• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

DUNKIRK

very moving . iv just discovered birmingham history site and it just gets better and better

Anyone who has/had relatives who were at Dunkirk,should read the above mentioned book to see how our heroic troops fought to keep the corridor to Dunkirk open. there is mention of the regiments,& names of some of the men The Royal Warwickshire Regt is well mentioned espcially their Horrific capture at Wormout,and the treatment by the SS.Leibstandarte Rgt.who were taking no prisoners

Dennis, they were all heroes, as are todays servicemen/women. The men who did what they could with their little boats were also heroes. Anyone who is able bodied can join the services these days and yet we are short of service personel. Whatever would happen if we needed mass enlistment now as we did for WW2. So many would be unable because of drugs and drink. I suppose all the tough gang members would find an excuse. You know Dennis, all these people were so brave and they did it all for the future of family, friends, king and country. When I see todays MPs. looking sad, facing the Cenotaph hypocrasy springs to mind. I have taught my lad to always do a favour for a person in military uniform and I still have two stepbrothers, both almost ninety now who talk to him so he knows what it was like.

im tryin to find out what regiment my granpa was in . i know he was captured at dunkirk and came from birmingham . thanx

Hello Sally, if you post your granpa's name and any other details I am sure someone will help. Sometimes replies to these queries can take a while though.

brueton he was a captain i think and probably in a warwickshire regiment

his father was killed in first war maybe at somme also probably in a warwickshire regiment

sallyb, I am sorry I am not able to help you because I wouldnt know how to start looking. I have my dads WW2 army number and his pay/pension number. I also have Mom & Dads marriage lines and When I have done one or two other things I will ask for some to help me. Good luck and I know someone on here will help you.

thanx . id just like to say again how great this birmingham history forum is and how friendly and helpful the people of birmingham are . we dont have anything like this in west yorkshre , wish we did . i love reading about the soldeirs storys and peoples memorys . love sally x

There is a WW1 medal card for a 'P. Brueton' which has on it 'K in A' (killed in action), the fact that he fought in France from and after 2/5/1915 (the battle of the Somme was late 1916) and a regimental number in the 'R War R' (Royal Warwickshire Regiment) of 4000. [It was the only 'K in A' I saw among the Bruetons.]

It is also inscribed 'correct initial T' and 'see Theaphilas Brueton identical'.

Theaphilas Brueton's card gives the same regiment and number, and by comparison the medal issues were registered on identical rolls and pages.

Therefore, it might be assumed that this Theaphilas (or Theophilus) Brueton was your Great Grandfather - the only minus point is that the rank stated is Private, not Captain.

Without more detail it is not possible to prove one way or the other.

oh thank you so much, i have found the name theophilus brueton before . i v never been to birmingham and coming on this site really helps me to feel closer to my granpas family thanks again love sally x

What a lovely photo. You are lucky to have one of your grandpa as a child.

thanx wendy , i love this photo i think hes holding a pistol in his right hand and dressed in a majors uniform though not sure . my granpa was captured at dunkirk and escaped back to england . i think his father theophulus lived at little shadewll st .

Sally,Theophilus Brueton (Private) died 12/10/1916 age 26
his grave is at the Thiepval Memorial in Northern France.
his details state wife Isabella Isetta?,address 3/194 Bloomsbury Street
Theophilus was born 1890 June 6d 291
Isabella was Isabella Rosetta Derrington whom he married in 1912

I have visited Thiepval and it is the most serene place I have ever
visited. The surroundings are so beautiful,so peaceful,the birdsong so clear. Over 70,000 soldiers are remembered there,those who were found are buried there,those who were missing have their names inscribed on the huge piers holding the Memorial.
The site is so well cared for by the CWGC.

thanks alberta , iv found out so much i didnt know and your discription of thiepval is lovely . 70 000 soldiers it really makes you think. thanx again x

thanks to alberta i have found out so much about my granps family and its been very moving for me
. ilove the photo of my granpa and it means so much more now . what a brave little man . lots of love sally xxx

This may be a silly question, but I shall ask it anyway:)

When the men who escaped from the beaches at Dunkirk got back to blighty, was a record made of their names and units. I am clutching at straws here, because the powers that be have lost my old dad's army records.

Barrie.

Back