• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

DUNKIRK

O

O.C.

Every time I hear of Dunkirk my eyes water as I remember those brave dear men that never came back.
Those brave Brave men that gave their lives so others could escape to freedom so they could fight again
Heroes to the end.............
In the days between May 27th and June 3rd 1940 watchers on the Kentish coast saw strange activity in the Channel.
Making their way towards France were destroyers and other units of the Royal Navy, merchant vessels, large and small, plodding colliers and coastal tramps, fishing vessels, their decks still spattered with gleaming scales, paddle steamers that once gave thousands of holiday-makers in paper hats a brief taste of life afloat, a London Fire Brigade float, yachts ranging from the playthings of millionaires to humble week-ender frail dinghies towed by motor launch.
They came back, did most of the 2,000 vessels of this motley armada with their decks crammed with unshaven, weary men of the British Expeditionary Force and French an Belgian armies, 335,000 of them snatched from the closing jaws of the rapidly advancing Nazi armies.
Behind this lay an almost incredible story of heroism and resource.
With the collapse of organized Belgian resistance, Lord Gort had ordered a retreat of the B.E.F. towards Dunkirk. The road to Amiens and the south was blocked by enemy units.
General Weygand, who had assumed command of the French armies, planned, in the words of Mr. Churchill, for the French and British troops in Belgium "To keep on holding the right hand of the Belgians and to give their own right hand to the newly created French army, which was to have advanced across the Somme in great strength to grasp it."
This plan did not materialize. Shattered by tanks and dive-bombers, the Belgian army had virtually ceased to exist as a fighting force, communications between the French and British in Belgium and the main French forces were beyond all possible repair.
The French massed to defend a hastily constructed line running south of the Somme and the Aisne and linking up with the Maginot Line.
For the troops in Belgium only a faint hope of rescue by sea remained.
Never did the time factor assume so much importance.
Four thousand men of the Queen Victoria Rifles, the Rifle Brigade, the 60th Rifles, a Battalion of British tanks, and one thousand Frenchmen pushed their way into Calais in a desperate attempt to win a few hours for their brother's in the north
They fought with cold, reasoned bravery, pitting their lives against the infuriated hammer blows rained upon them by the enemy, while the hands of the clock marked each minute and hour so hardly won. Tanks were turned into fortresses, rifles used against Tommy guns. Only 30 survivors of the gallant 4,000 were eventually taken off by the Royal Navy on May 26th 1940
Meanwhile hell raged on the sand dunes and pier of the port of Dunkirk, so familiar to tourists in the trouble free days of peace. Dog-tired troops continued to pile up. They were battered continually by the German artillery as it crept remorselessly forward, their eardrums ceaselessly assailed by the wail of diving German planes and the whistle and explosion of bombs.
The Royal Air Force, outnumbered but never outfought, flung everything they had into the sky. The pilots, red eyed from lack of sleep, grimy, and in many cases wounded, were in action as many as sixteen hours each day. One squadron of 12 two seater all-metal Defiants accounted for fifty enemy aircraft in three days.
Yet British planes were pitifully few compared with the seemingly inexhaustible resources of the Luftwaffe.
Some of the patiently waiting men on the beaches saw nothing but swarms of Nazi aircraft. "Where is the R.A.F.?" they asked. The answer was that. the R.A.F. had to make the best of scanty reserves. Not only were many enemy machines intercepted and prevented from ever reaching Dunkirk, but the German army was impeded by the constant, daring, low-level attacks made upon gun emplacements, troop columns and rear positions.
As the battle, openly heralded in Berlin as one of extermination, was reaching its climax, the evacuation was being planned by grave-faced men in a small room let into the cliffs of Dover.
At first it seemed merely a question of rescuing a small percentage. Churchill warned an awed House of Commons "to prepare itself for hard and heavy tidings." The German High Command felt confident enough to announce: "The ring about the British, French, and Belgian armies is closed for ever"
They forgot Britain's traditional ally the sea.
From Whitehall the call went out for ships and the men to man them. It was heard in the offices of shipping lines and trawling companies, in clubs and factories, it echoed through the narrow streets of ports and small fishing towns. The men and the ships were forthcoming. Red tape was cut as only democracy can cut it in emergency.
It is now no secret that expert opinion budgeted for at most 30,000 men to be taken off. The difficulties which had to be faced were frankly incredible. One factor, was in favour of the rescuers a sudden calm descended on the Channel, enabling operations to be carried out that would have been impossible in rough weather.
No attempt was made by the Germans to cut off the British forces by sea otherwise than by mines and shore batteries the main route had to be altered three times because of these and by air attack.
Dunkirk is set in a coastline riddled by shoals, sandbanks and narrow passages, hazards, that were increased as most of the rescue work had to be done at night. Moreover, owing to the shallow water, ships larger than destroyers were prevented from reaching the pier.
The scene was unforgettable. Against an inferno of bursting high explosive, Troops waded out to small boats crafts that carried them to the waiting rescue vessels. It was a nightmare for the wounded. Rescue parties of stout hearted and strong-backed sailors carried them on board. The devil chorus of guns, bullets, and bombs grew greater every passing hour. The reverberations could be heard from the English coast, where watchers strained their eyes to catch each ominous flash on the horizon.
Then the news broke to the World...... 335,000 men rescued, British casualties throughout the campaign, "exceeding 30,000 killed, missing and wounded."
At south-eastern ports the whole population turned out to welcome back the men from Dunkirk. The Churches, the Salvation Army, the W.V.S. and many others.........................................
organizations had piles of food and hot tea ready. There were gifts of cigarettes and of chocolate. Crowds cheered, them off from railway stations. Union Jacks fluttered, together with hastily improvised banners bearing words like "Bravo, B.E.F," and "Welcome Home" Weary as they were, many of the men contrived a cheery smile and an exchange of cheerful banter as they saw their welcome.  The free world hailed the evacuation as a victory for freedom. And victory, it was, compared with the disaster which had been so narrowly averted.
Typical was a comment in the New York Times, "So long as the English tongue survives, the word Dunkerque will be spoken with reverence. For in that harbour, in such a hell as never blazed on earth before, at the end of a lost battle, the rags and blemishes that have hidden the soul of democracy fell away. There, beaten but unconquered, in shining splendour, she faced the enemy."

