• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

fire cans

J

jake

any of you made a fire can when you were kids, we had great fun swinging them round in the dark.

Hi,
There's quite a few comments about them here and there on the forum. I was swinging mine around one day to make it glow and the wire broke with burning embers going everywhere. I think if the kids of today started using them 'elf and safety' would go into overdrive !
icon10.gif

Originally Posted by lencops
Remember fire cans?, you knocked holes ina tin can and made it like a brazier, attached a piece of wire in a loop started a fire with bits of wood and paper then added bits of coal swung it round and got the can glowing you put on your small spud swung the firecan and when you thought it was done peeled off the burnt outer and ate it, delicious!!, ( it was`nt!!). Len

Perhaps we ought to keep the 'design' of them secret, if we saw kids of today swinging them around we would probably all become rather grumpy about bits of burning coal dropping on our cars etc !
icon12.gif

oldMohawk, May i say that the forum members are of the age that would know how to make fire cans and the little people with no idea about how behave do not read our postings, presuming they can read!. Len.

I remember when the can came off the wire and landed on top of the local toffs garage, it was too high to climb onto so we had to throw canfulls of water onto it from the deep puddles that were on the bombsite, the toff came out and chased us, needless to say, when he told my dad what had happened i didnt sit down for day's SORE A**E.

And LEN how many times did you burn your fingers did the embers get in your hair? thats why I ave Bald patches now
icon7.gif
thats my excuse
icon14.gif

Back