• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

DUNKIRK

I read an article on this forum about a week ago, saying how the french soldiers rescued at Dunkirk went back to France to become prisoners of war. I have researched WW2 for too many years and this article really set me thinking did it or did it not happen? Did the french pull their weight in the defense of Dunkirk?
I came across this article on youtube, it describes in detail the actual fighting to defend Dunkirk, the casulties the allied suffered and the casulties the french suffered in the defense. The French who went back to France did so to defend Brest and Cherbourg against the Germans. I remember reading a quote about this battle from Churchill " The French defense at Dunkirk could be compared to the spartans at Thermopylae". Please look at the sites below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6C5P-AYGdY

This article might stimulate your interest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZa7r5WLkYo

i have recently aquired my late fathers service file and noted that he would have been one of the last number of troops leaving on June 1st .I found the article on the evacuation very interesting and very moving and I only wished we had heard about this from my father but they were very brave and dignified men who only felt they were doing there duty .He was in the 68th Field Regiment Royal Artillery and one of the first BEF to go into action.
I feel very proud of him and shall continue to research so as to pass on this information to my three sons and two grandsons so that they will never forget the sacrifice of all the forces so they could lead a life of freedom.

i have recently aquired my late fathers service file and noted that he would have been one of the last number of troops leaving on June 1st .I found the article on the evacuation very interesting and very moving and I only wished we had heard about this from my father but they were very brave and dignified men who only felt they were doing there duty .He was in the 68th Field Regiment Royal Artillery and one of the first BEF to go into action.
I feel very proud of him and shall continue to research so as to pass on this information to my three sons and two grandsons so that they will never forget the sacrifice of all the forces so they could lead a life of freedom.

well said reuben...not one single man or woman who fought for freedom should ever be forgotton and quite rightly you should feel so proud of your dad....

lyn

A very moving account of that operation Cromwell. Thank you.
my late uncle was captured at dunkirk age 18 only been the army about 6 mths he was in the regard action , allowing the troops to get of the beaches , when it was there turn to get on the beach , the ships had gone, they just waited to be taken prisoner he spent the war in a pow camp in poland

My Granddad was at Dunkirk, he was lifted June 1st. Like one or two others I’ve read on here he was in the Royal Artillery. Until two years ago I was fortunate enough to be a guide at Dover Castle. It was there in the underground tunnels that Operation Dynamo (the rescue from Dunkirk) was coordinated. Whenever I took groups on that tour I felt I was also telling his story.

Back