• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Crown And Cushion Pubs Perry Barr

zonda

Brummie babby
Anybody on this site that used to go to the Old Crown and Cushion in Perry Barr back in the seventies?.

hi zonda...yes i used it most lunchtimes in the early 70s when i worked in the office block that was at one stop...i also remember the indian restaurant in that block..if memory serves me right (and i dosnt always) i think it was on the 2nd floor....

astoness:):)

Do you mean the 'big' Crown & Cushion on the corner of Wellington Road, or the 'little' Crown & Cushion right opposite, on Birchfield Road?

Being dragged up in Perry Barr, it was the 'little' pub that was known as the 'old' Crown & Cushion.

In the 1960's the 'big' C&C used to have some good bands on, on Sunday nights if I recall. I know for sure I saw John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton there (my life-long heroes) and I think I remember seeing The Alan Price Set (not sure about this - you know they say that if you can remember the Sixties, you weren't there...)

Big Gee

hi big gee..well i have used both but mainly the old crown and cushion...the little one has gone now...:(:(:(

Hi Astoness,

But the little one was the 'old' Crown & Cushion! And I didn't know it had gone - was it demolished, or is it now a kebab shop or similar? My dad used it when the Rat Pan got a bit too rowdy.

Big Gee

Yes we used to go to work do's when we had to. Bit of a dump from what I can remember . Used to show our faces and go somewhere else. Jean.

Crown & Cushion Atkinsons Ales, Used to go the Sat night dances circa1949?, also had a pint or two after watching the Brummies Speedway racing around the same years. Len.

I used to go to dances at the Crown and Cushion on the corner of Wellington Road/ Birchfield Road in the late 60's. There were two 'ballroom' areas, one upstairs and one at ground floor level. Saw loads of different bands there.

I might be wrong about this but I understood it was the OLD C&C because there was an older pub building of the same name on that site.
The small C&C on the other side of the Birchfield Road was the 'New' C&C because it was new in comparison to the original larger one - if you can understand what I mean?!!

One of Aunts used to work in the office at the big C&C in the 30's (taking bookings for functions) and I think she told me this.

A crowd of us used to go to hear live music at the Old Crown and Cushion.Remember seeing Prince Buster in 1967 or 1968.

Mossg.

I might be wrong about this but I understood it was the OLD C&C because there was an older pub building of the same name on that site.
The small C&C on the other side of the Birchfield Road was the 'New' C&C because it was new in comparison to the original larger one - if you can understand what I mean?!

All I can say is that when I was a sprog living in The Broadway, my old man always referred to the 'small' pub as the 'old' C&C...and one tended not to argue with my dear daddy.

Never ever been in the 'small' one, but had a mis-spent youth in the 'big' one, I'm more than happy to say!

Good health!

Big Gee

crownandcushion001.jpg

• Appreciate
Reactions: ade
hi viv i used to go in there at lunchtimes when i worked in the office block that was in the middle of one stop...this pic is not so nice though as its the demolision of the pub..i really dont know why this pub had to go...have you seen the one that has been built in its place...oh sorry i forgot you dont live in brum now...the little crown and cushion that was opposite side has also gone..its some house letting place now i think..

demolisionofcrownandcushperrybarr.jpg

Last edited:
I used both the large,and small,only on match day;s at The Villa though,rarely any other time,used to start at the larger one,then move to the small,then small on the way home,usually attending evening games,loved the smaller one.

hi viv i used to go in there at lunchtimes when i worked in the office block that was in the middle of one stop...this pic is not so nice though as its the demolision of the pub..i really dont know why this pub had to go...have you seen the one that has been built in its place...oh sorry i forgot you dont live in brum now...the little crown and cushion that was opposite side has also gone..its some house letting place now i think..

demolisionofcrownandcushperrybarr.jpg

Such a pity it's gone Lyn as it looks like it was once quite an important pub (maybe a stopping off place on a main route? Sorry don't recall all the history although I do remember a discussion we all had about the tollgate and the earlier C&C which was built here) And from memory in the 1960s it was probably one of the few landmarks along this stretch of road through Perry Barr that hadn't been messed up when they put the underpass through here. I expect
whatever replaced it was no improvement either. Ah well, all lost now..... Viv.

thats right viv i remember talking about it before....didnt someone post an old pic of the toll gate..could be my memory going though lol..will have look tomorrow and see if i can find it...you really would not like the pub that is there now..last time i looked it was painted blue and yellow..i usually close my eyes when i go past it....

Yes Lyn. I had a postcard of the tollgate (produced for Geo. Ellison, Welhead Lane) and uploaded a photo of it. It was frpm a drawing. But can I now find either the postcard or the photo? Must try and get myself more organised, but meanwhile will keep looking. :stupid::stupid: Viv.

Back