Yes thank you Cromwell, we should never forget all the men who lost their lives at Dunkirk.   My Mom`s first husband was in the RAF during WW2 and was killed whilst flying over Dunkirk.  His body was never found, they were only married 3 months.  So sad.
But then Mom met my Dad and had a happy marriage till we lost her in 1984.

Those brave boys in the RAF who flew the Spitfires to help our soldiers knew they had a less than 1 in 10 chance of returning. I have a photo of a soldier on the beach firing at a Stuka as his friends are dying around him as our small boat came in to pick them of the beaches, ordinary men not in the forces risking life and limb to save fellow man.........

My stepfather was captured at Dunkirk and as a prisoner of war was marched to Poland to a POW camp where he was to stay until liberated by the Americans.
Tom never spoke of his experiences the exception being at a family celebration and with too much ale passing his lips (He was normally a moderate drinker) he spoke of his time at the camp and the things that had seen.
How did men returning from war, manage to settle down to what we call a normal life with the memories of the horrors they had seen still in their
heads.
Maggie

Maggie, the human mind is a remarkable thing.. everyday firemen cut bodies from cars and have to go home at the end of the day……Surgeons struggle to keep a patient alive searching for answers in the opened bodies they are trying to save …and at the end of the day go home and switch off ……some can do it others cannot…..the same applied to war …..some cracked others did not ….but it did not mean that one man was better or braver than the rest……ordinary folk were subjected to scenes that they would not voluntary see but they had no choice …..some can talk about it …..others could not …..My father saw his mates head get blowed off in the Great War but that was the least of his horrors which I could not begin to tell you about …..
They came home and tried to live a normal life ….but some could ….but others could not ….it was all so tragic made worse by the fact ….other folk could not understand what had gone on…..5 people up our yard took their own life but thousands more plodded on, and lived with their nightmares…..some talked, but most remained silent about what they had seen till the day they died

