• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Greenway Street, Small Heath

Greenway Street

Hello Terry,
The only census that can help you is the 1901...is there a house
number that you are interested in ???

Margaret.

Greenway Street

There will be a directory for one of the years 1912, 1913, 1914 if not all. E.g. Kelly's. In the street section the house number and name of occupants will be given.

The historical directories online site might be useful but is clumsy to use.

Otherwise wherever Local Studies relocates their big directory collection which in 2007 was on the Genealogy open shelves.

This is Greenway street from Kelly's 1913
Kellys Greenway st 1913.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Greenway Street

Thanks John and everyone else for your replies.

As you might be aware from a Thread that I started in the 'WW1 Discussion' section of the Forum, I have a postcard of the Greenway Street "Roll of Honour" that contains the names of 30 men who came from Greenway Street. Under a magnifying glass I can just make out the names. However, a small few are causing a problem to identify and check up and connect with Small Heath or Birmingham. I was hoping some of the surnames would be in the 1913 Kelly's Directory.

There are two with the surname Dyer, possibly brothers.
R C Dyer
A or H Dyer
S McCalpin
L Brooke
B or R or H Brookes
L Willetts
J or I Cooper

There were men KIA during WW1 with these surnames and initials. But are they the ones commemorated on the Street Memorial? I have a 30x Jewellers glass coming in the post so no doubt will be able to get a better view of the initials.

Thanks again

Terry

My Martin Family were living in Charles Henry St. in 1920 but in 1925 had moved
to 12 back Greenaway St.
I cannot find Greenaway St in the A-Z,i would be grateful if someone
could tell me where it was.
Thankyou
Carol

First on the left on Coventry Road at the top of the hill past the junction with Cattell Road in the Small Heath / Bordesley area.

Phil

Attachments

• Bordesley x.jpg
    Bordesley x.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 25
HI Carol,

See your other thread on Martins.

We cannot guarantee that this is the same couple in Greenway street.

I did put a question mark - Is this the same couple ?

There are a number of Joseph and Elizabeth Martins.

Birth certificates of Children should give their address.

Good Luck

Bo

hello terry,
came across your thread while looking for pictures of greenway st. i came across two great uncles ( my grandmothers brothers) while browsing the cwgc site who lived at 96 greenway st. they were both k.i.a.
they might be on the postcard you mentioned.
interested?
regards,
steve.

Hello Terry,
in 1891 at 4 Greenway st ( the house I was born in )there was a family of 10 living there by the name of Goode. I found that on the Freecen website.
Pat

Hi everyone, On the 1901 census I have my grandfather Harry Johnson living at 10 Court Greenaway St. ? is it a seperate street or is it Greenway St.
thank you
Sheri

hi terry,
their surname was HULL,
thomas hull was only 17 years old when he died, he was in the rifle brigade, 12th battallion.
ernest hull was 21 years old, he served with the worcestershire regiment, 3rd battallion.
hope this helps,
regards.
steve.

Hi Carol did you know my brother Johnny Miah and his twin sister lily , l only ask as your name Carol worral always came up in conversations . we lived at the top of Bordesley park Road by the bus garage and arthur street , lm the younger brother Dean, Regards

My family owned the out door at 94 Greenway street the Brennans we were amongst the last to leave as we were tied to the brewery it was sad to watch all your mates moving out and we were stuck in a closed down out door with all the houses your mates lived in being knocked down, but we moved to what i thought was the country, bordesley green east

Hello there. My Dad was born and grew up at 14 Greenway Street in 1920 - his mom and dad - Bill and Lizzie Humphries kept a shop there - next to Stocktons Pie shop. Dad's Gran - Mary Ann McNab managed the Electric Laundry for years.
Regards - Gerald - Argyll.

does anyone remember the glasses in the window of i think the pie shop. They looked like they had water in them but they were glass half way up.

Mmmmmm Stocktons pies,on tin plates,the best in the area.I think Stocktons moved to opposite Alston Road School annex,by the Broadway pub.

Hello there. My Dad was born and grew up at 14 Greenway Street in 1920 - his mom and dad - Bill and Lizzie Humphries kept a shop there - next to Stocktons Pie shop. Dad's Gran - Mary Ann McNab managed the Electric Laundry for years.
Regards - Gerald - Argyll.

I remember Humphries shop well from the late 50s/early 60s. What a nice old chap he was ! I'd forgot the laundry though.

There was another shop, Browns I think, and a cobblers on the corner which was owned by Susan Maughans dad.

