• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

great hampton row

the old minerva vaults taken today...gutted inside and now a cash and carry..

lyn

OLD END JAN 2013 015.JPG

Last edited:
Blimey Lyn we must have passed each other today. Went to Key Hill cemetery, lunch at the Jewellers Arms and a drive round I took a photo of the Pelican on top of the old Pelican Works in Gt Hampton Street. We looked at Minerva Vaults and thought at least the building is still there.

hi wend yes we must have passed each other...i started off in villa st as they are building new houses at the top of the street..took a few pics there then down to gt hampton row and summer lane and finished up in the white house njsw...thought it best to go today as the weather looks like its on the turn again...

Thanks again lyn and astoness
Could it get any worse for the poor old Minerva
Still fascinating to know
Keep warm in all that cold snow
We have the opposite prob here in Oz..... Very hot and bush fires
Thanks again
Jane Fulford

I have just found this in my files apologies if it's been posted before.

Gt_Hampton_Row_.jpg
Click on photo twice for large image.

hi wend we have seen this one before but the caption is wrong as its not gt hampton row im afraid as there is no road in the pic ..its possable it could be a court off ghr but cant be sure of that..this one has always intriqued me as i would love to know exactly where it is..

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn it was sent to me by a distant cousin so will have to try and find where it is.

See picture on post #106 and comments around. Is it the same place with the large building removed? Colmore Terrace?

hi robb i personally would say not but again nothing certain or definate...

lyn

Last edited:
forgot to say that i can see where you are coming from robb with the lampost and the building in the distance but where are the gardens in wendys pic...its quite a mystery...

lyn

Last edited:
No. 70 was the Star & Garter , shown in red on the c 1913 map below. The electoral roll does not list him there 1930 or 1935

map_c_1913_showing_Star_and_Garter_no_70_and76_Gt_Hampton_row.jpg

In 1930 it was someone completely different and the property is not listed in 1939, but in 1935 it was occupied by Matilda Lawrence & William Beddoes Have modified map in earlier post and 76 is marked in blue

hi folks here is a new one well i think it is...gt hampton row 1961

mike if you spot this post could i have a map please confirming its location..i think the shop next to woods and potters shop is no 72 so it must be near to the star and garter pub...

thanks mike..

Attachments

• img969.jpg
    img969.jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 55
thanks mike thats what i thought...not many photos of gt hampton row around so i was pleased to find this one...got it from the birmingham lives history fair today..

cheers

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn

Further confirmation for you.

Attachments

• Hockley Great Hampton Street - Brearley St Star & Garter.jpg
    Hockley Great Hampton Street - Brearley St Star & Garter.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 53
great phil thanks..i was sure i had seen that one before but could not find it so will save it now...must ask my aunt what number brearley st she lived at im sure she once told me it was only a few doors from the star and garter..

star & garter - Copy.jpg Hi Lyn - this the Star & Garter you refer to? My Gran, Caroline Selvey, nee Southwell, nee Farmer), with step daughter Annie Savage (Nee Selvey) on the left, having a last drink with the demolition men - about 1964?'ish?

hi bri..although smiling for the camera what a sad photo...on the upside a smashing one of your gran and stepdaugher..

thanks bri
lyn

Think it was the Little Brown Jug after that!
Just wished I could be 10 again and chat to her now I know a bit more about the family!
( of her own (1 died very young - in WL), Husband died when last one was 3 months old, remarried and got his half a dozen back out of Barnado's, than went to take 3 grandchildren when daughter in law died in WW2, but her family had 2, so just the 1 grandson to raise - and all in a back to back in Brearley St, & Gt Hampton Row - with no Housing Benefits and Tax Credits and whatever!
Amazing old bird - but weren't they all!

oh bri if only i had a quid for everytime i said...i wished i had asked more questions when they were alive and the thing is until we start delving into our family history we just did not fully appreciate the hardships and struggles they had....i agree with you completely there were some amazingly tough people around then you must be really proud of your nan as i am mine...my grandad died in 1938 just before the start of ww2..he fought for his country in ww1..gassed a couple of times which affected his health badly .. our nan was left with 3 young girls to bring up in paddington st...she had half a dozen jobs on the go including laying people out..never re married so hats off to her as well...

lyn

Last edited:
hi kieron many thanks for the link the only one i have not seen is of knights butchers so another one to my collection...you most likely know this already but the photo of st georges church also shows the original st georges school to the right of the photo

lyn

Back