• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birchfield Road Perry Barr

Albeit a slightly damaged photo, but would I be right in thinking the building under construction behind the Old Crown and Cushion is the big Crown &Cushion (i.e. the great big pub, designed like a 1930s coaching inn) ? We've discussed the various C& C's on Birchfield Road before, and we know that the Old C& C sat in front of the big C&C until the big C&C was built, then Old C& C in front was later demolished. Come on folks, keep up! The road on which the little C&C stood is now, I think, the roundabout. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374492431.047254.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1374492559.062162.jpg
Crown and Cushion pubs junction Birchfield Road and Wellington Road

Enid Goodwins was originally in Birchfield Road in one of the old houses, have spent some good times there, got all my medals and a few boyfriends. Still dancing!!! My dancing partner in those days was a guy called Max, do not remember his surname, any recollections??????

Enids' was in Birchfield Road. I can't remember names now Kate, Enid had names for people. I know one of the lads I liked she always called Bright Eyes. My girl friend who I always went with was Barbara Jackson, she later got medals with a partner from Enids'

Am going to look at the number my Nan lived at Di when she was young and try to find out exactly where it was.

This is a lovely thread, I lived in Stoneleigh Road, which is just down a little way from Birchfield Road, from March 1957 when we were married until we left Birmingham in late 1959. I did all my shopping there, at the Co - Op, Wimbushes, Dodds, Englands for my shoes. So many memories on here, thank you all for taking me back it has been such a nice journey.

Do you remember a little wool shop Di an the corner close to Franchise street. I used to fetch Nan and Mom's wool from there. I can't remember the ladies name who owned it though?.

We were married in 1971 and lived in Woodridge (off Trinity Road, right by the Variety Artistes Club). We did most of our shopping on Birchfield Rd, at Mac Fisheries (on the site of the Birchfield Cinema), the bakers a bit further down (I think it was Baines), and a mini-market on the corner of Trinity Rd and Birchfield Rd called 'Bill The Bandit' that stayed open late. I think Wrenson's was still there at that time, on the opposite corner of Birchfield Rd and Bragg Rd to Mac Fisheries. I can also remember the manager of Lloyd's Bank standing outside smoking his pipe - a really nice man.

How this area has changed in the intervening 42 years! I drove along Birchfield Rd a couple of weeks ago and could have wept. Every shop seemed to be fast food, and the area was filthy. Still, the world moves on.

G

Do you remember a little wool shop Di an the corner close to Franchise street. I used to fetch Nan and Mom's wool from there. I can't remember the ladies name who owned it though?.

Yes, I remember that shop - can't think of the name though!
I will ask my mother when I speak to her at the weekend, she used to work at Wilkes, the other little wool shop in Perry Barr so she is bound to know the name.

Yes Jean , I lived in Nechells for a while and got off the bus in Perry Barr and walked down Franchise Street to Kynochs every morning I remember the shop but not the name.

Look forward to that Di. I still can't think of the ladies name. Mom used to work there too in the canteen as pastry cook.

The Electoral Rolls for the 50's/60's will tell us. I will have a look tomorrow, it has been a while since I looked at them and I have to figure it out again.

Back