• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gas Street basin

This is Allport Street, and the old Matthew Boulton Tech is in the background, where I did 'day release' education whilst an apprentice for Merto Cammell. It was replaced by a new building on Pershore Road, which has itself gone now!
That brings back childhood memories, when I lived at my grans in Selly Oak our #20 bus used to turn around using that building as the terminus, and you'd wait for the bus to come into Suffolk Street bus stop...the street was a cobbled surface...looked very dangerous when wet.

I love painting canals, here is another of Gas street Basin one of many I have done of this section. Eric
Eric, I love this painting. The boat is just where the Adder was moored in 1966. As a young boy I sat on the roof at the stern and a man took a photo of me

Vivian Bird first produced a smaller version of the book for City of Birmingham Information Department in 1969 and the larger version was made in 1970 with reprints in 1974 and 1979.

Back