• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cowper Street

HI COWPER KID.YES THAT WOULD BE THE HENMAN FAMILY .PAUL,S MUM WAS A LARGE LADY. SHE WAS MY 1st HUSBANDS MUM AND A NICE LADY. I MARRIED PAUL,S BROTHER "DAVID" IN 1963. PAUL WAS A NICE CHAP,HE MARRIED IN 1968 .I LIVED AT No 13 COWPER ST. WITH THEM FROM 1963 TILL 1964 THEN MOVED UP TO GREAT BARR. HAVE A PIC OF PHYLLIS BUT NOT OF PAUL I,M AFRAID. HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL. CHEERS. claybury
[/QUOTE]
Thank you claybury for the pic it is amazing ,would you have known my sisters gill Margaret jean kath or my brothers bill and john bill was also in the army

Thank you claybury for the pic it is amazing ,would you have known my sisters gill Margaret jean kath or my brothers bill and john bill was also in the army
[/QUOTE] the army
Afraid not Reg,I was working the short time I lived there but I can vaguely picture your Mum. Pity I don,t have more pics from that time although still have one of David. I have a book which shows part of Cowper St but does,nt have the part where we lived sadly. David was in Germany B F P O ? Gunner I think he was in. Bought himself out of the army before we married and worked at Lucas King St. Cheers ann,

the army
Afraid not Reg,I was working the short time I lived there but I can vaguely picture your Mum. Pity I don,t have more pics from that time although still have one of David. I have a book which shows part of Cowper St but does,nt have the part where we lived sadly. David was in Germany B F P O ? Gunner I think he was in. Bought himself out of the army before we married and worked at Lucas King St. Cheers ann,
[/QUOTE]
My sister was telling me the weekend how our mom and Mrs. Henman used to sit together crying because both there sons were far away think Dave was in Cypress and bill my brother was in Aden .

hi banjo that is just a little before my time but I will ask my older sister if she knows the name rogers sounds familiar I will get back to you.
was there a Tommy rogers i think he rode a motorbike and only had one leg , but i might be getting mixed up with two different people but i defiantly remember a Tommy rogers think he was friends with my dad .

I am looking for information about Cowper Street. I know there are references to a 'Cowper Street' on the forum already but I am not sure if this is the street I am looking for.

The address I have is; 1 Coleshill Place, Cowper Street in the district of St Mary's. Was the Cowper Street, Aston in the district of St Mary's?

Maps, photos would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation
My dad was born there and his birth certificate is sub district of St. Marys

was there a Tommy rogers i think he rode a motorbike and only had one leg , but i might be getting mixed up with two different people but i defiantly remember a Tommy rogers think he was friends with my dad .
My wife's family lived at 13/66 Cowper St which was the last house up Andover Court. Her uncle Gordon Rogers lived with his mother in the same court but nearer the road. Tommy Rogers was not part of her family.

Hello, I’m a new member. Slinton, I recently came across your post regarding the Tildesley family. My Great Grandparents lived at 58 Cowper Street and their daughters name was Martha. When Martha (my Grandmother married Arthur Case she moved to 64 Cowper Street. My Grandparents had 10 children, 7 boys and 3 girls. Albert and Harold the twins, Arthur, Margaret, Donna, Edith, Pat, Phylis, Irene and Susan. Albert Case is my dad. When he married my mom they lived with Thomas Braker 1/58. My Auntie Irene married Eric Lee. My dad grew up with the Lee, Harris and Hunt boys. My dad also knows a Gordon Rogers. I went to Cowper Street School until I was 4 years old (I left in 1964) I also attended Sunday School. My Great Grandfather was named Benjamine Tildesley.
Hi..
Small world... we used to live at 58 Cowper Street... We went to the school across the road.. also I vaguely remember Mrs Croft who ran the corner shop.
Our surname was Barton.. we lived there until 1966/7 when the council moved us out to kingstanding... Small world....

Im looking for information about a fire/explosion on cowper street i have searched the web high and low on and off for around 3 years now and can't find anything. My nan was caught up in this explosion she said she was 11 at the time so that would make it 1962 i beleive it was an old coal yard a lady sent her daughter to the shop for some petroleum jelly covered my nans leg in it as it was burned dont have much more info than that

This image of Cowper Street from 1964 is labelled Halden Glass Works (Alden on another copy), I have Kelly's for 1967/68 & 1955 and it does not appear on either. Could somebody with access to the appropriate year's copy do an address look-up please.

Attachments

• Cowper_Street_-_Halden_Glassworks_Ltd_-_6-11-1964.jpg
    Cowper_Street_-_Halden_Glassworks_Ltd_-_6-11-1964.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 16
Then 1964 Kellys gives Haldens Glass works at no 27 Cowper St, though list them as glass merchants. they are listed there in th e1961,62 , 63 & 64 editions, but not the 1958 or 1965 editions. Below is map c 1950, where it looks like it was then part of James Holt & Son Dairies

map c1950 showing where 27 Cowper st was.jpg

Then 1964 Kellys gives Haldens Glass works at no 27 Cowper St, though list them as glass merchants. they are listed there in th e1961,62 , 63 & 64 editions, but not the 1958 or 1965 editions. Below is map c 1950, where it looks like it was then part of James Holt & Son Dairies

View attachment 156052
Thanks Mike and Happy Birthday. That makes a lot of sense then, I couldn't figure out where it would have been taken. On another note can you figure out what is happening with Nos. 66 & 68 they appear to be very wide houses but on the image they appear to have been converted to smaller units. I'm fairly certain at this point the lhs of Andover Place had been demolished (there is another image taken a bit further down the road showing this) and also that the newsagents is at No. 66.

Attachments

• 66-Cowper-st.jpg
    66-Cowper-st.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 16
  • cowper-st2.jpg
    cowper-st2.jpg
    760.5 KB · Views: 16
  • cowper-st6.jpg
    cowper-st6.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 16
It's easy to spot once somebody helps with the correct location, the gate pillar with the white stripe can be seen on both these images. Does anybody know what the imposing 3 storey building was used for once the dairy closed? perhaps residential?

Attachments

• haldens-glass-merchants.jpg
    haldens-glass-merchants.jpg
    826.8 KB · Views: 8
Thanks Mike and Happy Birthday. That makes a lot of sense then, I couldn't figure out where it would have been taken. On another note can you figure out what is happening with Nos. 66 & 68 they appear to be very wide houses but on the image they appear to have been converted to smaller units. I'm fairly certain at this point the lhs of Andover Place had been demolished (there is another image taken a bit further down the road showing this) and also that the newsagents is at No. 66.
Not sure about the houses you mention, though , looking at the c1889 map below, I would say, from the shape on the map, that the entrances were , originally at least, into the courts, not onto the street, and that therefore they were not wide houses, but rather deeper houses

map c1889 west end cowper st.jpg

Thanks for your input Mike, just 1 last query could you confirm the address for H & H Print Processes Ltd., they were next door to Halden Glass Merchants in 1964.

Back