• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cowper Street

its great isnt it cowperkid...at the click of a button you are transported back down the old end :)

lyn

I would like to wish every one especially Mikejee and Lyn a very merry Christmas and happy new year all the best good on ya

Hello all, I've been browsing the forum but am not very good at finding info, please advise where i should look and also post questions about my particular quest - my mum, Flora Godley was born at '4 House, 2 Terrace Cowper street. I've found an old map on this site, which is great but can't seem to pinpoint where it actually was, between Newtown row and Summer lane, there was a school and St Stephens church, all long gone, I wonder exactly what's on that site now? Also, Does the name Homan mean anything to anyone here? looking forward to hearing from you folks and maybe joining a meet up sometime? thanks, Fiona Stubbs - family on this square mile for over 2 centuries

Hi Fiona, I think you have made a great start by posting on here. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people with a number of skill set that I am sure will help you on your way.

How about posting link to the map you think is in the vicinity of your moms house?

Because we try not to use names of persons still living in a search of family,I have sent you a message.
I realise that most of the people mentioned in my message are no longer here some of their family will be. Alberta

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing these photos. Three generations of my family lived at 58 Cowper St. They were the Tildesleys. If anyone knows them I'd love to hear from them. The name Benjamin, Ben and Benny :)

Hello, I’m a new member. Slinton, I recently came across your post regarding the Tildesley family. My Great Grandparents lived at 58 Cowper Street and their daughters name was Martha. When Martha (my Grandmother married Arthur Case she moved to 64 Cowper Street. My Grandparents had 10 children, 7 boys and 3 girls. Albert and Harold the twins, Arthur, Margaret, Donna, Edith, Pat, Phylis, Irene and Susan. Albert Case is my dad. When he married my mom they lived with Thomas Braker 1/58. My Auntie Irene married Eric Lee. My dad grew up with the Lee, Harris and Hunt boys. My dad also knows a Gordon Rogers. I went to Cowper Street School until I was 4 years old (I left in 1964) I also attended Sunday School. My Great Grandfather was named Benjamine Tildesley.

welcome to the forum debbie and thanks for your post...hope you enjoyed looking at the photos

all the best

lyn

Hello, I’m a new member. Slinton, I recently came across your post regarding the Tildesley family. My Great Grandparents lived at 58 Cowper Street and their daughters name was Martha. When Martha (my Grandmother married Arthur Case she moved to 64 Cowper Street. My Grandparents had 10 children, 7 boys and 3 girls. Albert and Harold the twins, Arthur, Margaret, Donna, Edith, Pat, Phylis, Irene and Susan. Albert Case is my dad. When he married my mom they lived with Thomas Braker 1/58. My Auntie Irene married Eric Lee. My dad grew up with the Lee, Harris and Hunt boys. My dad also knows a Gordon Rogers. I went to Cowper Street School until I was 4 years old (I left in 1964) I also attended Sunday School. My Great Grandfather was named Benjamine Tildesley.
Gordon Rogers mentioned could have been my wife's uncle who lived with his Mother and siblings in Andover Place, Cowper St. At that time my wife lived with her parents Albert & Elsie Rogers at 13/66 Andover Place, Cowper St until they moved to Whitehead St in1952.

Last edited:
Hi Debbie I seem to remember a tommy rogers do you have a rellie name tommy , I lived at no 7 cowper street causer

I remember the Harris family, they were the biggest on the street and lived across from Cowper St school.
Dave A

Hello all,

This is my first post on BHF, my dad was born in Cowper Street Aston in 1921 he was one of eight brothers and went to school at “Cowper College” he told me bits and pieces about his early life there and I can remember going to the house where he was born when I was about 11 or 12 years old to see his auntie Lill. The house was in a courtyard and apparently my Mom and Dad were severely told off for sheltering in the cellar there in an air raid during the second war because there was a deep well in the cellar. Are there any books or photographs available that anyone could recommend to find out more about this memory of my Dad’s early life. I was born after the war in1953 in Dyas Road Great Barr, I went to Delhurst Rd infants school then Aldridge Road Juniors and on to Great Barr Comprehensive. As a child I was surrounded by my Mom’s close family as they all seemed to live in Dyas Road, Dad’s family all lived on and around Kingstanding Road just up from the Circle. Over. The years I’ve lost touch with most family members, hence my curiosity of my Dads past. I would be really grateful of any information. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can help anyone looking for information about Great Barrin the 1950’s & 60’s

