• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

DISGUSTING FOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why it is called marmite, then I recall my partners pronounces it marmeet, . Un marmite (marmeet) is a stockpot in Frace and I saw a restaurant of the same name.
The word 'Marmite' is actually French for 'casserole dish'
The dish found on the logo of every jar is actually a "Marmite" – a French cooking pot. And La Marmite Dieppoise is a type of fish stew, which originated in Dieppe.

The latest addition to the brand is peaunut butter Marmite - I love marmite but hate peanut butter. So, for me this would be a love hate product lol.

La Marmite Dieppoise

No ta i have been ill once this week.i will pass on that.:grinning:

1586418731735.png
1 onion, chopped
1 leek, chopped
2 tomatoes, peeled
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 litre/ 1 ¾ pints water
40 grams/ 1 ½ oz butter
2 tablespoons crème fraiche
30 grams/ 1 oz plain flour
½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon fresh chopped fennel
Large pinch of salt
Teaspoon of fresh chopped parsley
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon mild curry powder
4 fillets of burbot (Ling or Pollock or any “cod” like white fish can be used instead. See left hand fact file)
4 fillets of turbot
4 Dublin Bay prawns (also known as langoustines)
4 large scallops
4 fillets of sole
1 litre of mussels (already cooked in the Mariniere style*)
A few cooked shell on prawns to decorate

La Marmite Dieppoise

No ta i have been ill once this week.i will pass on that.:grinning:

View attachment 143920
1 onion, chopped
1 leek, chopped
2 tomatoes, peeled
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 litre/ 1 ¾ pints water
40 grams/ 1 ½ oz butter
2 tablespoons crème fraiche
30 grams/ 1 oz plain flour
½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon fresh chopped fennel
Large pinch of salt
Teaspoon of fresh chopped parsley
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon mild curry powder
4 fillets of burbot (Ling or Pollock or any “cod” like white fish can be used instead. See left hand fact file)
4 fillets of turbot
4 Dublin Bay prawns (also known as langoustines)
4 large scallops
4 fillets of sole
1 litre of mussels (already cooked in the Mariniere style*)
A few cooked shell on prawns to decorate

No Marmite ?

The word 'Marmite' is actually French for 'casserole dish'
The dish found on the logo of every jar is actually a "Marmite" – a French cooking pot. And La Marmite Dieppoise is a type of fish stew, which originated in Dieppe.

The latest addition to the brand is peaunut butter Marmite - I love marmite but hate peanut butter. So, for me this would be a love hate product lol.
Stockpot - casserole dish, cooking pot, I am told that marmites are no longer in fashion now. They go for Le Creuset type pots now. And une casserole, as in the utensil is French for saucepan.But, I like marmite on buttered toast or bread, especially dipped in soup, or in hot water like Bovril with pepper in. Mum took it to remove intestinal blockages. I add it to my stock when making a soup or a stew. I am guessing Marmite didn't come from these shores originally then?

I hate stir fry. anything raw, Marshmallows. Tarragon. Shellfish apart from mussels and cockles , huss, offal, . Caraway seeds and hazlet. Hot sea food platters, Bluuurgh! Saying that I ate brains and they were nice, frogs legs, I felt guilty, snails, rubbery.

Just watched James Martin's cooking.If you .sometimes want disgusting food did you see that Black Squid RISOTTO messed about with hands this is the show.Bet he was glad it was done last summer or he would have been in trouble .

I hate stir fry. anything raw, Marshmallows. Tarragon. Shellfish apart from mussels and cockles , huss, offal, . Caraway seeds and hazlet. Hot sea food platters, Bluuurgh! Saying that I ate brains and they were nice, frogs legs, I felt guilty, snails, rubbery.
cockle sandwich and periwinkle sarnies. yum yum

Not sure if this is "on theme", depends upon your tastes. But on a skype conversation I mentioned Coronation Chicken could be renamed Corona Chicken. This went totally over the heads of both my friends, What's Coronation Chicken? It has it's own Wikipedia page so I haven't made it up.

Not sure if this is "on theme", depends upon your tastes. But on a skype conversation I mentioned Coronation Chicken could be renamed Corona Chicken. This went totally over the heads of both my friends, What's Coronation Chicken? It has it's own Wikipedia page so I haven't made it up.
My sister in law made Coronation Chicken for her husband. He is a farmer and unused to "exotic" foods and "foreign Muck" preferring plain food such as roasts, casseroles etc. He absolutely loved it and asked what it was. Just Chicken with a bit of sauce she told him, not daring to mention curry powder. It's still a firm favourite in their household but ask him to try a curry and it's a firm refusal.

Only been living in our new flat for a month,but have met some nice people.One lady on the ground floor (She seems to be the organiser) is great, fetches us shopping when required. TODAY HAD a great surprise she sent up 4 nice pieces of BREAD PUDDING. How did she know I love it

My sister in law made Coronation Chicken for her husband. He is a farmer and unused to "exotic" foods and "foreign Muck" preferring plain food such as roasts, casseroles etc. He absolutely loved it and asked what it was. Just Chicken with a bit of sauce she told him, not daring to mention curry powder. It's still a firm favourite in their household but ask him to try a curry and it's a firm refusal.
My father in law hated the mention of curry and could never be encouraged to try it and said he could smell it a mile off. One day when paying a visit he was opening a tin of mulligatawny soup. I quized him about it and he said it was his favourite. My wife and I then told him it contained curry but no
matter how hard we tried to convince him he wouldn't have it. He continued to like his soup and maintained his dislike for curry!

