• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

fish and chip shops

I can't remember the name but the fish and chip shop at the "Lickeys" just across the road from the bus terminus was brilliant.

I did'nt like fish much as a boy a friend nearly choked to death on a fish bone, so I usually had steak and kidney pie always the same one and still the best by far to-day "Flurs de Lyes akka, Pukka Pies.

I am wondering if there are business directories that are free to access from around the 1880's-1911's. Or if someone has access to check this out for me it would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for the name of a fish and chip shop my 3x great grandmother ran out of the front of her house (this is what is said).
Her name was Emma Birch (nee Hardy). In the 1901 Census they lived at 88 Cromwell St. (Aston) and this shows her having a fish shop, previous census records show her family at 73 Cromwell St. so only a few house away.

Thanks in advance!

In 1897-1910 No 88 Cromwell St is listed as Edward Birch, Fried fish dealer In 1896 the fish shop was run by Thomas Cunliffe, and in 1912 by Walter Rooke

Does anyone know thw name of family who ran the fish + chip shop in Taunton Road, off Ladypool Road. 1940-1950

Thanks, Bea

in the 1950 kellys directory theres a william piper, fried fish dealer at 41 taunton rd. and a ernest leake, fried fish dealer at 22 taunton rd. shera

Does anyone know where there might be a photo of the chippie in Maxstoke St circa 1913 - My ILES ancestors ran it
Ta!

Hi bestcover, my family name of ILES occupied the fish and chip shop on maxstoke street during the war years. I don't know who actually owned it at the time, I was a child so I'm curious about your connection or information related to 1913.

The one at the Yew Tree in Yardley, went there for years, Plaice and chips YUMMY. Mushy peas of course. In Colorado, good luck finding GOOD Fish and Chips, Got a laff last week, Took my wife of 51 yrs Marcia, for her birthday at a very up scale Hotel The Broadmoor, in Colorado Springs,Colorado. They have an English style pub there The Golden Bee. In the 1960s they dismantled a pub in London and had it brought over to the Broadmoor in Colorado. Quite nice, so I ordered the Fish and Chips. WRONG! Cod not to bad, chips, bloody awful, BUT the MUSHY PEAS served ICE COLD in a small metal shot cup! Costs an arm and a leg to boot! Marcia had a BLT that was pretty good. John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Co USA

My best friend in the 1950's was Jean Thomas. Her Mom and Dad had a fish and chip shop on Soho Road, Handsworth. It was called the Blackpool Fish and Chip shop and was on the same side as the Regal Cinema. I think you could get a bag of chips for 6d in those days!!

Judy

There was a fish & chip shop on Stechford Lane, near Cotterels lane, & one at the Fox and Goose (next to the sports ground), all good.

John, you should have explained what a BLT is (bacon lettuce & tomato) sandwich is l always get it with a order of fries , sorry about your fish and chips not turning out to good, living so near to the gulf we are able to get fresh fish but one can'nt beat cod and chips l always buy the cod at the store do my own chips open a can of mushy peas and whalla! thats as close to friday night fish and chips we get....Brenda

Never mind John. You will be able to have some REAL English fresh fish and chips, with superb mushy peas, in Sheringham. Well worth a call during your UK visit next year. Marcia will also love it. Eddie

My favourite fish and chip shop was on Shaftsmoor Lane, Hall Green, between Reddings Lane and Russell Road. As a young lad, I used to collect old newspapers and exchange them for a few pence at the fish and chip shop. They were used as the outer wrapping.

the fish and chip shop on Kingstanding Road, near Tresham Road did superb f & c, queue a mike long on Friday nights. According to Streetview it's still there, 50 years on. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

the fish and chip shop on Kingstanding Road, near Tresham Road did superb f & c, queue a mule long on Friday nights. According to Streetview it's still there, 50 years on. Viv.

and still a good chippy viv

That's good Lyn. In the 1960s my mum knew the owners (they were Greek) - expect it's changed hands since then. My mum worked at one of the shops nearby and the shopowners/ workers would all do each other favours. We'd get the best pieces of fish and the freshest cooked chips from there on a Friday or Saturday. My mum always said no-one could cook chips as good as Greek people - and she came from Yorkshire where they pride themselves on the superiority of their chips. (She certainly wasn't loyal to her northern roots!) Viv.

hi viv its changed hands a few times since i have been here but like i say its still a good un...if you ever find yourself back in kingstanding you must pop in for a bag of chips lol...

lyn

I remember quite a few fish & chips shop queues in 1940/50's Brum. It was the best Friday night dinner for many of us, and the prices were right. Sadly today, its considered an expensive meal, and I cannot recall seeing a queue for fish & chips for many a day. Eddie

You would see a queue if you went to the black country museum, where they cook them properly in animal fat and not so-called healthy oil

Hi Eddie,

I remember having fish and chips in Sheringham, - somewhere down the bottom of High St on the right I think.

We took them to the prom at the end of the road and ate them there. Very nice too, but a bit of a struggle to keep the
gulls away!!