Hi Cromwell,
I have just read your description of the battle of Dunkirk. I would describe it as marvelous, if it were not such a serious subject. It is very moving indeed. Thanks for taking the time to remind us all of the British people's suffering and bravery during those dark days in 1940

My Grandfather was at Dunkirk from what my mom told me he eventually died in Eastbourne, my Nan very rarely talked about him except to say he was a very loving and caring man, my mom was only five when he died.

I do have a letter from the Padre that was with him when he died that was sent to my nan.

All I can say Lynn - is I am glad the padre was with your grandfather when he died.

What calm courage the padre displays consoling those in need of aid and in quiet prayer and tearful goodbyes brings comfort and love to those who die - Gives blessings to the weary left behind - the soldiers know that he is kind . . .

World War II was raging. Hitler’s army had overtaken Belgium and advanced into France. Britain sent over 300,000 troops to assist the French army, but in spite of those sizable numbers, the German force was winning. . Britain had already suffered severe casualties in France, and they knew this battle could not be won. Retreat was the only option, but all escape routes had been blocked.

Vice Admiral Bertram Ramsay, was put in charge of evacuating the troops. The rescue plan was code-named Operation Dynamo. Time was running out for the cornered British troops. Soldiers crowded onto the beaches were being shelled mercilessly.

An exodus by sea was the only possibility, but German planes had sunk so many ships in Dunkirk harbour so U-boats posed a constant threat and Britain had far too few vessels available to transport the hundreds of thousands of soldiers trapped, even under the best conditions.

However, Ramsay was very methodical in his planning. He arranged transportation, food, and medical care for the troops that would soon be arriving in Dover. He sought out every available ship so it was on May 26. Operation Dynamo was put into motion

Ramsay put out a public call for help - everyone with a boat—any kind of boat—was asked to help rescue the troops. The response was instantaneous and overwhelming. A makeshift flotilla of 850 ‘Little Ships’- yachts, lifeboats, fishing boats, and anything else that could float rushed to the scene. Most of the boats were manned by British sailors, but in many cases the civilian owners themselves risked gunfire and mines to make the 22-mile crossing. It is said that nine days after Operation Dynamo began, a total of 338,226 people—including about 95,000 French troops—had been rescued.

Churchill called it a ‘miracle’ that quickly became the stuff of legends.

However looking in retrospect, the massive rescue even with all that heroism could hardly be called a victory. Beaches littered with dead bodies so many men had lost their lives –

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Nick - that was something I didn't know - I suppose Churchill needed to use Dunkirk as a morale booster - when in his famous speech 'We Shall Fight on the Beaches. . . he vows his forces 'shall never surrender'. . .

In a doomed, fateful attack on Dunkirk, May 26, 1940, some 300,000 Allied troops were quickly evacuated when swarms of rapidly advancing Germans stormed the area. In the process, vast stores of an entire British Army were either destroyed or abandoned to the enemy. British weapons, bolstered and stockpiled before the outbreak of World War II, were now dangerously grinding down. No longer could British production lines meet the unexpected increased demands. For one thing, and not the least thereof, the growing frequency of air raids with its necessary blackout conditions constantly interrupted and slowed the manufacture of desperately needed arms and munitions.

The growing tempo of the German offensive from the air daily constituted a very real threat to Britain’s ....nals and converted war plants. At the time, one such place was in Woolwich, a metropolitan borough of London – a continuous wrinkle in the brow for the Defense Department. Here was located one of England’s most productive ....nals (in the early stages of the bombing, the Woolwich ....nal had already been struck once, but damage was minimal). Although surrounded by acres of anti-aircraft weapons, and the new system of radar detection, there was always an excellent chance that enemy bombers would eventually destroy it.

