• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gem Street

annaj

proper brummie kid
I was just wondering if anybody had any knowledge of Gem St circa 1911? I have found a great picture which I found by accident a few years ago (I believe it's from a Graham V Twist book, possibly on Duddeston and Nechells, if Gem street fell in either of those areas? I always thought it was Aston) of my great-grandmother Lydia Scott C. 1912 on Gem Street. I think they lived at number 5. In the picture she is photographed outside a shop and I have no idea if they owned this shop or even what it sold. Sorry, sounds vague. I just wanted to find out a bit more about where she lived. Thanks

Gem street ran from Coleshill Street to Aston Road. The Gaity Theater was on the corner at Coleshill Street.
Using British History On Line (Maps Section) and GE you can do it yourself. GE will give the approximate location and by relating this to the Bull Ring you can go to BHOL and locate positions from there.
This area has changed drastically...you might say razed...still it needed to be on the whole. The map is 1890 but it would not have changed very much. There are others on here with access to slightly later and better maps but I suspect all based on the 1890 survey.

Attachments

• Gem St_.bmp
    957.8 KB · Views: 125
You do not say the name of your grandfather, but there is no Scott listed in Gem st in the electoral roll for 1912. No 5 is listed as Henry Russell. Lydia would not be expected to be listed as women , in most cases, did not have the vote then. However, quite near, at 30 Duke St in the 1912 & 1913 Kellys directories there is a shopkeeper listed (no description of what he sold, but probably a general shop, groceries, tobacco, sweets etc) Joseph Scott. The electoral roll for 1912 lists a Mary Scott only at that address (which probably means she was a property owner as she is listed). No 5 Gem St is not listed in directories of the time. this does not preclude it being a very small shop.These Scots are probably nothing to do with you , but i mention them in case they a re of interest. If you could put th epicture on the forum we might be able to identify where it was

hi there
I have not heard the word gem street in many years but i do recall the school very well as i am an aston lad born and bred and dragged up ah;
we lived down the main rd from it as of costa green in the old days clearly good vivid memories of the whole city in fact
but as kids growing up on the lichfield rd just down aston rd at the aston cross ; us as kids if we started a disagreement between the two of us or in fact kids would started to slagg each other off the remark would be ; to the other kid or whom made have a fall out ;
was what school you went to then; or you should go to gem street youn dunce ;
i will never for get gem street best wishes astonian;;

Annaj, your Lydia birth wasn't registered until March 1915 but in 1911 her parents lived in Gt Lister street and her mother Minnie Scott had a 'Shop business' she was a wardrobe dealer which meant she dealt in second hand clothes.

Hello Annaj, there was a shop on the corner of Gem Street and Lawrence Street , we knew it as Mrs. Morris or Irelands ? shop, there was another shop in Gem Street going down towards Aston Street. Astonian was right in saying that we didn't like telling anyone that our school Bishop Ryder was in Gem Street.

This image is labelled Bishop Ryder Church on Gem Street (sorry no date but probably late 1800s). The church is a lovely example, but Gem Street looks interesting too. Would be interested to see some other views of the street. Thanks. Viv.

image.jpeg

Viv

I'm pretty sure that these photo's are already on the forum somewhere. The first one is Gem Street School when it was the free industrial school. The second one is a back court called Lilly Place, the last one is the Duke of York public house.Gosta Green Gem St Free Industrial School.jpg Gosta Green Lily Place Gem St 1910.jpg Gosta Green Gem St  Duke of York.jpg

My grandma lived across the road from the school, I seem to recall it was referred to as the school for the deaf. Next door to grandma’s was the garage entrance to Deans Blinds and on the corner of Gem Street and Aston Street was a shop that recharged the lead acid accumulators. (Used in the radios) Alf.Charles

My grandma lived across the road from the school, I seem to recall it was referred to as the school for the deaf. Next door to grandma’s was the garage entrance to Deans Blinds and on the corner of Gem Street and Aston Street was a shop that recharged the lead acid accumulators. (Used in the radios) Alf.Charles

my father lived at the crown and anchor corner of gem street i think my grandparents were the licencees early 1920s still looking for any information or photos thanks

Thanks for your reply Colin, I am also on the same track as your self trying to find pictures of the area in the 1950’s and 1960’s. As my grandma had lived in Gem Street certainly before the great flu pandemic of the 1918/19’s She lost three children to the pandemic, whilst living in Gem Street.
she died around 1963 so would have known your parents and grand parents. Alf.C.

Thanks for your reply Colin, I am also on the same track as your self trying to find pictures of the area in the 1950’s and 1960’s. As my grandma had lived in Gem Street certainly before the great flu pandemic of the 1918/19’s She lost three children to the pandemic, whilst living in Gem Street.
she died around 1963 so would have known your parents and grand parents. Alf.C.
thanks for reply my grandmother died of tb aged 32 at the crown and anchor which incidently was 44 and a half gem street my grandfather left their in 1925 with 3 children to work a coal barge cheers

Hello Colin, interesting that your grandfather left to go on the barges. My grandmother who lived in Gem Street, her parents were “Bargees” working the canal from Birmingham to Oxford and around. She told me they used to moor up in livery street basin Overnight before progressing into Birmingham. What they carried I do not recall. Her maiden name was I believe “Higgins,”
Regards Alf.

Alf, hope you don't mind me butting in.

