• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Do We Still Have Convalscent Homes?

Old Boy

master brummie
Hi All,
I have recently been discharged after a ten day spell in hospital. Today I fell asleep over lunch. My wife woke me and said, " Remember you are still convalescent" This reminded me that twice before when I have been ill I went to convalescent homes to recover. I went to Weston with BHSF who, I believe, have now closed their homes and to Brighton with another organisation which has now closed. They were both excellent and paid a major part in my recoveries at the time. It will be such a shame if they all close.
Old Boy

I spent a fortnight in a home somewhere in Coleshill after an operation during the war, I was about 10. Never been in hospital since apart from a spell of Malaria whilst in the RAF in West Africa, that was 67 years ago. Eric

My mother in law has been living in one for the last 12 years. Mine . Only joking, love here really.

My father convalesced at Clevedon, near Bristol, after a heart operation at about 1960.

Hi guys, was the very first convelesent set up in wales by the comisist party by stevenson anf george jelf committe

I am trying to trace convalescent home from 1920s called Princess Mary centre. Rednal.
If anyone has any kind of information I would very grateful

There appear to be a handful of mentions in the newspapers of the 1920s. One from 1927 is for the sale of builders' materials (upon site late Princess Mary's Convalescent Centre) Longbridge, Rednal, Birmingham (opposite Austin Motor Works).

And the Library of Birmingham have some magazines (not sure what they would be)....

Last edited:
According to one reference it was a 400 bed centre for war disabled. There is a reference here

According to one reference it was a 400 bed centre for war disabled. There is a reference here
Thank you all,
My great,great,great grandfather was a patient there for two years. 1923/1924…. Thats all i know really and he was not in the 1st world war….

Back