Of course if this were to happen, the survival of the whole of the United Kingdom would at once be in serious jeopardy, stiff British-upper-lips, high morale and firm resolve notwithstanding.

To be sure, and probably Britain’s main saving-grace in those early days of the war was Hitler’s preoccupation with assembling the greatest part of his armies for an invasion (on June 22, 1941) of Russia – a more formidable foe than England.

Nevertheless, by late 1940, Britain stood very much alone against the German’s fierce air onslaught. The Brits needed help!

In one of his numerous famous speeches, Winston Churchill made an urgent appeal to all of England’s friendly allies, for ‘tools.’ The United States (which remained neutral and would not, as a nation, enter the fray until the end of 1941) responded immediately. To help save England from imminent, total collapse, Congress, in early 1941, approved aid in the form of a Lend-Lease programme. Very soon, tons of military “tools,” in the holds of a dozen disguised British merchant ships, slipped out from a quiet bay in the state of New Jersey to begin the hazardous return trip to the ....nals of the British Isles. Of course, British Commonwealth countries, Australia, New Zealand and Canada, responded in kind. . .

My father Albert Haylor was at Dunkirk, He enlisted in Birmingham in the R.A.O.C. in 1939. I have some letters he wrote to my mother in May 1940 from France, and he was still there after Dunkirk was liberated as I have a letter dated 7th. June, and also one dated 12th. June 1940 from France. the next letter is dated 20th. June to say he had landed at Plymouth the day before at 6pm, and he was lucky to do so as the boat he should have been on was blown up, I have often wondered if this could have been the Lancastria at St. Nazaire, but I only found these things out after both he and mom had died, as he very rarely spoke about his experiances in the war, allthough later he was a desert rat under Monty in Egypt, Sicily, and Italy, and went back to France with the Normandy landings, finishing in Germany.

Last edited:
John all I can say is you must be very proud of your father - and so you should be - A survivor of Dunkirk - then to be part of what I believe was the Seventh Armoured Division, a group of British soldiers who helped defeat the Germans in North Africa during World War II. . .

The Desert Rats, were especially noted for a hard-fought, three-month campaign against the more experienced German Afrika Korps, led by General Erwin Rommel ('The Desert Fox').

Last edited by a moderator:
Brings back memories of my brother coming back form Dunkirk, he was in the Royal Warwicks. He was never the same young man afterwards, even so they then sent him to Burma till the the end of the Jap war. He never married and lived a lonely life after our parents died.
GEFF

my dad was in that lot: lucky to escape with his life.
he was bombed shelled shot at,i,ve a diary in a grand cut tobaco tin,
which has from when he left work at bywaters the butchers in small heath,all the way through 1940 where he went, what he got up to.and getting out of dunkirk by the seat of his pants,on a distroyer the hms malcolm,and back accross the channel.
it must have been so so scarey, it was never spoken of but i would have been to young to understand.
but i,ve that bit of history in print and he lived to tell the tale so to speak.
my personal thanks goes out to the lads and lasses who did what they had to do..
regards to all for input,, dereklcg

Ramsay put out a public call for help - everyone with a boat—any kind of boat—was asked to help rescue the troops. The response was instantaneous and overwhelming. A makeshift flotilla of 850 ‘Little Ships’- yachts, lifeboats, fishing boats, and anything else that could float rushed to the scene. Most of the boats were manned by British sailors, but in many cases the civilian owners themselves risked gunfire and mines to make the 22-mile crossing. It is said that nine days after Operation Dynamo began, a total of 338,226 people—including about 95,000 French troops—had been rescued.

Sorry Beryl but this is repeating the myth of the heroic 'little ships' that saved the BEF at Dunkirk. The reality was different as the crucial role of the little ships was ferrying men off the beaches onto the 'big ships' offshore including RN warships and ferries. Yes they were important and brave but the little ships made good propaganda too - British pluck and all that. Greater heroes for me were those who held the German attack into the corridor and then the Dunkirk perimeter - many losing their lives in the process and many more ending up as POWs. There were no war correspondents in Dunkirk at the time. They wrote from south-east ports and lots of myths were created.

