• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Covid vaccination process

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 93 year old Dad (living in Solihull) had a call yesterday to go for his first jab on Tuesday and his second jab date is April 6th - exactly 12 weeks after the first. Not sure what would have happened if I was not available to take him. He hasn't been going out apart from church (very tightly organised) and to us (his support bubble) on Christmas Day for lunch.
Will report back how he gets on.
You might be able to get the jab to come to him. I would ask. Two of my friends have, one is bedridden aged 60, the other 84 but not mobile. Friend's dad, late 80's took him 5 attempts to get one close enough, the first was in Slough, and various places plus Birmingham, Redditch, some places he had never heard of, he lives in Kenilworth. His doctor advised him to wait too. Another friend has her second dose, lives near Hull. It seems to vary greatly on your area and each centre. I watched in PMQs the MP for Kent upset his 80s and 90s were still outstanding.

Thanks - we coped. The majority of residents in his block of retirement flats use the same surgery as it is over the road. For their flu jabs a doctor came and gave the jab to all those who requested it. This has not happened for the covid jab - I assume because they came into different categories so could not be seen at the same time.
Fortunately his centre was 5 mins by car.

It is a great debate in our house. Partner doesn't want it. She never listens to me anyway but her friends have persuaded her. She will be able to see the grandchildren and her children and we have a new grandchild. And her relatives over the channel if they ever get it. And they want to wait for better one? We will wait for our invites.

My mate had a rigmarole. He lives in Coventry. He was invited in a letter for one in Rugby, the same day. He couldn't do it as he had been poorly. He was told to re book on the web. The site kept crashing on his phone his wife's and their mac. He is late 70s. So he rang up. They sent him an appointment a week later so he thought he would do a dry run. The address was not on Google so he rang the number. It was the wrong number. The lady on the end of the phone had never heard of the street or the house etc. Rail House. Rail Street. He knew Railway Terrace. He rang the booking number. Oh dear she said we are new to this. No we are not a house we are in a marquee in an Industrial Estate. Called The Railings. His appointment was good ish it led in to a portacabin, they asked questions but it was deafefing and no one could hear properly. Through perspex.He was by a lady with mental issues who got agitated. No distancing. No one to help her. He got his jab the Pfeizer and he was told to wait 15 minutes but the crazy lady put him off so he left.

My Uncle 83 got a letter to go to Raglan, half an hour down the motorway for him. A Dr's. They had his details, no chat, Dr did it, in, out no wait. A card for his next appointment in 3 months. Astrazenica. Yak Y Dah!

My wife retired from Mental Health Nursing but went back in March (demands on mental health services have shot through the roof). Last week she did a 12 hour shift inoculating folk at a small local hospital and are managing around 60 people an hour.

You do get a high level of protection from the first jab but there is still a chance you can infect others. The vaccine does not stop you getting infected, it stimulates your immune system to fight the virus and stop making you ill. So keep wearing the masks and social distancing folks...your protecting others from you.

My wife retired from Mental Health Nursing but went back in March (demands on mental health services have shot through the roof). Last week she did a 12 hour shift inoculating folk at a small local hospital and are managing around 60 people an hour.

You do get a high level of protection from the first jab but there is still a chance you can infect others. The vaccine does not stop you getting infected, it stimulates your immune system to fight the virus and stop making you ill. So keep wearing the masks and social distancing folks...your protecting others from you.
So, it begs the question, is this ever going to end? It appears to me that you are saying that the vaccine is only good for not getting ill with Covid, not immune to getting it or passing it on?
Dave A

So, it begs the question, is this ever going to end? It appears to me that you are saying that the vaccine is only good for not getting ill with Covid, not immune to getting it or passing it on?
Dave A
It's the same as the Flu jab, it does not prevent you catching it or spreading it but it reduces the severity if you do get infected.

I had my first jab this afternoon, the next one is in April, even after my second dose I will still be required to wear a mask in all public places. You also have to be aware that non of the vaccines give 100% protection and may have little or no effect on some people so you could still end up in hospital.

Because the vaccine has only just been introduced, there is not enough evidence to show if it also cuts the likelihood of infection. It is unlikely that the covid will entirely disappear, but, when most have been innoculated, then the chance of getting it will be reduced and the chance of anything serious will be low - a bit like flu nowadays if you have been innoculated.

Because the vaccine has only just been introduced, there is not enough evidence to show if it also cuts the likelihood of infection. It is unlikely that the covid will entirely disappear, but, when most have been innoculated, then the chance of getting it will be reduced and the chance of anything serious will be low - a bit like flu nowadays if you have been innoculated.
My friend in her early 60s visits her mum in a care home once every two months as allowed, through glass. They gave her mum the first dose while she was visiting and as there was some spare asked my friend, so she had it. She doesn't know which one . I wonder if it is recorded that she had it. I should hope so. I know you can't mix the brands.

It's the same as the Flu jab, it does not prevent you catching it or spreading it but it reduces the severity if you do get infected.

I had my first jab this afternoon, the next one is in April, even after my second dose I will still be required to wear a mask in all public places. You also have to be aware that non of the vaccines give 100% protection and may have little or no effect on some people so you could still end up in hospital.
I have the Flu shot every year at the start of winter which is perceived as the start of Flu season, so far it's been very successful. Apparently there is no Covid season so similarities are not valid in regard to both virus's. I do understand the vaccine process, but my point is that the pandemic, with all it's restrictions, will be on-going.
Dave A

Oh gosh! @Nico
I imagine they would have a record of which vaccine it was though, perhaps she can ask the care home to write it down for her on some headed paper?

