• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

First Record Bought?

We had a Dansette and i used to do that with Cilla Black( I think i'm going out of my head)until someone would shout So are we

one of the first I bought was Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders Um Um Um etc. Now I see him walking around here in Spain and appearing in local bars. Still good

I went to buy I've been a bad, bad, boy by Paul Jones in 1967 from the record shop on The Parade, Kingshurst but they had sold out, so I bought Matthew and Son by Cat Stevens for 6/8d. Later, named my son Matthew, good job they didn't have I've been a bad, bad boy! My Mom owned two records Tears by Ken Dodd and I Believe by Frank Ifield and played them continuously. Does anyone remember Dial a Disc in the 60's? I worked for the GPO as an operator in Hill Street, this young girl called and asked to be put through to Dial a Disc, my friend and I said put your 6d in to the phone box and then we sang 'Young gifted and Black', then we said 'Did you enjoy that' and she said 'Yes, thank you very much'. We found it so funny, would have been in mega trouble if anyone had heard us, we even had to request 'a casual', in those days if we needed the loo and were timed. How times have changed. Anne

We had a Dansette and if you kept the arm off the player it kept playing the same record over and over again. I sat in our back yard with Cliff and Living Doll playing for ages, much to the delight (or not) of the neighbours. Did anyone ever turn their records into a ashtray - can you remember the fad for this? Or, remember the radio show 'Break the Record'
I'd love a Dansette, you can still get them on eBay but they can be a bit expensive..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dansette-Junior-Single-Play-Record-Player-/271185223095?pt=UK_Collectables_RadioTelevision_Telephony_SM&hash=item3f23e61db7

My first single was...
[video=youtube;WuUh8C7A_BI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuUh8C7A_BI[/video]

My first recording, purchased at Cranes in Corporation Street/Old Square around 1951 was a 78 rpm. HMV recording of the The Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor, Op. 23 (to quote the full title). I don't recall the cost, nor the artistes, but I stlll have that record. I mentioned this, at the time, to the Music Master at school and as I often visited the City centre I was entrusted to purchase, on the schools behalf, recordings that were played as part of our musical studies.

We used to sell the dansette record players at our shop in Aston with the BSR auto change that my dad said "worked like a mangle" but did the job.It was rather primitive when compared to the Garrard auto change on the old posh radiograms.We also sold records and my first purchase was Stupid Cupid by Connie Francis

My first record was paul anka ; and winnie attwel bought from park rd oppersite ansells
and i bought one of those dannasetes to play on and in fact my younger brother whom lived in tamworth
still as my dannasete player it was red and grey ; in colour
keep them spinning guys ; best wishes astonian;;;;;;

Matty's had a record shop on Lichfield Road near to Ansells,our shop was further down the Lichfield Road opposite Ansells wine celler and next door to Bert Pittaway fishing shop And Bee bee's clothes shop

Tower of Strength by Frankie Vaughan.

My Christmas present when I was 11 was a Dansette Record player, red and cream, (it's still at my parents) and I liked that record (oh dear!) I think it was probably bought from the big Boots in town.

We had various 78rpms but don't remember the names of the records, think I was too young. Our first memorable 45rpm was 'My Old Man's A Dustman' by Lonnie Donnegan. Classy,eh? Wasn't it dreadful looking back! Viv.

"I'll Remember April" by the George Shearing Quintet on a 78 rpm in 1952 from a music shop that used to be just inside Poplar Road, Kings Heath. I was amazed that he even had it in stock!

Maurice

Hi Judy,

Glad to see you about and hope you & the family are keeping well in all that cold weather. Sadly I've no longer got the 78, but I do have it as an mp3 somewhere in the basement of this machine!

