• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fillerys Toffees Ltd Of Greet

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Can't say I've ever heard of this company. But its 'national' works were at Greet. Nice view of Worcester Cathedral on the tin. Viv.

image.jpeg

Viv,

I remember Fillery's Toffees as a kid, but I didn't realise they were made in Brum. Never had them in a tin though, just bought them by the quarter from the big jars.

Maurice

Viv,

There's a short thread on FB about it and the business was dissolved around the turn of this century. They were based in Wilders Drive, Warwick Road. There's also a fancy tin for sale on eBay in the USA. Courtesy of FB, here's another tin. They were originally incorporated on 3 August 1934.

Maurice

Attachments

• Fillerys.jpg
    Fillerys.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 21
My next door neighbour was a driver for Filleries and he would bring home loads of toffee misshapes...:p

You learn something every day! I well remember Wilder's fireworks, but didn't realise they were made in Greet, not far from me in the 1940s, though it seems it is not the first time it has been mentioned on the Forum.

Maurice

My friend's Mum worked for Fillerys Toffees. We used to meet her from work on a Friday as she bought home bags of the toffees, also whilst we were waiting, other workers leaving used to offer us toffees as well. I don't think we ever turned down an offer, as treats were so rare.

A great aunt worked at Fillery's. In 1940's when she visited she always bought toffees that were wrapped in green foil. They were so creamy!

My mother's first job after leaving school was at Fillery's Toffee in about 1947/8. She always told us so every time we passed there on the no. 44 bus going into town. If I remember correctly it was up a road by the side of Brooke Tools factory in Greet. Mum always loved slab toffee, bought in town, that we had try to smash up. We later managed to buy a couple of toffee hammers which enabled her to break the toffee up herself.

Both my Mom and my Auntie worked for Fillerys. They were both there around the late 1940s but Mom left to have her first baby, me !. Aunt Alice carried on working there for years and a visit to her home was always a treat as she had a cupboard full of mis-shapes and other delights. My favourite was chocolate covered caramel squares, mmmm I can taste them now.
I had two Auntie Alices, one on my Dad's side who worked at Cadburys and one on my Mom's side who worked at Fillerys and both of them used to stuff us full of chocolate and toffees when we saw them. It's amazing that I've still got my teeth!!!!

Snap jmadone! My mother got married in September 1951 and nine months later I came along! She always looked back on Fillery's as the job of her dreams. She always had a sweet tooth!

Snap jmadone! My mother got married in September 1951 and nine months later I came along! She always looked back on Fillery's as the job of her dreams. She always had a sweet tooth!
I was born in 1949 and you say your Mom worked there in 1947/48, it's highly likely they worked together around that time. She once told me of a fire/explosion at the nearby Wilders fireworks factory but whether that was before or after she left I can't remember.

I believe that during the war years, and perhaps beyond, the owner of Fillerys Toffees was a gentleman by the name of Tom Fillery.

Tom was a leading light in the Birmingham Home Guard and I have information about him. Amongst other things, in the summer of 1940 he organised the local platoon near his home in Quinton and took it on himself in the first few weeks to fund and build a substantial, fortified, defensive structure in the car park at the new Danilo cinema.

Is he remembered?

Chris

Filleryw350.jpg

August 1943, Birmingham Mail.

(Fillerys Toffees were incorporated in 1934 and TC Fillery became Managing Director.)

B99592B5-7211-4ECA-B17D-70B1973A5A66.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks like Mr TC Fillery still used the “title” Lt-Col in his sponsorship for a cup at the Tenbury Show in 1954.

Hello , I was wondering if anyone may be able to help me? I believe that Thomas Carey Fillery may have been my maternal grandfather. I have a photo if anyone is able to identify whether it is him?
Many thanks

He appears to have had 3 daughters, Patricia, Joyce and Sheila?

And a daughter Jean from his first marriage?

Last edited:
Hello , I was wondering if anyone may be able to help me? I believe that Thomas Carey Fillery may have been my maternal grandfather. I have a photo if anyone is able to identify whether it is him?
Many thanks
Have a look at post #21 in the thread, Burnt_peanuts, where a photograph of him appears. Could we see your image please?

Tom Fillery was a leading light in the Home Guard during the war years. He may well appear in contemporary Home Guard group images which in his case might include the 12th Worcestershire (Warley) Battalion in 1940 to 1942/43 and, later in the war, the 8th Worcestershire.

Chris

Many thanks
Hi, Tom Fillery was definitely my maternal grandfather! So I'm sure I can help you out (I was idly googling his name and found your post)

Back