• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Farm Street Hockley

It's so sad to see all the borded-up houses in the photographs. It was a wonderful, friendly and safe neighbourhood. We didn't have much but I was happy growing up around Farm Street. Mabz

Hi Lyn, Great pic,s of Farm St where I was born , at 253.at my mom.s fish & chip shop. opposite. Evans paper shop. I don.t know if I am wrong but I thought Frankfort St ran parallel with Farm St? starting at Gt Russel St. to summer lane.?
Jean. Riverside California.

hi mabz totally agreet with you...happy days indeed down the old end...

topsy im sure that as we turned out of guildford st and turned left dollys house was just a little way down on that side..

mike if you spot this could i have a map please showing the location of st mathias school..thank you..

hello jean hope you are well...you are spot on that frankfort st ran parallel with farm st and yes it started a gt russell st and finished at summer lane...why did you doubt yourself jean??...you have a great memory...better than mine lol

lyn

Dolly lived about half way between Guildford Street and Lennox Street on the north side; she was always stood at the top of the entry. I think there was a parrot in the window nearby.

I recently found my leavers autograph book from Burbury Street School (Primary) from 1955. Some people on here will remember these names. Headmaster's autograph from his rubber stamp!
BSS AB 1.JPGBSS AB 2.JPGBSS AB 3.JPGBSS AB 5.JPG

Dolly lived about half way between Guildford Street and Lennox Street on the north side; she was always stood at the top of the entry. I think there was a parrot in the window nearby.

mike im no good with north and souths...was the north side on the opposite side of harry lucas school ??

how wonderful to still have your autograph book rob...another piece of priceless history for you...its amazing how a few photos can get a thread going again..

thanks for sharing..

lyn

Last edited:
The north side was the side with Guilford Street, Lennox Street, CV Bull, Sid Lawley's, the fish and chip shop mentioned above, the green grocer/fishmonger on the corner of Wheeler Street (whose name I have just forgotten). The south side (town side) had Hospital Street, the Guilford Arms pub, Mrs Jaggers' shop where you bought Kalie and pop, Gt Russell Street, Evans' newsagents, Lucas's, Burbury Street School, etc.,

hope.jpg
Just as an aside - this was hanging on the wall in the office of the headmaster of Burbury Street, (name above on autograph book). It is Hope by G F Watts. Quite cheerful for us primary school kids. Its probably what helped me to grow up as such a positive chap. He always said that he chose the pictures around the school with special care.

Re #218 - I certainly remember the head but don't remember any of the other names, but then I am hopeless at names. I remember my last teacher there - Mr Warriner. At the end of the year he would caution us to remember to close the gates behind us when we went for a walk in the country - many of my friends had never seen a cow let alone been in the country - never wear jeans (the were just coming in) unless you were happy to look like a slovenly person, and chewing gum, Well! - but worst of all were girls who used shampoo! - they were Jezebels - using a hair brush 100 times was the right way to look after your hair.

FARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 020.JPGwhat a lovely painting to have at the school michael...so pleased it kept you in good stead thoughout life..

now..i wonder if anyone can give me the exact location of this one...its taken on the corner of farm st and what st?? and is that building a school...the very large block of flats in the background look to me to be inkerman house newtown..

FARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 021.JPGalso this one...think that we have the lucas factory on the right...would this have been taken on the corner with maybe wheeler st ??

Lyn
St Mathias school was in Wheeler St , as marked in red below

map_c_1951_showing_St_Mathias_school.jpg

KLyn
Could thwe first of the two photos be of the mission room behing St Mathias church on the map, and the second be next to it of the back of the school?

Picture #226 that's where I was first stopped by a policeman. He ticked me off for not looking both ways before I crossed the road. I have been a good boy ever since.

Picture #226 that's where I was first stopped by a policeman. He ticked me off for not looking both ways before I crossed the road. I have been a good boy ever since.

michael we only have your word for that lol....can you tell us where it was exactly and what the bulding was?? i can see its on a corner with farm st but whats the other st...could you also check out the pic on post 227

thanks michael..

hi paul..will have to wait for wendy to see the pic...

lyn

Back