• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

DUNKIRK

This may be a silly question, but I shall ask it anyway:)

When the men who escaped from the beaches at Dunkirk got back to blighty, was a record made of their names and units. I am clutching at straws here, because the powers that be have lost my old dad's army records.

Barrie.

Barrie - my fathers inclusion at Dunkirk is vaguely mentioned on his war records. Mabz:)

Last edited:
Mayfield, thats my problem, they have lost my dad's documents. He tried to get an army pension in the 1960's, his papers were sent from Hayes to Glasgow, when Glasgow returned them to Hayes, they got lost. :'(

My second job after leaving school was on the Co-Op milk as an assistant to a man who was reputed to have been an R.S.M. stranded with his men on the beach at Dunkirk. His name was Jack Blakmoore, not sure of the spelling. He was always looked upon as being miserable and surly but he was a really nice man to those who knew him. When the film was released, a man on the round said "you ought to see that film Jack, its very good". Jack went absolutely wild. His outburst went along the lines of, "if you had been there and seen your comrades getting killed as I did, you wouldnt want to see the bloody film".

The retreat from Dunkirk

The British Expeditionary Force was not beaten back to Dunkirk, nor did it disintegrate into disorganised, demoralised groups. British soldiers do not become demoralised, but they are often puzzled! And there was not "complete chaos" on the beaches. As aerial photographs have shown, the discipline there, amid constant bombing and shelling, was remarkably good.

The B.E.F`s task had been to defend a 50 miles section of the France - Belgium frontier, with French armies on either side of us. On May 12th, 1940, the Germans, with a mighty force of 2000 tanks, broke through the French lines on our right, crossed the Meuse at Sedan, and swept on through French rear formations reaching Abberville on May 21st, thereby cutting the B.E.F`s lines of communication and its means of supply of food, ammunition, petrol, etcetera, without which no army could fight. The enemy captured Boulogne and Calais after heroic British resistance, and General Lord Gore,VC,. ( our Commander in Chief) realised that the only way to save our army was to evacuate it from Dunkirk.

Admiral Ramsey, Flag Officer, Dover, had been assembling a fleet of over 600 assorted civilian "little ships" which he sent to assist the Royal Navy in the evacuation. These unarmed vessels, manned by Royal Navy personnel and often by their owners, carried thousands of men back to England, often returning to pick up more, as well as ferrying from the beaches to the bigger ships; but the great bulk of the evacuated were carried in Royal Navy ships.

My own experiences were typical. I had previously been swooped on personally by a Messerschmitt, had jumped into a ditch, but a cow had been there recently and left a visiting card, so I was thereafter "persona non-gratia" with my comrades!

I was two or three days on the beaches, but at last, having assisted in destroying or our own equipment - including, sadly, six bottles of White Horse whisky! - in the late evening of 31st May I walked with my unit along the improvised jetty the Royal Engineers had constructed at Bray Dunes, put my foot gingerly down into a boat - a yell of rage showed I`d trodden on someone's head! When the boat was full it pushed off, then we were told to get out and wade as the propeller was fouled. The Adjutant and I found an empty rowing boat and started to row out to the ships; it soon sank as it was stove in. We were picked up by a motor boat, already over full; then a shell or something landed near us and tipped the boat over - I was then up to my neck! and it was nearly dark. Luckily the sea was as calm as a mill pond. At last, after probably a couple of hours in the water we clambered on to a small fishing boat, piloted by its owner, who had responded to Admiral Ramsay`s call - what a man! And she took us out to a Thames tug where we were rammed together so tightly, standing up, that we could scarcely breathe. The tug had to wait until high tide, to avoid the German magnetic mines, and we reached Ramsgate the following day.

It was, of course, a brilliant German victory and an appalling Allied defeat, but 338226 men had been saved, including about 12,000 French, there has been fighting had heavy fighting , and the British army losses over 68,000 killed, wounded and taken prisoner; The Royal Navy lost six destroyers and many smaller ships, and many of the " little ships" never returned. The RAF had shot down more than 280 German planes with their own loss of 87.

