• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Frederick Charles Mason any connection?

I can probably trace your Mason's back 3 generations before Albert (Frederick's dad) but then that might be it.

And the Booker's (Frederick's mom) the same.

I can probably trace your Mason's back 3 generations before Albert (Frederick's dad) but then that might be it.

And the Booker's (Frederick's mom) the same.
That would be great if you don't mind. This is all just fantastic.

We had nothing but 'Holey Road' and Frederick Charles Mason before I joined the forum today and now look at what we have. You folks are amazing!

I'm fairly confident that I have the correct Albert Edward Mason but the marriage record (apart from the registration) is not online to confirm his father's name. So, to be totally sure you would need to see the certificate.

However, if I am correct then Albert Edward Mason was born 1880/1 (reg Aston Mar qtr 1881), the son of Charles Mason and Elizabeth Ball.

Charles Mason was a gun maker, born 1843/4 (reg Bham Mar qtr 1884), the son of Isaac Mason and Mary Green.

Isaac Mason was a brass founder, born 1804 Bham, possibly the son of Samuel Mason and Ann Barnacle.

Charles' wife Elizabeth Ball was born in Scotland and her father was from Leicestershire and listed as a policeman in 1851. There doesn't seem to be a marriage registration for them.

Mary Elizabeth Daffurn Booker was born 1881 Bham, the daughter of George Benjamin Booker and Betsy Daffurn.

George Benjamin Booker was a jewel case maker, born 1856 Bham the son of John Booker and Eliza Wilkes.

John Booker was a jeweller (?), born 1825 Bham, probably the son of Thomas Booker and Eliza Bentley.

Thomas Booker was a gold chain maker, born 1799 Bham, probably the son of Thomas Booker and Elizabeth Richards.

Betsy Daffurn came from Gloucestershire and she & George married there also.

The address on the 1939 reg is also Ilsley Road. There are also 2 closed entries
View attachment 173017
Hi Janice, the image you posted shows everyone except our mom who would have been subject number 5. But a rather curious thing is, someone has written 'CHAPLIN' next to Joan's name. Chaplin is her much later married name, but it seems very odd that someone has had access to the actual document and written on it years after it was initially recorded. I assume there must also be some relevance to the serial numbers that have also been added. Thanks.

The 1939 register was kept updated until 1991. So married names would be added.
I am not sure about the numbers and would have to check this.

Some of the numbers listed next to the new name are the date of the change, which for most would be the marriage.

Oh OK, just seems odd then that only Joan's married name was added. Thanks Janice.
No one else in that household would have changed their name. It was a record of name change not who people married. When it was finally published for the public to access the redacted names were supposed to be people still alive at that point. There are errors as my Father's name was shown but should not have been.

Hi Janice, what we have learned is that there are many, many errors, particularly in any records that have been transcribed. I guess our mom's married name would also have been added when she became a 'Hands' after she married our dad, but mom is not shown on the image.

Correct. You really need to see originals if possible. Transcribers often don't know areas and so guess at names of roads. Writing plays a big part as well. It was easy to see how Ilsley became Holey.
Similarly I have a great aunt Julia who is transcribed on one census as India. I only knew because I was aware of her name.
Your Mom's name would have Hands added. She is not shown as, I assume, she was alive when the register was published.

You can 'un-redact' a person who was born less than a 100 years ago if you provide proof to Ancestry, findmypast etc, that the person has passed away.

Not sure how long it takes for them to update their records and they don't seem to share info, which can mean someone is visible in one site but not on all.

It is free with proof of death on Find my Past but if you go via National Archives it costs around £25. In each case you have to locate what you think is the record.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Ok folks, thanks for all your help so far, my sister and I really appreciate it, we've already learned so much about our family.

Now we have something that may interest you. Our mom and her sister Joan went to school with Violet Pretty. She was actually our aunty Joan's school friend, but I remember our mom saying that Violet used to come around to their house. My mom didn't know Violet too well because she was Joan's friend and our mom was a couple of years younger than them. Bear in mind that Joan was born in 1932, and our mom in 1934.

We now realise who Violet Pretty was, and we'd would love to find out more about the school, possible class mates, etc. I assume it would be Fentham Road School for Girls...? If it was a girls school, where would their older brother Peter (B. 1930) have gone to school.

Incidentally, I've just acquired a John Bartholomew 1945 Birmingham Pocket Atlas of Birmingham, which might prove useful - this has Ilsley Road spelled correctly too...!

Last edited:
I didn't know who Violet Pretty was (has to check) and she was a bit before my time.

Her family are listed at 147 Shaftmoor Lane in 1939. This reminded of something (apart from that I worked there) and Shaftmoor Lane was also where Jasper Carrot lived/grew up, at no. 40.

I think she's on another thread.

I didn't know who Violet Pretty was (has to check) and she was a bit before my time.

Her family are listed at 147 Shaftmoor Lane in 1939. This reminded of something (apart from that I worked there) and Shaftmoor Lane was also where Jasper Carrot lived/grew up, at no. 40.
thanks mark i must admit i did not know that jasper lived in shaftmoor lane...

lyn

• Appreciate
There's also a thread about Fentham Road School but not much on it...

There also appears that there are some records but it says they may be restricted...

Last edited:
There are a number of mentions of Violet in the newspapers and some mention her old school as Fentham Road School, Erdington.

One article happens to mention her address in the 1940s as 197 Bleak Hill Road so not too far away. Incidentally the address where a second cousin of my grandad was living in 1939.

There are a number of mentions of Violet in the newspapers and some mention her old school as Fentham Road School, Erdington.

One article happens to mention her address in the 1940s as 197 Bleak Hill Road so not too far away. Incidentally the address where a second cousin of my grandad was living in 1939.
My mom, who also knew her pointed out 197 Bleak Hill Road as her house too.

• Appreciate
Violet Pretty was born in Handsworth, December 1931
1930 Electoral roll has her parents Harold and Edna at 242 Aston Lane , Handsworth.

When my old mom spoke about Violet being a school friend of her sister Joan all those years ago, and that Violet had been around to their home, I was too young to appreciate who Violet actually was. I just remember my mom telling us that she went on to become a famous star... at the time I was too young to think much of it, but now finding out who Violet Pretty became is a real eye-opener!

Last edited:
Back