• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Frederick Charles Mason any connection?

GarytheGhost

master brummie
Hi everyone. My sister and I are researching our mom's past and we've hit a bit of a brick wall after her father. Our mom is Margaret Rose Mason, born 1934 to Beatrice Maud Steel/Brightley and Frederick Charles Mason. Our mom had two sisters and a brother. Here eldest sister Muriel Brightley was from Beatrice's first marriage to Edward Charles Brightley. Our mom's other sister Joan M and brother Peter were both Mason's.

We know that at some point Frederick Charles Mason left Beatrice and married a Joyce (we think Merrick) in 1930. Fred and Joyce had at least one daughter called Barbara. This is all we have on the Mason side, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, we have been trying to find out, where in Erdington my mom and her family lived when she was growing up. The transcribed 1939 register suggests 32 Holey Road, but we assume this is a transcription error as Holey Road does not, and never appears to have existed. We assume the most likely name is Holly Road, with the second 'l' being misread as an 'e'. So any help here would be wonderful too.

I've attached some photos of Frederick Charles Mason with our mom, Margaret Rose Mason, and also with Joyce his wife after Beatrice.

hi gary and welcome...i have moved your thread to our surname interest section of the forum where it maybe picked up easier by members who are happy to help when brick walls are hit...thanks for adding some of your family photos and hopefully we can help in your research...

lyn

I can only see the search results (not the scans) and they're not always accurate but on the 1935 ER Frederick & Beatrice appear to be listed at 32 Ilsley Road.

Frederick and Joyce's marriage was registered Mar 1953, and as it seems to occur after your grandmother's death (age incorrectly listed?) I assume that your grandparents never divorced.

Joyce Mason was born 13 Dec 1923 and died in 1970. Barbara was born 1949 and there are 4 more Mason/Merrick births subsequentlly registered. Don't know if they are relevant.

Do you want more?

Frederick Charles Mason was born 18 Jul 1904, son of Albert Edward Mason and Mary Elizabeth Booker. Had one sister Lily May and one brother, Albert Norman who died young. Living at 171 South Road in 1921.

Also appears he had some half siblings, father remarried.

Last edited:
hi gary and welcome...i have moved your thread to our surname interest section of the forum where it maybe picked up easier by members who are happy to help when brick walls are hit...thanks for adding some of your family photos and hopefully we can help in your research...

lyn
Thanks Lyn, I wasn't sure where I should be posting.

no problems gary takes time to find your way around but as you can see you have already had some replies

lyn

Do you want more?

Frederick Charles Mason was born 18 Jul 1904, son of Albert Edward Mason and Mary Elizabeth Booker. Had one sister Lily May and one brother, Albert Norman who died young. Living at 171 South Road in 1921.

Wow, this is great information, thanks MWS. We have struggled to find anything. If you can give us more, then great, we have never known anything about our mom's Mason side.

What we do know about Frederick Charles Mason is that he left Beatrice (who was 8 years older than him) for a 20 year younger woman - Joyce - and that only our mom, the youngest of his kids with Beatrice, kept in touch with him. His other kids wanted nothing to do with him. We also know he was a alcoholic at some point.

Do you want more?

hi mark what area is this south road...

lyn

Frederick and Joyce's marriage was registered Mar 1953, and as it seems to occur after your grandmother's death (age incorrectly listed?) I assume that your grandparents never divorced.

Joyce Mason was born 13 Dec 1923 and died in 1970. Barbara was born 1949 and there are 4 more Mason/Merrick births subsequentlly registered. Don't know if they are relevant.
I don't know if they ever divorced, but I also don't know when Beatrice actually died. But as Fred and Joyce had Barbara in 1949 before they were married in 1953, then if Fred and Beatrice never divorced this might make some sense.

Wow, this is great information, thanks MWS. We have struggled to find anything. If you can give us more, then great, we have never known anything about our mom's Mason side.

In 1911 Frederick and his parents were living on Sycamore Road. In 1939 Albert and his family were living at 149 Church Road (again I assume Edrington). Albert is listed as a Tool Maker on the 1911 census.

Albert's possible children with his second wife - Reginald, Ivy, Winifred and Dorothy.

Frederick's possible children with Joyce - Barbara, Beverley, Paul, Jean and Robert.

I can only see the search results (not the scans) and they're not always accurate but on the 1935 ER Frederick & Beatrice appear to be listed at 32 Ilsley Road.
The address on the 1939 reg is also Ilsley Road. There are also 2 closed entries
1662997008103.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
We know that at some point Frederick Charles Mason left Beatrice and married a Joyce (we think Merrick) in 1930. Fred and Joyce had at least one daughter called Barbara. This is all we have on the Mason side, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am a little puzzled. If Frederick left Beatrice in 1930 why is he listed with Beatrice on 1935 e roll, 1939 register and 1955 eroll? Have I missed something?

Just checking, that should be Illsley Road with two 'l's right? And it's right off South Road, Erdington.

I am a little puzzled. If Frederick left Beatrice in 1930 why is he listed with Beatrice on 1935 e roll, 1939 register and 1955 eroll? Have I missed something?
Sorry, that's my mistake. He actually married Beatrice in 1930, not Joyce, he married Joyce in 1953. It's just me getting a little confused.

1930 is Frederick's marriage to Beatrice.
Yep, we have also got Beatrice married to her first husband, a jeweller called Edward Brightley in 1916. He was my aunty Bon's dad. My aunty bon was Muriel Brightley. There was quite a few years between our mom, Margaret and her elder sister Muriel... 14 years I think?

Back