Hello, Re Greenway Street
Next to the cobblers was the Hat shop owned by Mrs Fisher then the garage number 4 where I lived then a sweet/grocer shop next was the terrace then Stocktons Pie shop then Humphries after them was Laundry , Barbars shop, Ladies Hairdresses can't remember if thats the right order though.

Pat

Hello, Re Greenway Street
Next to the cobblers was the Hat shop owned by Mrs Fisher then the garage number 4 where I lived then a sweet/grocer shop next was the terrace then Stocktons Pie shop then Humphries after them was Laundry , Barbars shop, Ladies Hairdresses can't remember if thats the right order though.

Pat

I reckon Stocktons, Humphries, Barbers, Laundry, then a womens hairdressers calledsomething like Rene' of Paris, or something like that ! I think the sweets/Grocers was what I called Browns.

I got a pic of some kids playing outside Humpries/Stocktons. looks 1950s, not sure who they are or
if its OK to post it though. The name Chester springs to mind for some reason.

Hello Re Greenway street,
I think the hairdressers was called Beatrice ? Chesters lived up the terrace by the Sweet/ Grocer shop,I also have a picture taken outside Humphries shop with Gordon Chester on but it wasn't my picture so I won't pass it on,
opposit the shops was a Green Grocers but it was moore like a converted Garage from what I can remember.
The garage where I lived on match day ( The Blues) my dad used to look after the push-bikes the yard used to be completley full with bikes he wouldn't turn anyone away, when the yard was full he would put them in our front room leaning agains't the side-board.
Durring the war my family (before I was born) used to hide down the cellar of the Hat shop away from the bombings were on.
Regards Pat

From 1949 to 1960 I lived in one of the terraces off Greenway Street. A back to back house, with two blocks of four toilets each to serve the whole terrace!! In the streets and on the bomb sites we played hopscotch, statutes, tracking, rollerskates (metal wheels), skipping, marbles etc. Saturday morning at the Kingston Picture House for a tanner were great. My mum recalls a WW1 stone memorial plaque set into the wall of a house in Greenway Street. Does anyone have any information as to what happened to it? Not sure when, perhaps in the 1980's, part of Greenway Street was formerly "Stopped Up" by Birmingham City Council, i.e. part still exists and part was sold to Morrisons for a supermarket. Shame. My Aunt and Uncle (Anne and Wal) owned a general grocery shop in Greenway Street near the junction of Coventry Road and opposite the Oxford Public House. May and George were the previous owners if anyone remembers them. Does anyone have any pictures of Greenway Street or its terraces? Would love to see them. Regards

From 1949 to 1960 I lived in one of the terraces off Greenway Street. A back to back house, with two blocks of four toilets each to serve the whole terrace!! In the streets and on the bomb sites we played hopscotch, statutes, tracking, rollerskates (metal wheels), skipping, marbles etc. Saturday morning at the Kingston Picture House for a tanner were great. My mum recalls a WW1 stone memorial plaque set into the wall of a house in Greenway Street. Does anyone have any information as to what happened to it? Not sure when, perhaps in the 1980's, part of Greenway Street was formerly "Stopped Up" by Birmingham City Council, i.e. part still exists and part was sold to Morrisons for a supermarket. Shame. My Aunt and Uncle (Anne and Wal) owned a general grocery shop in Greenway Street near the junction of Coventry Road and opposite the Oxford Public House. May and George were the previous owners if anyone remembers them. Does anyone have any pictures of Greenway Street or its terraces? Would love to see them. Regards

The WW1 memorial was more or less opposite the bombuilding in the picture, but as I remember it, it was a wooden case with a glass front, behind which was a paper memorial.

Theres a picture of it on the forum somewhere, but I have'nt been able to find it. Last I heard it was in the possession of a forum member though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The street name was mis-spelt by a previous member, I just did reply with history. I knew I was in the right street because the history was correct. I lived in a row of three terraced houses. The fourth house was bombed during the war, i.e. the bomb site. The third terraced house next to the bomb site belonged to Mr and Mrs Patrick, and the house opposite, but still in the terrace, belonged to Mrs and Mrs Rawlins. You are correct in saying that the memorial was in Greenway Street and opposite the bomb site. The memorial was near Mr and Mrs Sims house. Not sure about the paper record but there was a shelf where you could leave flowers.

Hello Laurabelle, your relatives must have had the shop at No 6 Greenway Street (we lived in the terrace behind the shop).

skylark

Back