Thanks in advance

John

must say i have only heard of cowper st school..never heard it called a college but we do have threads for cowper st with old photos before demo and also a thread for cowper st school...just use the search box top right of the main page hope this helps

lyn

What an interesting site this is. I once lived at Cowper Street in 1963 after my marriage to my first husband who lived at Cowper Street. I recall a Glass Factory that was next door to the house which was No 13. It was my then Mother In Laws house and she told me then that the house itself and probably other were condemned 30 years earlier. There was a shop across the road and the lady,s name was Causer who owned it. The neighbours were friendly people but the actual house was awaiting to be knocked down in the slum clearance. Coming from London and a nicer house, to say it was a culture shock is putting it mildly. I can still recall the dead bugs in my new wedding presents when we came to move to our first home at Great Barr in 1964, two weeks before my son was born, and the memories are still clear in my mind of the cramped conditions of the Cowper Street House.Thankfully my Mother In Law moved into one of the New Flats that were built nearby at New town area and enjoyed a nice home before she passed away in 1968. Fond and sad memories still linger.

What an interesting site this is. I once lived at Cowper Street in 1963 after my marriage to my first husband who lived at Cowper Street. I recall a Glass Factory that was next door to the house which was No 13. It was my then Mother In Laws house and she told me then that the house itself and probably other were condemned 30 years earlier. There was a shop across the road and the lady,s name was Causer who owned it. The neighbours were friendly people but the actual house was awaiting to be knocked down in the slum clearance. Coming from London and a nicer house, to say it was a culture shock is putting it mildly. I can still recall the dead bugs in my new wedding presents when we came to move to our first home at Great Barr in 1964, two weeks before my son was born, and the memories are still clear in my mind of the cramped conditions of the Cowper Street House.Thankfully my Mother In Law moved into one of the New Flats that were built nearby at New town area and enjoyed a nice home before she passed away in 1968. Fond and sad memories still linger.
I don't think the lady in the shop was a causer , the Causer family lived on the other side of the street as in me and my family lived almost opposite the shop , think her last name was Falkner ass kids we called her fanny Falkner not sure iff fanny was her real name or just a nickname, hope I don't offend any one used to buy pear drops or pineapple chunks from her great memories there is a picture of the shop on this site lovely picture

[QUOTEHAP="cowperkid, post: 643303, member: 102909"]
Hi Claybury that could well be the name the guys first name was Paul his mom was a very big woman and very nice to us kids
[/QUOTE]
HI COWPER KID.YES THAT WOULD BE THE HENMAN FAMILY .PAUL,S MUM WAS A LARGE LADY. SHE WAS MY 1st HUSBANDS MUM AND A NICE LADY. I MARRIED PAUL,S BROTHER "DAVID" IN 1963. PAUL WAS A NICE CHAP,HE MARRIED IN 1968 .I LIVED AT No 13 COWPER ST. WITH THEM FROM 1963 TILL 1964 THEN MOVED UP TO GREAT BARR. HAVE A PIC OF PHYLLIS BUT NOT OF PAUL I,M AFRAID. HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL. CHEERS. claybury

