• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Farm Street Hockley

I know that between 1901 and 1921, George, Joseph and Thomas Evans moved out of 47 Ventnor Road and I know they lived nearby after marriage. It's possible at least one of them died in WWI.

Not Thomas or George, appear to have died in 53 and 60 respectively.

And Joseph seems to be still alive in 1921 living in Burbury St. Can't be certain, unlike the other 2 he has no middle name.

Last edited:
Farm St school and St Saviour Church in this aerial view looking west over Hockley dated 1950. Bridge St West runs diagonally from bottom left and Farm St from bottom changing direction where Villa St crosses it.
View attachment 157112

A aerial view looking north dated 1948 shows the school and church from another direction.
View attachment 157111
images from 'britainfromabove'
These photos are terrific - the first images I have of the area my Dad grew up in. The very bottom left corner of the top photo shows the beginning of Ventnor Rd, the east-facing side. Is it possible there are any other aerial photos that would show the area below the view of the top photo?

There are a number of photos of Ventnor Road on this thread (link below), fairly certain that no. 47 is shown on at least 2 of them...

These photos are terrific - the first images I have of the area my Dad grew up in. The very bottom left corner of the top photo shows the beginning of Ventnor Rd, the east-facing side. Is it possible there are any other aerial photos that would show the area below the view of the top photo?
Here are three views of Ventnor Rd dated 1950 but the aircraft was not in the best position for viewing that particular road. I haven't marked it because you know where it is ... :)
Pic 1 Ventnor Rd and gardens back on to the school.
1_VentnorRd.jpg

Pic 2 Ventnor Rd from the southeast but only partial.
2_VentnorRd.jpg

Pic 3 Ventnor Rd with gardens backing on to the school,
3_VentnorRd.jpg
all images from 'britainfromabove

Not Thomas or George, appear to have died in 53 and 60 respectively.

And Joseph seems to be still alive in 1921 living in Burbury St. Can't be certain, unlike the other 2 he has no middle name.

Here are three views of Ventnor Rd dated 1950 but the aircraft was not in the best position for viewing that particular road. I haven't marked it because you know where it is ... :)
Pic 1 Ventnor Rd and gardens back on to the school.
View attachment 172830

Pic 2 Ventnor Rd from the southeast but only partial.
View attachment 172831

Pic 3 Ventnor Rd with gardens backing on to the school,
View attachment 172832
all images from 'britainfromabove
These are awesome - thank you so much! I tried searching 'britainfromabove' using their map and with various key words but nothing came up...what's your trick? ;-)

I search using the map but it is not easy. You might find some interesting views of the area in the thread link below. I've just noticed that Ventnor Rd is in some of them.
I might add that I did not live in the area .... just passed through in the 1950s on the way to the Birmingham Ice Rink on Summerhill.
oldmohawk ...:)

do not recognise the old pub now...photos taken yesterday...plenty of work going on inside which is totally gutted

lyn

View attachment 177797View attachment 177798View attachment 177799
Is it going to reopen as the 'Queens Head' or put to another use ? The top of the archway and the four windows are recognisable although the latter are smaller. Used to live in the parallel Bridge St West way up the other end right next door to St Saviours church. Left in 1954 when the family moved to Northfield.

very doubtful it will remain a pub trevor...at one time i think planning permission was applied for turning into apartments...time will tell

lyn

very doubtful it will remain a pub trevor...at one time i think planning permission was applied for turning into apartments...time will tell

lyn
Ah well, there goes another bit of our local history. The two stone pillars at the entrance to Burbury St Park and the park keeper's house still exist from when I played there in the early fifties. I think they're original structures, unless of course they've been rebuilt !

So many of our great watering holes of the early 60's have disappeared now, it really is so sad, but with a dawn of new generations, who never looked at the pub as their local, and a home from home, to be expected. I remember when I started to drink, in around 1961, a pint of mild cost 10d, and a packet of fags 9d. In winter they normally had a roaring fire, and a drinking area outside for Summer, I'm lucky , I have the "Red Lion", where I meet my mate John on a Friday night, though it costs around £4 75 a pint, here, and there's only central heating!!! Miss those great pubs of Brum, knew quite a few, some if not all, possibly gone now!!

i wonder if anyone can identify the court name/number above the entry and post a map please..also looking at all the adverts around the shop does anyone know what football oats were..cant quite make out the rest of the words on the advert

lyn

many thanks john that is great...now to work out what is in its place now...should not be too difficult using the overlay maps

edit...the old shop was just opposite where panel village is now and i would have walked past many times to do a left at guildford st and a second right into paddington st to visit my nan when we moved from there to villa st

lyn

Last edited:
I agree that the map shows 57, but not sure that thta is what the enlarged number on the photo says
ScreenHunter 6977.jpg

think the sign does say 57 mike but there is also writing above it..normally it would say the word court but maybe its a court name..would still like to know what football oats are :D

thanks mike thats sorted that one out...looking again at that photo i find it strange to believe as a teenager i walked past many times without giving the shops or houses a second thought...guess a lot of us did at that age..

lyn

thanks mike thats sorted that one out...looking again at that photo i find it strange to believe as a teenager i walked past many times without giving the shops or houses a second thought...guess a lot of us did at that age..

lyn
Same for me - I remember Farm St, Wheeler St, Dr Carolan's surgery etc., to this day even though I was only 5 when we left to move to Unett St.

Back