The problem with Cromwell's account is that it smacks of the contemporary view led by Churchill that Dunkirk was a miracle and a triumph when in fact it was a total disaster. That view is understandable in terms of national morale.

There is no acknowledgement of the plentiful examples of the breakdown in morale and indiscipline in Dunkirk or the man who unwittingly assisted the evacuation. If Hitler had not reined in the Panzer divisions three times between May 20-30 there would have been no evacuation.

My dad was in the 14th.Army and was rescued from the beach at Dunkirk.
He told us that he'd waded up to his waist in sea water for three days hoping and waiting to be taken off. He had two friends with him but they were shot in front of him.

He also served in Burma (the 14th. was the 'Forgotten Army') and was a member of the Burma Star Association.
The Chairman and some of the members came to his funeral and gave him a wonderful oration standing to attention with the Union flag.
They also draped his coffin with the flag. A while back I'd made him a cushion of his badge, and when he died I donated it to the Assoc. who auctioned it off at their Christmas Reunion dinner.
The winner decided to keep it on display at the venue used for their meetings, and the proceeds went towards their fund to benefit needy members.

The chairman wrote to me afterwards, he said it had raised £406.00 and that the winner had decided to have a deep wooden frame made so that it could be displayed upon the bar wall of the public-house that they use for their meetings twice monthly.
It's the 'Turk's Head' in Lancaster Street, (near the old Fire-Station).

Unfortunately my Dad died of a broken heart last September, just 22 days after my Mom had died, so I can't find out any more from him.
Towards the end of his life he couldn't remember the name of the small boat that had picked him up, and I had never thought to ask him years ago when I was at home and he may have remembered more clearly.

I don't live too far along the coast from Shoreham where some of the small boats that were used to evacuate soldiers are moored.
Most are now being lived on as houseboats, but they are all owned by someone or other.

My Cousin served in Burma with the Chindits died there 1944 buried India Commonwealth Cemetery

Wizard, you must be very proud of your late father, how kind of you to donate the Burma Star cushion that you had embroidered so lovingly for your dad. A tribute that will long be remembered at the Association's Headquarters. Well done.

My farther also served at Dunkirk. He was shot in his left leg but the bullet went straight through into his right leg as well he was found on the beach at Dunkirk and taken to a French hospital.

He suffered then with bad legs all his life, I remember he had to wear a spring attached to his shoe that fastened with a leather collar on his knee to enable his foot to lift when he walked. I wonder, what technolgy they would use today for that kind of injury?

There must have been so many brave souls who were wounded, yet lived on to tell the stories.
My dad was wounded twice and carried shrapnel in his body to the end. They couldn't remove it.

My mom was in the Army too, that's where they met, I'm sure they were both much braver than I could ever have hoped to be.

Wizard. A lovely and moving story of your parents. They must have been extremely close soul mates, you must be very proud of them, but for you and your family so tragic that they went so close together. The cushion is a wonderful and permanent momento of your father's life.

Thank you. :)

On their wedding anniversary in April, my brother, two sisters and I will take their ashes up onto the Sussex Downs (overlooking the Channel),
so that they can look out to sea and feel as free as the birds forever.

You must be so proud of your father and how brave he was, I am going to a 60 birthday party at the turks head next month I look forward to seeing your burma star on the wall, my brother in law is the landlord there.

What a coincidence we have between us, Tomb Raider and the Turks Head. :)

The other evening we had a drive over to Shoreham because I wanted to take a few photographs of the small ships...some aren't so small actually :)
...but I did get quite a few good pictures.
We parked the car and walked down the towpath next to the moorings. It was extremely interesting, we normally drive past them over the bridge on the way to B&Q at Hove or Brighton.

They have their own website if you are interested.
https://www.shorehamhouseboats.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page

mariew, I hope you enjoy the party next month, if you get a chance (and it's possible) would you take a picture for me please?
I'd love to see it in situ...that's if it's ready yet of course. :)

Back