• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Covid vaccination process

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's common sense really, the scientists say that the first dose gives over sixty percent protection and the second brings it to over ninety percent so if you can give two million people sixty percent it surely has to be better than giving only one million the double dose.
They say that the second dose should be administered not less than twenty one days and up to six months after the first to be effective.
The distribution of the vaccine seems to be gathering pace now as the providers get themselves into the routine with practice.

The same happened to me today (though I am still not sure why I was given the first one so early). I got a text last week reminding me. Then another saying the same thing today at 10.00. Then at 10.40 I received a phone call (not answered) and then a text saying that It had been canceled because "supplies had not been delivered " and that I would be contacted again within 12 weeks for new appointment.

Eric. The statement about the six months is only considered guesswork, though I can quite understand and accept the reasons for it. There has been no scientific testing yet to confirm it . The original approval of the vaccine did not ever consider such a long distance between shots.

My husband had his second jab today. The questionnaire mentioned Warfarin and the need for a yellow card in some circumstances. Maybe it's a good idea to take it with you if you have one, he doesn't need one as he has Clopidogril instead. All went smoothly as before and on time too.
Well done to all concerned!!
rosie.
Could I ask what the yellow card was related to as I have a yellow card for my immunotherapy treatment and also take injectable blood thinners daily. Thanks

I think the yellow card may be the Yellow Book that is used to record the readings (from blood tests) taken when you are taking oral anticoagulant therapy. It would be advisable to consult the GP beforehand.

My sister in law who like me lives in Chelmsley Wood and is 85 had a letter a few days ago telling her she would have to go to the Millennium Point Centre for her Jab on the 12th (today) but the following day her local doctor called saying her local surgery would do it this coming Saturday, much more convenient. Eric

I think some are reading that they "would have to" when they should be reading "can if you wish" go to these new centres.

It just gives the opportunity to get it done quicker (if you can travel) than waiting for your local clinic to deal with the thousands who need it.

As I said in post #16 - today my 93 year old Dad went for his first jab. Appointment time 11.10, we got there 11.00 but I couldn't park very near so he had a little walk. Short queue outside and then he was called in, answered questions - no problems about the blood thinner he is on - had jab 11.21 and then sat for 15 mins. He has had Pfizer vaccine and goes back in 12 weeks for second jab.
The worst part is that they have laid a temporary floor from the public car park at the back of the surgery (not Dad's but one run by the same practice) and there was a small kerb, then 2 small bumps before we got to the proper surface of the surgery. Vey difficult for those using walkers and unsteady on their feet (like Dad) and for those in wheelchairs. He then had a short queue where he had to stand - which he finds difficult before he went for his jab. Apart from that the organisation was good - as soon as someone left the sitting area the chairs were sanitised and everyone was very helpful.
Just spoken to him and he has had a little doze as the walking and standing tired him out - otherwise he is fine.

Not been notified of my vaccination appointment yet but I will be taking my older brother to Millennium Point today for his. I will let you know the outcome.

It was absolute bedlam at Millennium Point yesterday. Maybe it was teething problems, hope it gets better.

It was absolute bedlam at Millennium Point yesterday. Maybe it was teething problems, hope it gets better.
No bedlam here in Ontario Canada...no vaccine that's why! My wife and I are both over 80 and there is no sign of getting the jab. We are not in any of the top groups designated as vulnerable. Very disorganized considering that Canada was second to the UK in approving vaccines. Federal prisoners have been vaccinated already...I guess we dont count. It is very frustrating!
Dave A

Frothy, when you said elder brother, did you mean Brian(Templar) if so I hope he's well.
Please give him my regards.

Frothy, when you said elder brother, did you mean Brian(Templar) if so I hope he's well.
Please give him my regards.

Hello Bob, sorry to confuse you. Brian's okay it's our older brother David (82) who had the jab. Hope you're well and keeping safe?

My Dad has a card for his Edoxaban but it is a white card. He took it with him and showed it when he had his Covid jab. It was given him when he was put on the drug. I think people on blood thinning medication are supposed to carry a card in case of an accident which involves blood loss. Their blood won't clot easily and so might need extra care - possibly even blood clotting medication in severe cases.

I'm using apixaban, I checked with my GP and he said it would be fine, but that information was for me and may not be the same for everyone.

Thanks Robert. As Roberts says, do check with your GP with any questions you may individually have. We cannot offer expert advice on BHF. And circumstances may be different for each person.

Thank you. Viv.

I inject Fragmin daily but no mention of any warning card for that, they just ask me when I get my fortnightly immunotherapy and three monthly Hormone injection If I’m on thinners.

What a difficult time and what a mixed up rollout of the vaccine in various parts of the country,and what a mammoth task by our NHS.
A friend in Burnham on sea was sent a letter to go to Millenium point a journey of 100 miles.
My son is a nurse in a Nursing home in the Staffordshire moorlands neither residents or staff have been vaccinated
I am 78 so aware that it is not my turn yet but my sister who lives in Erdington age 75 and has no health issues was given hers GPs appointment this afternoon

Took my mom to have hers today. Went fairly smoothly, form filled, virtually straight in and they said she didn't have to wait 15 mins which I thought you did.

They did give her an appointment at 9 though which I said she couldn't make and they just told me to get there before noon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back