In 1946, the late Captain "Teddy" Bloom and I and a few others tried to form a Dunkirk Veterans Association, but it did not get off the ground. Later, some people in Leeds had another attempt, and this grew to a membership of over 50,000 worldwide in 100 branches.

In retrospect, it was Dunkirk that lost Germany the war, because it suddenly brought Britain to her senses - made us realise that, with all our allies surrendered to the enemy, we alone had to carry the fight. The rest is history.

Arthur Addis,
Late Ammunition Officer,
HQ , Third Division,
The B.E.F.

A friend was at Dunkirk. He speaks of being on the beach towards the end when the majority of those who could be saved had been and the ships had gone. They were under constant aerial attack and knowing that they would be left behind he and a couple of mates saw a dingy on the shoreline. Even under attack they ran to it, in a forlorn hope to escape, only to find that it had been holed and they then had the dash back to the dunes for cover.

He was of course captured and imprisoned for the rest of the war. His trade was that of a cook and he had a fairly comfortable incarceration for he was employed in the various German cookhouse's. He learned fluent German during the time and though he did meet some dispicable Germans the remainder he got on well with.

As the end of the war approached he was in a camp in Poland and due to the advance of the Russians he and many others were part of the mass marches that took place with the Germans trying to put as much distance from the advancing Russians. Both the Germans and the prisoners pillaged the fields, along their route, for vegetables or roots. Their main danger was being attacked by allied aircraft for they were deemed to be columns of Germans. He said they lost a lot the prisoners due to this.
Will.

My Uncle Cpl William George Rooker served with the Royal Sussex Regiment was a front rear guard killed in action sometime between 10 -16th June 1940 sadly he never made it back to the beaches and was deserted. He is commemorated at Adegem War Cemetery Belgium. He was 28years old. He is also remembered at St Patricks Church, Earlswood on the wooden placque inside the church. I am very proud of him.

Hi all,

I wrote this with inspiration from a Dunkirk Veteran, who was one of those with his regiment that remained on the beach. He described a moment at dawn when the early morning light fell upon the spilt oil coming in on the waves,appearing as - he described it as ethereal light upon the fallen bodies - a eerie quietness had fallen. Then all was shattered with the resumption of fighting.

Thanks for sharing stories on this one,

Jan Hedger

Last edited by a moderator:
We have found a relative who was captured at Dunkirk, he went all through the marches and camps in Poland. Sadly he was killed by the RAF who mistook British troops for retreating Germans at the end of the war.
Although only a great uncle we have tried to find out as much as we can about him, one day we would like to go to lay flowers at the memorial.
Joseph Wright 4909187 still remembered.
Adele

Adele have a look on ''CWGC'' just google it and put the name you are looking for in the search box best of luck

Linda

Linda
Many thanks for that, we knew Joseph was on the Dunkirk memorial but now we know what row his name is on.
One day we will go visit lay some flowers and no doubt have agood cry and find time to refect on how many brave men lost there lives.
Adele

hi all
my uncle ernie stacey gunner RA was evacuated from Dunkirk eventually had 2 ships sunk under him , my dad said he was in a dreadful way when he got home, years later when I was small child I was walking through Maidenhead berks when a passing motor cycle backfired and uncle ern dived behind a bus shelter it took ages for dad to get him out and he was still shaking when the bus came some 20 mins later, he would never talk about it though, except to say how brave the navy sailors were.
paul stacey

My Brother was at Dunkirk in the 8th Royal Warwicks. He had about 3 months in this country afterwards and was then sent to India and on to Burma, He was never the same man again, in 44 I went into the army and abroad so we did not meet up again until late 47. Geff

there was a piece in the Sunday Express to-day about the 2nd Warks, and the RA and Royal Welsh the rear guard which was systematicly murdered by the Waffen SS in the barn near Dunkirk. Not much is remembered about the bravery and self sacrifice of the BEF rear guard action at Dunkirk it was because of these brave boys that so many escaped from the beaches.
paul

