• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Crown And Cushion Pubs Perry Barr

Hi Astoness,

But the little one was the 'old' Crown & Cushion! And I didn't know it had gone - was it demolished, or is it now a kebab shop or similar? My dad used it when the Rat Pan got a bit too rowdy.

Big Gee

Hello Big Gee not sure of the exact date probably as you say late30s.
The little Crown & Cushion on the other side of the road,the building is still there but not a pub any more. Dek

thats a cracking pic you have found dek..viv you are right...looking at deks pic i would think that most of the orginal crown and cushion would have stood on what is now the pavement and a little bit of it over the underpass....how things have changed...

thanks for that pic dek...

lyn

Lovely picture Lyn. I have in my family tree Alfred Bowen who died 16th May 1878 at The Old Crown and Cushion Perry Barr his wife Sarah on the 1881 census was still running the pub.Do you think this would be the same public house. On the 1871 census they have the Pump Tavern Soho Street Handsworth. Anyway its a lovely picture.

hi dottie...the pic of the old crown on post 28 would without question have been where alfred bowen died...it really is a cracking pic posted by dek....do you have one of the pump tavern...

lyn

taken the other day..the 3rd crown and cushion..

pic 2 what used to be the little crown and cushion on the other side of the road..

xmas2011007.jpg

Replacement image may vary from original.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
kkkk.jpeg

The Crown and Cushion in 1959, on the opposite side of the road to the small pub of the same name.
This one was built on the junction of Birchfield and Wellington roads where meet Aston Lane.

the crown and cushion has now closed as a pub and i have heard on the grapevine that it will most likely be used as some sort of market or supermarket...never liked this 3rd crown and cushion but its the end of an era having a pub on that corner...

Never understood why they rebuilt the second Crown & Cushion. It was big enough to carry on as a pub and convert the rest to some other use. It might have been more viable that way. It was in the style of a coaching inn and was a good design, looked solidly built and must have been the venue for many events, unlike it's replacement. Viv.

quite agree viv..the one we have now is smaller than the second one...popped into the third one a couple of years back just to have nose...never again...

lyn

Last edited:
So how old is the Old Crown and Cushion?

In July 1848 there was public meeting held on the land, situate near the Crown and Cushion, Perry Barr. (In the February a chap had been arrested with 11 forged 5 pound notes at the Crown and Cushion).

Now…. also in that year there was the Sale of the valuable Lease of THE OLD CROWN AND CUSHION, a very old-established roadside Inn, pleasantly situated in the village of Perry Barr, near to the railway station, on the New Walsall Road…successfully carried on for the last half century.

In March 1866 there was an advert placed for a General Servant of good character…Apply at the Old Crown and Cushion, Perry Barr.

In January 1870 there was an advert…Strayed, a White SWAN. If not owned in three days, will be sold to pay expenses…Apply, Crown and Cushion, Perry Barr. (No Joke!)

(So there was an Old Crown and Cushion dating from around 1800!)

Two photos from another thread (https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birchfield-road-perry-barr.38467/page-20)

The first was posted by myself and the second was posted by Astoness. Behind it in the first image is the replacement C&C in the process of being built. I think you can see early origins of the older pub in the early pub building. The rear building between the old and new C&C s was demolished before the completion of the larger C&C. Was this the original inn I wonder? The replacement C&C was itself subsequently replaced in the late 1900s. Viv.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
hi viv....as far as i know there has not been 4 crown and cushion pubs on that site so the above photos show the smaller pub 1 with pub 2 behind and we all know what pub 3 looks like:( which of course is no longer a pub...could never understand why pub 2 was demolished only to build another one in its place....

Hi Lyn. I wondered if the lower building between the old and new C&Cs (red dots) was the oldest part of the pub. It looks like it to me. And maybe that part was later extended with the building along Birchfield Road when Perry Barr Village developed. Viv.
image.jpeg

yes i guess that is possible viv..or as i have always thought its a trick of the camera and the lower buildings could actually be houses..i have always thought that there just not seem enough space between pub 1 and 2 for the lower buildings but if you look closely and taking into account camera tricks and angles it looks like they lie back a bit.either way the lower buildings were demolished before pub 1 as my pic shows...i am sure we have an older shot of the pub viv which may help solve it....will try and find it when i have a min

lyn

That would be great if you can find it Lyn. If it was a house the frontage was changed to continue the line of the pub around to the bay window of the house. So it must have been or become or connected with the Old C&C.

I've had a look at the 1834 map of the area. The road was turnpiked in 1831. This point of the road was a toll point so doubtless the C&C inn was a coaching inn at that time. (From History online it tells us The New Walsall Road, joining New Town Row to the Walsall and Hamstead road at Great Barr was turnpiked as the Perry Barr Turnpike in 1831). So expect from the 1800s the old inn was a useful stopping-off point.

Here's the modern map compared with 1834. I've tried to work out where the inn is on the 1834 map and think it's where I've marked it in orange. I've marked Birchfield House on the modern map so it's easier to compare. And I've marked the old C&C too (somewhere within the African Village label - this junction was changed considerably when the roundabout/underpass system was built) Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Viv.

image.jpeg

hi viv....as far as i know there has not been 4 crown and cushion pubs on that site so the above photos show the smaller pub 1 with pub 2 behind and we all know what pub 3 looks like:( which of course is no longer a pub...could never understand why pub 2 was demolished only to build another one in its place....

I would guess maybe it was the costs of running a large building if the two function rooms were not being used?

If the orange circled building is the old C &C, by 1834 it was an 'L' shaped fitting the C&C building in the photo in post #46. Also wondering what the two dots might be behind the C&C on the 1834 map. Viv.

image.jpeg

looks about right to me viv and that would be aston lane to the right of it i think..think i made a mistake thinking i had an older one of the pub got it mixed up with 2 i have of the old toll gate which i would like to see marked on a map...was it near to the pub??

image.jpeg Almost next to it Lyn. Old C&C to the left. Must have been the toll house to the right with list of charges posted on the upper wall. Drawing is based on the scene in 1870s. Viv.

thanks viv thats one of the pics i have...i thought that the pub was on the left but was trying to get my bearings...now trying to work out what church that is in the distance...poss aston parish church

crikey viv from that angle i would not have thought you could see christ church as it was in the city centre...just goes to show how deceiving it can be

lyn

The Crown and Cushion is listed in Pigot's Directory of 1835 but not that of 1829 so must have been built when the road was turnpiked! If there was an earlier Inn it obviously did not merit the name. In 1835 it was just Crown and Cushion run by Sarah Ryley (Perry Barr).
Janice

No Lyn not that one! The Christ Church that was demolished near the One Stop centre, junction of Aldridge Rd and Walsall Road Viv.

Thanks Janice. I did wonder whilst looking at this that the name "Crown and Cushion" might have been a later name. Sounds too grand if the inn/tavern started off as a small concern. But afraid no evidence - as yet! Viv.

The older directories,including Pigots were not always very up to date, and also not always complete. there are two cuttings below (and several others) which show the Crown & Cushion in existence by 1824. At that time a Mr. Nixon was apparently in residence

Attachments

• Aris Birm Gaz.12.4.1824.jpg
    Aris Birm Gaz.12.4.1824.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Birm J.17.2.1827.jpg
    Birm J.17.2.1827.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 10
Back