Kind regards

Dave

Hi all, I was brought up in a fish and chip shop, with my two brothers, it was my grans shop in Park Rd Hockley, and we lived on fish and chips, gran would sell a large plaice, which would overhang a dinner plate, not very thick about half an inch or so, a shovellfull of chips and a large donker, [pickled onion] she also did mussels and whelks, freshly cooked, and home made faggots in gravey, I have never tasted better, I never told you Gran, that I loved you after all this time, and thanks for everything, Regards Eddyjayau

gran would sell a large plaice, which would overhang a dinner plate,

Not actually about a chip shop but I'm reminded of a time when my kid brother & I were to have our dinner with our Dad.
We cycled from the Maypole to the Austin factory and we were sat at a long table, in the canteen, with all the workers.
Dad brought us our fish & chips and we were awed by the sight of a huge piece of fish, which hung over both sides of the plate. Something we kids had never seen before !

In 1974 my Scottish wife, 13 year old Aussie born son and me came to the UK and hired a motorhome so we always had our home with us.
One evening we were in North Field and decided to get our tucker from a fish and chip shop.
To our surprise there were two fish and chip shops only a couple of shops apart, one with only a few customers and the other had a queue that came out of the shop onto the pavement
We naturally joined the queue of the popular shop and when we got to the counter the wife and I chose fish and chips and my son settled for a pie and chips.
To our surprise the order was all wrapped up in one heap, 2 fish a heap of chips and the pie stuck on top then all rolled in together.

They were the worst we have ever been sold, the fish was covered in the thickest rubbery batter, the chips were soggy and the pie had absorbed some of the grease and was revolting.
The wrapping paper was soaked through with the greasy oily contents.
We just threw them in the bin by the bus stop and went back to our wee home on wheels and settled on beans on toast.
The highlight of the episode was that as we walked past the bus queue a mother said to her child "Oh shut up you miserable little ferret" a term of endearment that we often use in family conversation, and it whisks us back to that evening!

Hi Eddie,

I remember having fish and chips in Sheringham, - somewhere down the bottom of High St on the right I think.

We took them to the prom at the end of the road and ate them there. Very nice too, but a bit of a struggle to keep the
gulls away!!

Kind regards

Dave

Spot on Dave,

We shall be there this week end, and see all the holiday makers enjoying their fish & chips, from the same shop, and sitting
on the sea front. The gulls are a menace, but what can we do? They were there first! Happy days, eh. Eddie.

Spot on Dave,
The gulls are a menace, but what can we do? They were there first! Happy days, eh. Eddie.

That is because some tourists take delight in feeding them. Locals usually, but not always, avoid doing that: they learned, centuries ago, the hazards - physical and healthwise - of doing so.
g080.gif

Alan
Here in Worcestershire city we not only have the gulls to be contended with but dammed opinions as well
As soon as you sit on the bench with what ever food you are eating the scores of opinions swoop down to your feet almost pecking your shoe laces off
And then the gulls are on the roof tops by the dozens watching down as soon as they see the opinions pecking or some one threw a crumb to it
The gulls comes like ligntinghting and snatches from the opinion the gulls even snatch it from your hand as you are walking along with any think visible in your hand
That you are eating a couple of years ago my mate and myself eating chips along the parade of the city on the benches
When this gull swooned down to our hands and nicked some chips but in the process nipped his thumb and drawn blood
But what gets me annoyed his yes people are sitting there in the city of word, and there is a load of benches all placed down the high street
And people are sitting there feeding these dammed birds which is annoying
The gulls are squealing like mad constantly but dive bombing you for your food and if you try to try and strike out with your foot or your hand
And there is a copper he will nick you for it as a crulity act and get a fine as some people down here have received over the time gone bye
If you asked me the human race as gone yampie the mind boggles but word, is way behind the times in every shape and form
It uses old laws for prosecution. Best wishes astonian,,,,,,,,,

Hi all, I was brought up in a fish and chip shop, with my two brothers, it was my grans shop in Park Rd Hockley, and we lived on fish and chips, gran would sell a large plaice, which would overhang a dinner plate, not very thick about half an inch or so, a shovellfull of chips and a large donker, [pickled onion] she also did mussels and whelks, freshly cooked, and home made faggots in gravey, I have never tasted better, I never told you Gran, that I loved you after all this time, and thanks for everything, Regards Eddyjayau

Ditto for the Park Road chippie. There used to be a little corner where you could eat in all for a 1/- Good old Reg.

Chips shop

Hi

Just seen Nick Stein with a piece of Cod. Worth more than Salmon. Reminded me of McCarthy chip shop in top of Bordesley Green the old 53/54 terminus. Every Thursday night for several years we had our Drill at the School 12th Batallion Boys Brigade. Under Captain Shipway and John Watt. By 9-00pm 53/54 took me to the terminus.
Into McCarthy's for 1/6d worth of Fish and Chips circa 1958? I had a fair walk to a small road near the Yardley Arms. It was huge piece of Cod delicious and those chips were to die for. By the time I got to the outer circle about half way home my pleasure was over.

Mike Jenks.

Re: Chips shop

Hi

Just seen Nick Stein with a piece of Cod. Worth more than Salmon. Reminded me of McCarthy chip shop in top of Bordesley Green the old 53/54 terminus. Every Thursday night for several years we had our Drill at the School 12th Batallion Boys Brigade. Under Captain Shipway and John Watt. By 9-00pm 53/54 took me to the terminus.
Into McCarthy's for 1/6d worth of Fish and Chips circa 1958? I had a fair walk to a small road near the Yardley Arms. It was huge piece of Cod delicious and those chips were to die for. By the time I got to the outer circle about half way home my pleasure was over.

Mike Jenks.
Suggest that this posting goes under the existing thread of "fish and chip shops" in order to avoid a proliferation of threads with the same theme. Very interesting evocative post, by the way. Dave.

Back