Your grandmother's maiden name was Higgins (Frances Edith). Her parents were John Higgins & Eliza Jones.

On the 1881 census John & Eliza were living at 6 court 9 Aston St with 2 sons, 3 daughter, a nephew and a boarder. He is listed as Canal Boat Steerer.

On the 1891 census John & Eliza were living at 52 Legge St with 5 daughters, 2 sons and 2 grandsons. He is listed as Boat Navigator not employed.

John Higgins was born in Middlesex and his father was Ralph was also a boatman. And possibly his father (also Ralph) before him.

Last edited:
Thank you, MWS. with information like this butt in as often as you like.
I spent a lot of time with grandma Francis, from the age of six till I was eleven. Unfortunately she did not talk about her past, and it is only snippets that I can recall. I guess she was one of the three daughters and two sons you mentioned living in Aston Street.
I would be interested in finding out more about her and her early family life, where did you find your information from?
thanking you once again. Alf Charles.

Frances is with her parents in both 1891 & 1901, marrying Henry at St Paul in 1901.

All information came from the various genealogy websites that are available online. If your fortunate, you don't need much info to begin finding stuff.

I was able to trace quite a bit just knowing your name, the possible maiden name for your nan and Gem St. It appears like many Bham people your ancestors came from various places - Bristol, Oxford, Leominster to name a few.

Frances is with her parents in both 1891 & 1901, marrying Henry at St Paul in 1901.

All information came from the various genealogy websites that are available online. If your fortunate, you don't need much info to begin finding stuff.

I was able to trace quite a bit just knowing your name, the possible maiden name for your nan and Gem St. It appears like many Bham people your ancestors came from various places - Bristol, Oxford, Leominster to name a few.
Thank you again, I have always believed that grandads name was George, as a grave near grans has a George Watkins died 1942 aged 60. Grandad was always referred to as "Redman," because of his red hair. I am more confused now.
It was always easy in the past we could go and ask the old folks for this information, unfortunately they have all gone and we are now the old folks.
But thanks for your assistance.
Alf.

I think his name was Henry George Watkins. And there is a death registration for a Henry George Watkins in Bham 1942 that seems to match.

I think his name was Henry George Watkins. And there is a death registration for a Henry George Watkins in Bham 1942 that seems to match.
Ahhh! that explains it, Gran only had George inscribed on the grave stone. I suspect he was killed in the air raids of Dec 1942. This is another avenue I can investigate. Alf.

Alf, hope you don't mind me butting in.

Your grandmother's maiden name was Higgins (Frances Edith). Her parents were John Higgins & Eliza Jones.

On the 1881 census John & Eliza were living at 6 court 9 Aston St with 2 sons, 3 daughter, a nephew and a boarder. He is listed as Canal Boat Steerer.

On the 1891 census John & Eliza were living at 52 Legge St with 5 daughters, 2 sons and 2 grandsons. He is listed as Boat Navigator not employed.

John Higgins was born in Middlesex and his father was Ralph was also a boatman. And possibly his father (also Ralph) before him.
John Higgins was my Great Great Great Grandfather, you will find most of their graves at witton cemetary including an S A S volunteer who died in service in africa, GORDEN SAMUEL BATES HIGGINS,

I was just wondering if anybody had any knowledge of Gem St circa 1911? I have found a great picture which I found by accident a few years ago (I believe it's from a Graham V Twist book, possibly on Duddeston and Nechells, if Gem street fell in either of those areas? I always thought it was Aston) of my great-grandmother Lydia Scott C. 1912 on Gem Street. I think they lived at number 5. In the picture she is photographed outside a shop and I have no idea if they owned this shop or even what it sold. Sorry, sounds vague. I just wanted to find out a bit more about where she lived. Thanks
I went to bishop Ryder school in Gem street there was another part to it which I believe was for the deaf we used to go there for pottery, I was there from about 1955/66 when we moved to Erdington, I lived at 87 legge street next to a pub but can't remember the name does anyone know.

I went to bishop Ryder school in Gem street there was another part to it which I believe was for the deaf we used to go there for pottery, I was there from about 1955/66 when we moved to Erdington, I lived at 87 legge street next to a pub but can't remember the name does anyone know.
My family lived in Gem Street and the earliest that I have found is 1891. John Hyland lived at 26 Gem Street with his wife Anne who was a sweet shop owner. Moving forward to 1922 John still had a door spring makers business at number 22. His daughter Kate was a shopkeeper at number 55.
If anyone has any photos of Gem Street including shops that would be great.

Ahhh! that explains it, Gran only had George inscribed on the grave stone. I suspect he was killed in the air raids of Dec 1942. This is another avenue I can investigate. Alf.
hi chunky did you do anymore research to confirm george died during the air raids ? reason i ask is because there is a george watkins name on the tree of life memorial for all civilians who died during ww2 sadly it gives no age but could this be your grandad ?

lyn

hi chunky did you do anymore research to confirm george died during the air raids ? reason i ask is because there is a george watkins name on the tree of life memorial for all civilians who died during ww2 sadly it gives no age but could this be your grandad ?

lyn
Hello Lyn,
I am sorry to say that I did not research grandad Watkins any further. I am grateful for the information re the tree of life inscription.
I was told by Grandma Edith that grandad died in the air raids. Possibly near Snow Hill. Alf.C

Back