunion if he gets enough response ? I will PM you his email if anyone is interested.

Pat

Burnt penny cakes lol Yes they move to top of Bordesley Green Donald the son ran but unfortunately he died young ,shop still there as far as I know .

The same thought crossed my mind, Postie. The Worralls who lived in Green Lane and went to Little Green Lane School and may be Marlborough Road ?

Annie

My Great Gran MaryAnn McNab was the Manageress of the Williams Steam Laundry and my Gran and Grandad owned the shop just by. Gerald Humphries.

My Grandparents (the Rice family) lived in the first house in the Courtyard back of 19 Greenway Street. I remember regular visits in the 1950's-60's. At the top of the path between the houses stood a lampost and to the left and right in the corners were the shared outside toilets with bench wooden seats. I was told a story of a cow being driven to the slaughterhouse breaking free, running up the path and getting stuck in there. Perhaps it thought it was a cow stall? I also remember an old lady who made and sold wonderful bags of homemade "troach" to a secret recipe. My great grandparents who lived in the courtyard next door (Cross and Trewollah) were tram drivers who worked up and down the Coventry Road. My Dad, as a lad, had to take his crystal set to be recharged at the shop over the road.

Hello there. My Dad was born and grew up at 14 Greenway Street in 1920 - his mom and dad - Bill and Lizzie Humphries kept a shop there - next to Stocktons Pie shop. Dad's Gran - Mary Ann McNab managed the Electric Laundry for years.
Regards - Gerald - Argyll.
Did your dad carry on with the shop? I was born 1949 and remember buying penny bottles of home made pop at Humphries in the 1950’s. Definitely a man and woman in the shop. Did they sell just sweets and tobacco?

After looking through this thread I see no photos, I have just posted this photo on the Coventry Road Police Station thread, but it should be here as well.

Small Heath Greenway St .jpg

Who was living in Greenway Street a year before the start of WW1?

Thanks

Terry
Hi, the Dalley family were on the 1891 Census at 84 Greenway Street, later one of the children on that list brought up his family at number 75. That house got pulled down in the late 50s. The family remained in the Street until 1975.

Couple of pictures from my late Dad to those interested in Greenway Street - Don Stockton with my Gran Lizzie Humphries. She and husband Bill kept a shop a few doors up from Stocktons. A 1925 Calendar from Williams' Electric Laundry. Dad's Gran Mary Ann McNab was Manager there.don stockton and lizzie humphries.jpgwilliams' electric laundry 12 greenway street 1925.jpg

Back