I have the Flu shot every year at the start of winter which is perceived as the start of Flu season, so far it's been very successful. Apparently there is no Covid season so similarities are not valid in regard to both virus's. I do understand the vaccine process, but my point is that the pandemic, with all it's restrictions, will be on-going.
Dave A
The following article regarding the UK might be of interest ....

Dave A
I think so too. I think it has been there a long time. People we know think they already had it before.
29 years ago I got like a sunstroke in my garden followed by flu. My mate got it too, he got better in two weeks but mine lasted a long time. I was off work for four months. I could not eat. I lived on hot and cold Ribena and water for a month. I was choked up with thick phlegm like wallpaper paste and thick green gunge in my ears nose and chest. I could not lie down as I couldn't breathe. I could not sleep more than an hour, sometimes two. I tried to shop but I got very confused, my bills went unpaid or overestimated. I halucinated. I couldn't remember which way the traffic flowed to cross the road to my doctors, where I almost feinted. They made me sit in the office. The doctor gave me some of his own antibiotics straight away and drove me home.! I lived alone. My mum was caring for my dad and her mother (my Nan) and herself and dad smoked. I was not allowed near a smoker. My GP kept on insisting was I sure I had not been abroad as it was a virus not contractable here. (I had only been to Irleand. ) Did I work with third world people who had just come in to the country, did I work with animals. Especially exotics. He would not divulge the name of it. Just a virus he said. Reading the Covid symptoms, I just wondered.

My friend in her early 60s visits her mum in a care home once every two months as allowed, through glass. They gave her mum the first dose while she was visiting and as there was some spare asked my friend, so she had it. She doesn't know which one . I wonder if it is recorded that she had it. I should hope so. I know you can't mix the brands.
There is no evidence to suggest that mixing the different types of vaccines will have an adverse effect, in fact it has been suggested that it could be beneficial to have different types.

There is no evidence to suggest that mixing the different types of vaccines will have an adverse effect, in fact it has been suggested that it could be beneficial to have different types.
I have read somewhere, and I have read so many different things that contradict and recontradict the other, that you could not mix the brands. As some are proven allegedly to be effective on one of the mutations, and others have not yet shown to be.

Dave A

Thats what I'm saying, it can't stop the virus entering your system but it kick starts your systems fight against it which is why you can still infect others and until we all have the jab we'll need to mask up and social distance. The more people that refuse the vaccine the longer it will take to get back to normal.

Lets be honest about it, if everyone had followed the rules, masked up, social distanced, washed hands we'd not be so deep in the mire we're in now.

I have read somewhere, and I have read so many different things that contradict and recontradict the other, that you could not mix the brands. As some are proven allegedly to be effective on one of the mutations, and others have not yet shown to be.
I agree, there is perhaps too much information, or opinion, but it was explained to me like if you choose to take Paracetamol you wouldn't necessarily only take one brand as all brands achieve the same result.

It is now 6 weeks since I had the first half of the vaccine dosage and I still take the same precautions I've taken since the pandemic started. Only after I have received the second half of the dosage in mid March will I relax slightly.
Hopefully the second phase of the UK's vaccination will run as brilliantly as the first phase has.

Yes they are definitely having covid injections at the Aston Villa ground as my friend has been offered the job to help them .She is going for more training tomorrow.My cousin who works for social services and is 58 had to have her covid injection yesterday at 12 at good hope hospital my other two friends who are over 70 had theirs last week one in Dudley road hospital at the sheldon block and the other one at Sutton Town Hall.

To bring a little tragedy to the table, the partner of a friend of my wife had his injection at the Doctors Surgery about 10 days ago, on Saturday he was feeling unwell, went to bed, worsened and it got so bad they called the ambulance at 2am Sunday morning and he was taken to hospital, he phoned his partner on Sunday, sounding reasonably cheery and we all thought things were going well. This morning a doctor rang his partner to say he was dying. she is in a terrible state because she is confined to the house, no one can visit her and her Covid test was proved positive. A sign of the times, the worst bit being that .she is in the house on her own, cannot go out and no one can visit her. The strange thing is they were carrying out the tracing exercise with her partner and he had to say the only place he had been in the last ten days was the doctors. Sorry to bring such a sad note to the forum, but it falls into the vaccination theme, as he had recently had his first dose.

Bob

As the judgement appears in Lancet then they must be satisfied. It does say that the vaccine was rolled out before the stage 3 clinical trials, but we have taken the decision to delay the time between doses.

Had the AZ vaccination today at the mass-vaccination centre at Epsom Racecourse, Surrey. Everything seemed to go smoothly. Asked, among other questions, whether I took blood-thinners. Said yes to Clopidogrel, in which case I might get more bruising on the arm. Dave

Had booked appointment for the Black Country Museum at 1605 yesterday. On the morning the trouble and strife received a letter for a centre at Wednesfield. (None that day at the Museum.) So she booked one at 1730 at Wednesfield. Her military planning allowed allowed an hour to get from Dudley to Wednesfield in the rush hour.

Arrived at the Museum and joined the queue outside 5 mins before the 1605 appointment. Like a game of hopscotch at an airport, jumping from one circle to another, and side to side. Got the jab at 1655. So 35 mins to get to Wednesfield. But the man said don’t drive for 15 mins.

Oh no, she’s got to drive ! Shaken we arrive at Wednesfield 5 mins late. 10 mins later she’s back in the car. I took over the wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back