• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

fish and chip shops

I knew it as "The Arches" (see 1st photo below). Pity it's gone, I had many a bag of chips from there ;).

I remember they used Jersey Mids (potatoes, when in season) to make their chips for a while (possibly in the early 70s). They cost a bit more, but they were well worth it and so very tasty, that I still remember them 50 years later! (photo 2).

There was another shop on Gravelly Hill Road @ Six Ways, Erdington (near Harry Parkes), where we asked for "2d worth of chips" on the walk back from playing school's football matches at Spring Lane and Jaffray playing fields in the 60s, and the shopkeeper often included some "scratchings" from the bottom of the fryer for us and what about the superbly named shop on the High Street? (photo 3).

View attachment 172714 View attachment 172715 View attachment 172716
When I shared a bed-sit in Gravelly Hill in the 1960s, one of my flat-mates used to rave about the fish and chips he bought from the Roman. I assumed that the chip shop owner was Italian but years later, it dawned on me that he meant that the shop served excellent roe. :D

I still cook my homemade fish and chips in lard. Plain flour, pinch of salt and dry cider to make the batter, nice chunky chips and a slice of bread and butter.
We used to put chips between two slices of bread and butter sometimes with a little HP, also crisps between bread and butter! Two good meals out of not so much :cool:

We used to put chips between two slices of bread and butter sometimes with a little HP, also crisps between bread and butter! Two good meals out of not so much :cool:
I still do. Sometimes, in a restaurant, if I don't want a large meal, I will order bread & butter and a bowl of chips and make a chip butty, much to the amusement of my children who will order a huge meal and then leave half of it.

This is an image of Pistolas fish and chip shop on the lefthand side of Hobmoor Rd travelling towards the Yew Tree. The ground on the right is where the river Cole runs so we are near the junction with Heybarnes Rd. Clearly before descimalisation and with an Austin Cambridge? out front. I am interested if anyone can help me with details of previous owners pre/ during the war.
I remember Pistolas Chip shop , from when I used to live on Hobmoor road he used sell glasses of Jusoda fizzy orange pop the he kept in the fridge, it really was a cold drink the waste land at the side gave access to the rear of newbridge road and all the gardens with fruit trees a great scrumping location.

Does anyone remember Knights up on the raised row of shops on the right hand side of A45 Coventry Road
as you approached the entrance to the airport?

I worked at the Post Office in Coleshill Street from 1962 until I got moved on in 1964 and well remember Blackpool fish and chip shop on the opposite side of the road by Gaskell and Chambers. It must have been almost directly opposite the Gaiety cinema. The name always intrigued me and still does. It was an interesting area in those days. A recent visit down memory lane found it all to have changed though. Still, it was sixty years ago.
Hi Clive F
Great to read your post and lovely to hear that someone remembers The Blackpool fish and chip shop. Even more so that you worked in Coleshill Street. It is rarely mentioned, so over the moon when I read your post. It was an interesting area you are right. So many happy memories . ( I also remember Gaskell & Chambers, they had some quirky item in the showroom? window but I can't remember what it was.) Kind regards and thank you . Sue

Chips Chips and more Chips please

Mary..............I've had fish and chips from Ninevah Road too, and they are smashin!

My Local Fish and Chip shop as a child was in Booth Street Handsworth. When we came out of The Regal Picture House on a Saturday morning, we would walk down Booth St and get a sixpeneth of chips, batter bits and a pickled onion each........you are so right John, the portions were huge and could be shared by all.

I miss the newspaper wrapping.............I'm not sure if its psychological or not, but fish and chips just dont taste the same anymore :(

PS - Nowadays 'Orange Chips' from Queenies in Great Bridge are to die for, physically and emotionally. They are coooked in dripping I think?........huge chunky beasts, orange in appearance and taste like heaven.....real 'heart clogging' cuisine. We risk them at least once a year :wink:
A relative of mine had chips from Nineveh Rd , the man who owned it was called Vernon surname escapes my relative . It was the first time he’d eaten crinkle cut chips this was back in the 60’s

Does anyone know if there was a fish & chip shop at these premises prior to being established by the Bedders family? My Dad told me that my Gran ran a chippie at one time. She lived in Heybarnes Road but was bombed out during the war.
I lived on the Coventry road by Bedders from the early sixties and it was always Bedders fish and chip shop As long as I have known it.

The picture attached show the elephants from Billy Smarts circus arriving at Heybarnes Rec
in the rear you will see the original Bedders as I knew it.
The garage past Bedders on the left was to be come Eatonways Coaches and a Triumph car dealership

Attachments

• 1666720226869.jpeg
    1666720226869.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 20
Back