I don't think the lady in the shop was a causer , the Causer family lived on the other side of the street as in me and my family lived almost opposite the shop , think her last name was Falkner ass kids we called her fanny Falkner not sure iff fanny was her real name or just a nickname, hope I don't offend any one used to buy pear drops or pineapple chunks from her great memories there is a picture of the shop on this site lovely picture
YES you are right about the shop keepers name, sorry,time and memory sometimes evades. I recall the Causer Family now as they lived a few doors down from us at No 13.on same side of course.Nice Family, I recall giving them a rabbit that we had been given " from whom I can,t remember" . A lady who lived at back of us ,Mrs Waterhouse. I think, will check it out, she used to have Snuff every day and wobble home inebriated from the Pub on the corner of a lunch time, a nice lady though. I was married to Mrs Henman,s older son David who was in the army . cheers. ann

YES you are right about the shop keepers name, sorry,time and memory sometimes evades. I recall the Causer Family now as they lived a few doors down from us at No 13.on same side of course.Nice Family, I recall giving them a rabbit that we had been given " from whom I can,t remember" . A lady who lived at back of us ,Mrs Waterhouse. I think, will check it out, she used to have Snuff every day and wobble home inebriated from the Pub on the corner of a lunch time, a nice lady though. I was married to Mrs Henman,s older son David who was in the army . cheers. ann
Hi Ann I think Mrs waterhouse's first name was Winnie and I remember the rabbit very well I looked after it for a long time it was huge a white angora rabbit although I didn't remember where it came from .I don't remember David but I think at that time Paul and maybe Dave tinkering with a jeep outside the house did Dave have a jeep at that time is Paul still with us , I know some years back my sister gill saw him at a school reunion by the way Ann would it be possible to post the pic of mrs Henman I would love to see it , by for now reg .

Last edited:
Hi Ann I think Mrs waterhouse's first name was Winnie and I remember the rabbit very well I looked after it for a long time it was huge a white angora rabbit although I didn't remember where it came from .I don't remember David but I think at that time Paul and maybe Dave tinkering with a jeep outside the house did Dave have a jeep at that time is Paul still with us , I know some years back my sister gill saw him at a school reunion by the way Ann would it be possible to post the pic of mrs Henman I would love to see it , by for now reg .
Thanks Reg for mail. I found the old pic of Phyllis,it was faded after yrs and cheap camera then so my hubby has tried to make it clearer.It is a bit darker on the ground part but certainly better to see Phyllis.This was taken in 1965/66 ish. I am standing next to Phyllis holding my Son /her G/son, I was 19 then, my son getting on for 2yrs. Taken in garden at Gt.Barr. Sadly my Son passed away 30 yrs ago and his Father David died about 1984.both tragic sadly. Paul I believe lived at Malvern , married with a Son & Daughter and now a G/son. What memories I still have of the area. Yes Im sure Mrs Ws name was Winnie. Neither David or Paul had a car although Paul did drive when he lived at the new tower block a few yrs later. Paul was a nice chap ,sadly life changes and we lose contact.I believe Phyllis also had a Daughter who was 10 when she passed away in 1944. I am on the Ancestry site and getting things sorted that I remember I was told yrs ago,so hope to find out more later. I remember Phyllis had a chap visit her ",Sam Morris" who lived off the Farm St. road,he was actually Pau,ls Father but went as Henman.Think they were going to Wedd. but Phyllis pawned the ring I heard. Bless Her. Cheers Ann.

[QUOTEHAP="cowperkid, post: 643303, member: 102909"]
Hi Claybury that could well be the name the guys first name was Paul his mom was a very big woman and very nice to us kids
HI COWPER KID.YES THAT WOULD BE THE HENMAN FAMILY .PAUL,S MUM WAS A LARGE LADY. SHE WAS MY 1st HUSBANDS MUM AND A NICE LADY. I MARRIED PAUL,S BROTHER "DAVID" IN 1963. PAUL WAS A NICE CHAP,HE MARRIED IN 1968 .I LIVED AT No 13 COWPER ST. WITH THEM FROM 1963 TILL 1964 THEN MOVED UP TO GREAT BARR. HAVE A PIC OF PHYLLIS BUT NOT OF PAUL I,M AFRAID. HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL. CHEERS. claybury
[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• ANN+MinL (2).jpg
    ANN+MinL (2).jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 7
Back