• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gas Street basin

The Gas Street Map is not the most accurate as no mention is made of the canal basin or the early tramway. But yes these works were the reason for the name of the street, yet as stated it did have a previous purpose before it gained the name.

But why is Berkley Street so named?

The map has been dated by Mike as around 1839. The map published 1890 showing Worcester Wharf is unfortunately covered on two sheets, so they are not in line.

8316F01E-62B1-4C00-BB44-F923296E232F.jpeg

8316F01E-62B1-4C00-BB44-F923296E232F.jpeg

Re post #41. I think it could be dated at around 1910 looking at the collar the boy is wearing to the left. Viv.

I have got a new printer/ scanner cable and while I was testing it I ran a few canal pictures through the scanner, first is the other Gas Street picture I talked about as usual there is no date but I am guessing at mid sixties? Everywhere looking a bit run down, but the backdrop remains the same.

img533a.jpg

This is a much later picture - September 2003 and shows the modernisation the whole area has undertaken, this is one of 30 - 40 pictures which I was offered in an envelope before they found the bin !! They are of the canal network - they seem to be all south of Birmingham and were perhaps part of a survey of the canalside ? - they are not all taken on sunny days

img537a.jpg

Last picture for tonight is not Gas Street - when I looked at the canals forum I didn't know where to start so I will post it here and someone else can make the choice of where to move it !!
The post It on the back says Lifford Lane Canal early 1900's, there is so much to see, wagons on the left, horse, gas lamp, and then the people involved in the loading and unloading of the cargo as well as steering the boats to their destination.

img531a.jpg

I think the Lifford lane photo has been on here before, but yours is better resolution.I thought at first that the position would be that marked by the arrow on the c1903 map, but this was wrong, and correct position given in post 76

map c1904 showing lifford lane bridge.jpg

Last edited:
Last picture for tonight is not Gas Street - when I looked at the canals forum I didn't know where to start so I will post it here and someone else can make the choice of where to move it !!
The post It on the back says Lifford Lane Canal early 1900's, there is so much to see, wagons on the left, horse, gas lamp, and then the people involved in the loading and unloading of the cargo as well as steering the boats to their destination.

View attachment 160230
Wonderful picture with an extraordinary depth of field (at least I think so)!

There are two butties visible, maybe more. They would require a horse to pull them. The man with the horse maybe a No.1, owner of boats who employed men to crew them. The name visible on one boat is that, I believe, of the Midland Railway.

View attachment 160230
Those are impressive 'Derbies' they are both wearing, but reminiscent of another forum, all but one of them wearing headgear. Do you think the guy with the suit and shirt and tie is the 'gaffer'. What a pity 'suit's' leg covers the boat's company name. But what a wonderful age defining picture, it certainly says this is how it was.

Bob

The two younger men have pocket watches. Seems odd that they have watches rather than the older men. Maybe it was necessary for the particular job they did in getting the cargo delivered on time ? Viv.

Mikejee, your arrow is in the wrong place, the photo is Pershore Road bridge, you have marked it as Lifford lane bridge. Also just behind where the photographer was , there was a railway marshalling yard. You would see this if the map was moved up a couple of inches. Hope you dont mind the correction.

Yes Jeepwolf, you are right. Below is correct position. Will alter my earlier post, but leave map in case it is of use for other purposes

map c1904 showing Breedon  Cross bridge.jpg

There are two butties visible, maybe more. They would require a horse to pull them. The man with the horse maybe a No.1, owner of boats who employed men to crew them. The name visible on one boat is that, I believe, of the Midland Railway.
I believe the butty at the back is named Bordesley but I cannot make out the name on the MR boat. Someone will know!

The Lifford images was the Midland Railway Interchange Basin where goods were transferred from the MR own canal boats and their railway wagons.

I have got a new printer/ scanner cable and while I was testing it I ran a few canal pictures through the scanner, first is the other Gas Street picture I talked about as usual there is no date but I am guessing at mid sixties? Everywhere looking a bit run down, but the backdrop remains the same.

View attachment 160228
The Church of the Messiah over the canal was demolished in 1978 so pre-dates this photo.

Back