Hi all ;o)

I ordered my dads war records a while back and keep trying to decipher them bit by bit.
It's a bit of a jigsaw. The details on there tell you where he was posted as in FRANCE etc.. but not where in France and what he was doing there. Through bits of research and many asked questions over the net i'm slowly piecing together his actions and theatres of war.
If i'm right with research so far, he was part of the BEF with the 2nd Battalion Royal Warwicks, which were in or around Wormhout. If this was the case would the survivors names be held anywhere public ?..
He was part of the retreat back to Dunkirk and their Battalion along with others was to keep the main supply route open back to Dunkirk.
I hadn't realised that he was part of this battle. Reading about it, and what the SS did on that day to the men in the shed is devastating. I don't know much about my dad as he died when i was young, but the more i find out the more proud of him i am, and the more fascinated i become. How anyone got back alive is incredible. He would have only been 21 while this battle was happening.

I know that later on he was part of the D-Day landings at Queen Beach(sword beach).... Then went on to Korea in 51 with the Glosters.

Brave, Brave man, and men.
Regards
rachel.. ;o)

My father was a lieutenant with the Royal Warwicks based in northern France as part of Vickforce charged with holding a line along the River Bethune south of Dieppe. This they did between 19th May and 8th June 1940, some five days after the completion of the Dunkirk evacuation. They then withdrew westward and up the Cotentin peninsula and caught the last boat home on 19th June. I wonder whether your father was on the same boat John?

My father Albert Haylor was at Dunkirk, He enlisted in Birmingham in the R.A.O.C. in 1939. I have some letters he wrote to my mother in May 1940 from France, and he was still there after Dunkirk was liberated as I have a letter dated 7th. June, and also one dated 12th. June 1940 from France. the next letter is dated 20th. June to say he had landed at Plymouth the day before at 6pm, and he was lucky to do so as the boat he should have been on was blown up, I have often wondered if this could have been the Lancastria at St. Nazaire, but I only found these things out after both he and mom had died, as he very rarely spoke about his experiances in the war, allthough later he was a desert rat under Monty in Egypt, Sicily, and Italy, and went back to France with the Normandy landings, finishing in Germany.

Rachel, for more information you could contact/visit the Royal Warwickshire Regimental Museum in Warwick.

Hi all ;o)

I ordered my dads war records a while back and keep trying to decipher them bit by bit.
It's a bit of a jigsaw. The details on there tell you where he was posted as in FRANCE etc.. but not where in France and what he was doing there. Through bits of research and many asked questions over the net i'm slowly piecing together his actions and theatres of war.
If i'm right with research so far, he was part of the BEF with the 2nd Battalion Royal Warwicks, which were in or around Wormhout. If this was the case would the survivors names be held anywhere public ?..
He was part of the retreat back to Dunkirk and their Battalion along with others was to keep the main supply route open back to Dunkirk.
I hadn't realised that he was part of this battle. Reading about it, and what the SS did on that day to the men in the shed is devastating. I don't know much about my dad as he died when i was young, but the more i find out the more proud of him i am, and the more fascinated i become. How anyone got back alive is incredible. He would have only been 21 while this battle was happening.

I know that later on he was part of the D-Day landings at Queen Beach(sword beach).... Then went on to Korea in 51 with the Glosters.

Brave, Brave man, and men.
Regards
rachel.. ;o)

Hello Robert.
Its interesting what you say about your father. all I know about my fathers escape from France is he landed at Plymouth on the 19th. of June at 6pm and the boat he should have been on was bombed and blew up which I have wondered if it could have been the Lancastria at St. Nazaire on the 17th.of June. as ships from there went to Plymouth amongst other ports here, do you know where your father landed.