Maurice

HI Harbourne
I Also bought that record of barrys the eve of destruction ; it was brillient i thought
i used to drive my mother and brothers barmy with it i must have played it over and over million times i woukld not be surprized i wore the grooves
out; on the subject of the beatles i was never a fan of theres until years later
i have been a huge fan of the stones and still am from there first date on the scene and screen;and when they was universary ;
it was called Come on; and i have still have and play there old ones even today ;
And when they played bill haley and the comets at the aston cross picture house they went wlld and danced in the gang ways and
they slashed to seats it cost them money to repair and that story is in the sunday mercury as well that was the morning after the showing ;
and thats all they done ; the local teddy boys from aston was good as gold and polite ;
it was the old teddy boys from the king standing in thou,s days with ther bed springs in there pockets the old ladys used to step aside when the teddys walked along the lichfield rd in there drapes some was really swmart ; god old days i say ;
best wishes Astonian;;

I'm fine Maurice. Hope you are too and that things are settling down for you - as much as they ever can x

hi mal ;
I Can recall your fishing shop and bee,s and all the other shops along thereold mr matty tok us all the kids one winter night
waiting for uncle holly and father christmas to come along on his slay ;we was there at five oclock a whole gang of us from the terrace
of cromwell terrance by 6 .45 he called us all into the back of the shop and told us all to sit on the floor and watch the tele; and when father xmas comes along he would tell us and he gave us all a jaffa to watch the tele; it was warm in there and true the word he came running back into the back
and shouted come on kids here he comes ; we al shouted at xmas and he waved we was only toddlers bearing in mind
nice man he was ;i lived next to thompsons i know the shops and thje strets like the back of my hand ;
do you remember the bike shop with the huge peny farthing stanging high out side the shop
my next door neibour jackie his middle age now and she told me of how she came down from wales and started at that rspca just down
from your shop before they moved further down the rd to a bigger place on the opersite side of the rd
did you ever go into the bee hive pub or the cafe ? best wishes Astonian;;

I used to buy my records from George Green on Stratford Road, mainly Freddy Gardener, Peter York , Ray Martin etc.Could never get on the so called music of the "60s".Bernard

First record I can remember being given was Lily the Pink by the Scaffold, first record I actually got myself was Puppy Love by Donny Osmond - my heart-throb lol! There were two distinct camps either Donny or David Cassidy!
Sue

First record I can remember being given was Lily the Pink by the Scaffold, first record I actually got myself was Puppy Love by Donny Osmond - my heart-throb lol! There were two distinct camps either Donny or David Cassidy!
Sue
David Cassidy is 64 now which is really quite scary:uncomfortableness: This was probably his best number..
[video=youtube;p1rpKz_52GE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1rpKz_52GE[/video]

Thanks Brumgum, still Donny for me though! Probably because he is younger and as a just Grammar school student, seemed more reachable.
Sue

Hi sistersue
I recall the scaffold and pink floyed they was good ;
the scaffold did not do much in the way of recording did they ; ? ,
If my memry serves me correct one of the scaffold was paul McCarthys brother whom later got involved with making or recording certain bands
when they split up ; best wishes Astonian;;

hi all, my abiding memory from about 1954 was of my older brother Ron, now in Australia for the last 46years, being givern an old record player, just the turntable, not the cabinet, and the only record he had was Tennesse Williams singing The River of No Return, i think we both wore that record out, happy days. Eddyjay.

hi all, my abiding memory from about 1954 was of my older brother Ron, now in Australia for the last 46years, being givern an old record player, just the turntable, not the cabinet, and the only record he had was Tennesse Williams singing The River of No Return, i think we both wore that record out, happy days. Eddyjay.
Could it have possibly been Tennessee Ernie Ford:culpability: anyway if you've worn yours out you better have this..
[video=youtube;5tTmBOixI4k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tTmBOixI4k[/video]

Probably the earliest records I can remember in our house were either "Softly, softly" by Ruby Murray, "Unchained Melody" by Jimmy Young or "Rose Marie" by Slim Whitman. The first record I ever bought was a Bill Haley LP, I think it was called "Rock around the clock".

Back