• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Delta Metal Dartmouth Street

Welcome Clarke I remember the factory opposite the Dartmouth Arms after it closed down it became Hills Glass i never worked there but did turn out for the football team their sports ground and social club was in Holly Lane erdington iwent there many times i was there training when the Spanish football squad tiurned up in 1966. geart memorie4s. Dek:cool::cool:

I have a friend who worked at Delta Metals his name was Arthur Hartland sadly no longer with us.

A few people here worked at The Delta Metal Company. The sports field in Holly Lane was well kept up and a new pavilion was built late fifties I think. There is a bowling green there and excellent wicket. The old changing rooms used to be back right of the field where the shooting range was at one time. It's all still there except for the tennis courts seemingly.
The company became TSX or some such name. An Indian group I think. Had no idea that they did not still extrude brass sections.
That area around there might have been the brass centre of the world at one time perhaps.

I lived in Holly Lane and our garden backed onto the sports field right by the goalposts on one of the football pitches.

Hi all. I had relatives working there back in the 1970s, By the names of. Leslie, and James Roach. Sadly both now deceased. Strange I should go there a few years later, into what is now a Cash Centre, when I was working for Brinks.

hi reg;
i remember delta metals.it was a huge company with departments around the country
thee is one or two members on this site that worked for them
including myself .
our friend mossy . whom i am sure will not mind me mentioming him from our site
here on the forum ;he worked at the one on dudley rd depot .for many a years
he started there when it was Barker @ Allen Metals .
then they changed to delta metals limited
I Myself was a foreman at delta .down at the nechells plant , ARGLE STREET,for a couple of years
working in the electro plating department,
they payed decent wages and looked after the employee,s
reggie ; merry christmas to you ,and may you have a healthy ,and prosperous new year for 2010.
Astonian ;;

Reg Cook you mention Les and Jimmy Roach I remember them well we all drank ion the Little Brit in Procter St i played in the same team as Jimmy he was one of my mates even 40years on i can not forget his sad death the whole team turn out for both the funerals some things just don,t leave youre mind a sad loss for all. Dek

Hello Dek. Nice to hear from you. I would have seen you playing football then!! I used to go and watch our Jim play, he taught me a thing or two, took up playing sunday football myself, played for about 20 years. you mentioned the funeral, Jimmy's dad is buried next to him, and next to him. is my first daughter we lost her back in 74. next to my daughter, is my mom and Dad. Its our little family plot. Val's ashes were put in jimmy's grave too. Regards Reg.

I worked at Delta Metals, Dartmouth Street, for about 8 years from 1968 until 1976 when they moved to West Bromwich. It was a wonderful, happy company to work for there were many tears when it closed. I worked for the Sales Manager, and I still keep in touch with a few workmates from those days. We also had many good times at the club in Holly Lane. I still have the last Delta Magazine somewhere, I will look it out after Christmas.

For reasons never explained, my old company could never get any sales at Delta in West Brom. There was a senior buyer there (name forgotten) who seemed to take a dislike to anyone associated with my then-employer. I never did find out why. Quite a few of my colleagues had a go, but no success.

Big Gee

Reg Cook you mention Les and Jimmy Roach I remember them well we all drank ion the Little Brit in Procter St i played in the same team as Jimmy he was one of my mates even 40years on i can not forget his sad death the whole team turn out for both the funerals some things just don,t leave youre mind a sad loss for all. Hiya Dek. You wouldn't have any photographs of the old football team would ya.?

Reg i,ve been looking for them i have found the ones from earlier we started of in the under 18 league Jimmy came in the middle of our 3rd season after he left the Villa i think my son may have nickied them i will have to E-mail him as he is a fully fledged aussie if he has them he can post them back. Dek :)

Thanks Dek. I'd love to see them if possible! You know!! I'd forgotten about Jimmy and the Villa, why did he leave there anyway.? Did he get kicked out.!! LOL.............I see you're virtually living next door to me then.I forgot to tell you, I named my son after him. Regards, Reg.

Back