Stockpot - casserole dish, cooking pot, I am told that marmites are no longer in fashion now. They go for Le Creuset type pots now. And une casserole, as in the utensil is French for saucepan.But, I like marmite on buttered toast or bread, especially dipped in soup, or in hot water like Bovril with pepper in. Mum took it to remove intestinal blockages. I add it to my stock when making a soup or a stew. I am guessing Marmite didn't come from these shores originally then?

Only been living in our new flat for a month,but have met some nice people.One lady on the ground floor (She seems to be the organiser) is great, fetches us shopping when required. TODAY HAD a great surprise she sent up 4 nice pieces of BREAD PUDDING. How did she know I love it
wish someone would give me some. i love the stuff. as long as it it NOT made from hot cross buns:grinning:

Many years ago when my children were small I would do a little cooking as a respite for my wife.
They loved my cookies, but were not so complimentary about my French (a la Elizabeth David) meals. Mum's food was better it seemed. :laughing:

The good lady made me watch Jamie Oliver burn his meal again today.
Did you see how he burnt the Peppers
No wonder his Restaurants closed
Burnt food - that reminds me of barbecues which I try to avoid at all costs. I seems that some folk manage to either overcook (burn) some things and disastrously (health wise) under cook others.
I guess that could be the silver lining for me with 'lockdown'. ;)

Burnt food - that reminds me of barbecues which I try to avoid at all costs. I seems that some folk manage to either overcook (burn) some things and disastrously (health wise) under cook others.
I guess that could be the silver lining for me with 'lockdown'. ;)
Our friend has the knack of turning beatiful steak into a piece of white steamed meat. Despite all the food we bring along she also buys everything she can from the butchers i.e. minted lamb steaks, burgers sausages and then does peas and sweet corn and boiled potatoes with melted cheese and vegetable rice plus salad. Being only four of us we can't eat it all but still insists on cooking everything. End up with loads of cold carbonised food which goes in the bin. The most I can manage is a decent burger and a few beers. So I'm not a massive fan of bbqs either.

Our friend has the knack of turning beatiful steak into a piece of white steamed meat. Despite all the food we bring along she also buys everything she can from the butchers i.e. minted lamb steaks, burgers sausages and then does peas and sweet corn and boiled potatoes with melted cheese and vegetable rice plus salad. Being only four of us we can't eat it all but still insists on cooking everything. End up with loads of cold carbonised food which goes in the bin. The most I can manage is a decent burger and a few beers. So I'm not a massive fan of bbqs either.
I have the knack of turning a beautiful steak into a burnt offering:)most of the food i dont chomp.goes in my canine bin:grinning:

Apart from times of illness, barbecues is when I am allowed to cook. It is my domaine. So I barbecue everything from toast to pears. I usually end up dropping things through the wire grill though. I try to put cheese on the top of the burgers. My friend doesn't clean his barbecue, yuk, and they have fish sometimes. He says it burns off! Ours is a small round one with wobbly tripod legs. If we are lucky we do 3 a year! I so wish I had kept mum's extending toasting fork. I read that barbecue means from the tip of the pig's beard, *la barbe to his bum, Le cul. Pronounced cue. Nan would have been in her element I don't think she ever had one but she loved the burned skin on rice pudding and the burned ends of suet pudding and toast. Bacon and black pudding done to a frazzle.
* I also discovered Barbapapa, barbe a papa, = father's beard = candy floss. When we remniniced our childhoods

One of my customers asked if I could take her to Bristol, she was staying overnight with two maiden aunts prior to a funeral next day..

On the way she told me that they never gave her any food when she visited so maybe we could eat before getting there.

We went to a Berni Inn and had steak and a sweet.

We got to Aunty's house about 8pm, she came from the kitchen with a huge pile of chicken sandwiches. :oops:

Apart from times of illness, barbecues is when I am allowed to cook. It is my domaine. So I barbecue everything from toast to pears. I usually end up dropping things through the wire grill though. I try to put cheese on the top of the burgers. My friend doesn't clean his barbecue, yuk, and they have fish sometimes. He says it burns off! Ours is a small round one with wobbly tripod legs. If we are lucky we do 3 a year! I so wish I had kept mum's extending toasting fork. I read that barbecue means from the tip of the pig's beard, *la barbe to his bum, Le cul. Pronounced cue. Nan would have been in her element I don't think she ever had one but she loved the burned skin on rice pudding and the burned ends of suet pudding and toast. Bacon and black pudding done to a frazzle.
* I also discovered Barbapapa, barbe a papa, = father's beard = candy floss. When we remniniced our childhoods
Bacon and black pudding done to a frazzle in a lightly toasted sandwich, i want some!!

When I was a get you home working for a breakdown Co,had to go to Dover at 5 oclock one night to pick up 3 people who's car had broken down they had to go to Lincoln. Going up the A1 about 8oclock they decided they wanted something to eat.We stopped at a Little Chef and they told me to have anything I wanted so had what they had a Steak. Had to make a diversion to some village to drop one off ,but in the end said thank you very much and gave me £20.Very nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back