• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Field family

changinman1

master brummie
Has anyone got any memories of the Field family from inner city Birmingham.

Living in streets such as.

BAGOT STREET
ORMOND STREET
GREAT RUSSELL STREET
NEWHALL STREET

Charles Field
George Field
Joseph Field
:)

Regards

Karl Field

Hi ....No Lorenzo as far as I know, where did he live ?? , and I wonder how he came to have such a non British name.

Karl Field:)

I do not have my info. with me. (I'm working!) If you have access to Ancestry, do a search for Lorenzo Field and you will see a few census entries. He was married to Jane West. Theyhad a son Lorenzo too.

Hi ....No Lorenzo as far as I know, where did he live ?? , and I wonder how he came to have such a non British name.

Karl Field:)

Hi Karl,

Just a snippet I turned up recently whilst doing some research
on a Charles Hirschfeld. I was told by someone that the Birmingham
property firm AH Field's family name was originally Hirschfeld which
would appear to have Germanic origins. I suppose that although
the surname was 'anglicised' traditional family Christian names could
have been kept.

Kind regards

Dave

I had Fields in my family (My Gt Aunt married a Horace Field of Summer Lane in 1924) but they died out last year.

Hi, I have a Florence Field was (Florence Denim) that married a George Field, went on to have 2 girls called Eileen and possibly Ivy.

I'm chasing my family tree too for my Grandma so If this means anything to you, please let me know.

George and Florence did have 2 daughters, Eileen & Ivy. Ivy married Harry T Thearle in 1940.

Florence appears to be Denham rather than Denim, daughter of John Denham & (Charlotte) Emma Poyner.

George and Florence did have 2 daughters, Eileen & Ivy. Ivy married Harry T Thearle in 1940.

Florence appears to be Denham rather than Denim, daughter of John Denham & (Charlotte) Emma Poyner.
Yes! Eileen is my grandma's mother. We were just now discussing her family tree while I started searching and came across this post.

I have just told told her you have some information and she advised that Henry and Ivy (my grandma's aunti and uncle) had a daughter called Caroline and they moved to Australia for a little while on the "ten pound Bob" I think she said.. but they came back, and I believe Harry had a restaurant down south, somewhere.

I apologise for the misspelling of Denham, I weren't sure. But that's correct, my grandma's grandma was a Denham, and they were Quakers. As Eileen married a man that drank (George Field) her family didn't have much to do with her as they were very religious.

I'm so pleased to learn more! We don't have alot of information on my grandma's mother's side, so thank you very much!

Yes! Eileen is my grandma's mother. We were just now discussing her family tree while I started searching and came across this post.

I have just told told her you have some information and she advised that Henry and Ivy (my grandma's aunti and uncle) had a daughter called Caroline and they moved to Australia for a little while on the "ten pound Bob" I think she said.. but they came back, and I believe Harry had a restaurant down south, somewhere.

I apologise for the misspelling of Denham, I weren't sure. But that's correct, my grandma's grandma was a Denham, and they were Quakers. As Eileen married a man that drank (George Field) her family didn't have much to do with her as they were very religious.

I'm so pleased to learn more! We don't have alot of information on my grandma's mother's side, so thank you very much!
Sorry I meant Florence married George not Eileen **

No apology necessary. I have no connection but I can give a few more details if you would like.

Oh that's a shame, but yes anything you have would be greatly appreciated please!

My grandma's name is Hickman, prior to marriage and we're pretty sure that line ends with her, so tracing her mom's side (Field) and (Denham) back would be lovely!

Thanks in advance!!

Eileen Elsie Field was born 29 Oct 1916, daughter of George Field and Florence Denham. She was baptised 19 Nov 1916 All Saints, Hockley.

In 1939 she was a Despatch Clerk at a Jeweller's Warehouse living at 1 back 11 Lees St with her parents and sister.

George Field was born 10 Oct 1889, son of Isaac Field and Martha Morris. He was baptised 10 Nov 1889 All Saints, Hockley.

In 1911 he was a Glass Blower living at 5 Radnor St, Soho, Bham with his parents and siblings.

Florence Denham was born 22 Sep 1889, daughter of John Denham and Charlotte Emma Poyner.

In 1901 she was living at 2 Granville Place, Anderton St with parents, siblings and a nephew. She was the youngest of 9. Not sure where she was in 1911. She's not with her mother, who is a widow living at Camden Grove, Bham.

George and Florence married 4 Apr 1915 All Saints, Hockley.

That's so wonderful thank you so much. My mom has been looking with my grandma for years and never found anything!
May I ask where you have got this information from? Hopefully I can look there for even more information.

Do you know anything further about the field side? At all? And do you know anything about the deaths of anyone mentioned above?

Thanks again, this means more than you could imagine!

All info is available in geneaology websites - Ancestry, familysearch, findmypast etc.

Florence died 1982. George probably died in 1953.

Isaac Field was born 1866 in Bham, son of Charles Field and Caroline Dudley. He was also a glass blower. He married Martha Morris in 1888.

Charles Field was born 1826, He was a glass blower as well. He married Caroline Allen (nee Dudley) a widow 6 sep 1863 St Phillips, Bham.

Charles Field was also widowed when he married Caroline. He was previously married to an Anne Boulton.

Charles' father appears to be a Thomas Field, another Glass Blower. So that's 4 generations of glass blowers.

A few interesting things further back including a possible 5 x great grandfather, born in Cornwall who was in the Royal Marines and Coldstream Guards.

Oh wow okay, yeah I can't find of their job info. I signed up to ansestry the other day, and have dug loads, found more names but nothing in the detail you have!

Hi, I have a Florence Field was (Florence Denim) that married a George Field, went on to have 2 girls called Eileen and possibly Ivy.

I'm chasing my family tree too for my Grandma so If this means anything to you, please let me know.
Hi ive got a florence field who was a sister to my grandad charles henry field ?

Hi ive got a florence field who was a sister to my grandad charles henry field ?

The person's Field relative appears to have been a George Field who married a Florence Denham. This George appears to be the son of an Isaac and Martha Field.

Doesn't appear to be any connection to your Field relatives - if Charles Henry was the son of George William Field and Ellen Ray? George William the son of Joseph & Sarah mentioned on the Brearley St thread?

The person's Field relative appears to have been a George Field who married a Florence Denham. This George appears to be the son of an Isaac and Martha Field.

Doesn't appear to be any connection to your Field relatives - if Charles Henry was the son of George William Field and Ellen Ray? George William the son of Joseph & Sarah mentioned on the Brearley St thread?
yes charles is the son of george

On my wife's side her Great Grand Mother Caroline married an Albert G Field in 1938.They had both been married before and lived in Firsby Road in 1939 Register with her Daughter and her Grand Daughter ( wifes Mom). They had both previously lived in and around Cheapside and town....

hello there, my husbands mother was Caroline Thearle, the only daughter of Ivy Field and Harry Thearle. Ivy passed away during the Covid lockdowns in Melbourne, Australia at the age of 102. She received a letter from Queen Elizabeth on her 100th birthday. Thanks for sharing this information - so interesting. There was a glass hammer made by George and i think he worked for a company with the name Shaw? Ivy told stories that he blew glasses for Queen Elizabeth when she was young and remembered many families seeking shelter in their basement during WW2.

Back