Probably was the Lancastria as she sank on 178th June. As far as I know my father was on the last boat out of Cherbourg on 19th June, my research suggests the boat sailed at 4.00pm. I don't know where they landed. Portsmouth would have been nearest but as he ended up at a camp in Yelverton it could have been Plymouth.

Hello Robert.
Its interesting what you say about your father. all I know about my fathers escape from France is he landed at Plymouth on the 19th. of June at 6pm and the boat he should have been on was bombed and blew up which I have wondered if it could have been the Lancastria at St. Nazaire on the 17th.of June. as ships from there went to Plymouth amongst other ports here, do you know where your father landed.

Hi. Robert. Shouldnt think it was the same boat then, as Dad landed in Plymouth at 6pm, very interesting though, thankyou for your interest.

My dear Uncle Ernie, my dads eldest brother was in the Gunners and had walked for 5 days to get too Dunkirk, he had 3 ships bombed out from under him and eventually got away on one of the small boats, he suffered all his life from bad nerves and died aged 61 from Lukiemia, dad always reconed because of his terrible experiences.
paul

Paul, I'm told that my father suffered nightmares for some number of years after the war. He died young, aged 41, of Leukaemia. I've often wondered whether the stress of his war experience was a contributory factor.

I would not be at all suprised Robert, and now as well as then the mlitary took no interest what so ever in the fate of these young men who literalley gave there all on the actual battlefield, or suffered a lifetime of pain and mental anguish to eventually die from deseases which were directly attributed to their military service. It is a national disgrace that unlike France, Germany, USA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, we have no veterans hospitals, retirment homes, holiday homes, or full social network scheme spessificaly designed around the military.
paul

View attachment 60497Hi All
I was wondering if any one knows what could have happened to my uncle, private Harold Leslie WEBB, 5111390, 8th Bn, Royal Warwickshire Regiment.
He died of his wounds between the 19th and 21st May 1940 defending the retreat of the B.E.F. at Dunkirk. Apparently he’s mentioned on the Dunkirk Memorial (column 41) at Dunkirk Cemetery but there isn’t a grave for him, why? If he died of his wounds then he was probably hospitalized but there is no record of a grave.
Also killed was his brother-in-law, private Frank TRANTER, 5111380, 8th Bn, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Who died on the 21st May 1940 and has a grave at the CALONNE Communal Cemetery.
According to the Royal Warwickshire Regiment Museum they were probably in the same engagement attempting to hold the line of the Scheldt.
They both signed-up, as brothers in arms, on the same day 8th May 1930 before war was declared.
See attached photo Harold WEBB is second from the left. I don't know who the others are.
Phil
View attachment 60497

great photo phil all young lads proud to be in uniform, it may be that your relative was seen being killed by sustanciated information and no body recovered, or which could be more likely that he was buried in the rapid advance of the battle and the grave lost with the mellee of war.
paul

Hi Paul
Thanks for the reply. Your reasoning could be true.
I went to the Royal Warwickshire Regiment Museum in the summer, where I got most of my information from, and they gave as one possible explanation that he could have been in a hospital, and was later captured by German forces, died subsequently and then buried by them.
I was hoping some BHF member might know of someone or some other organisation that could give me a definitive answer, perhaps an ex-soldier.
It's gnawing away at me not knowing.
Phil

Quite true phil I know what it means never knowing,My dads first cousin who he worshiped brewed up in France with the 2nd Grenedier Guards amoured div, and was buried at Lille, I found all this out long after my dad passed away due to the computor age he mourned that chap for 60 yrs.
regards
paul

My Dad told me that,although he had shrapnel in his head, he and another soldier carried their Sergeant between them for two days to get to Dunkirk .They waited three days to get on a boat.When they did finally make it the boat was sunk by aerial fire within half an hour and they had to retreat back to the beach.They finally made it to England the next day and Dad was taken to a hospital in Kent.
After recuperating he then joined up with Monty in Egypt where he spent the rest of the war.He was in the Royal Artillery and died last year aged 97.

For Brum Burgin:

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Back