• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

Locals probably know whrer the picture in post 331 is, but for those that don't the only possibility , looking at a c 1951 map is just to the right of Venittia road , as seen below

map_c_1951_showing_bomb_site_from_photo_garrison_lane.jpg

post 237..what a wonderful pic podgery..i bet the yard were all dolled up their sunday best which once again just goes to show that it was the housing conditions were sub standard not the folk who had to live in them...it also looks as though blinds at the windows is not really a newish thing to do..

thanks for sharing it with us...

lyn

Hi all. I had this drawing done from my memory two years ago.It is a drawing of redhill and arthur terrace as i remember it in the early fifties,it's not quite right but it's pretty close. I must say what a great thread this is, the pics are great thanks a lot for all those that have posted.img007.jpg

Reference the picture of the Garrison Lane Flats post #332, in the writing it says they were built in the late 1800's.
I think they were built in the mid 1920's.

nick

Hi Nick I'm pretty sure I read they were buit 1926 but can't remember where I read it . I've also read that the flats in Wright Street Small Heath were the first in Birmingham to be built

ohares.jpg
These must also be in contention for the first custom buit flats they were slums in the early 50s another Phylis Nicklin pic Milk Street

This photo of Chelmorton Road, Great Barr was sent to me by a distant cousin now in the US. The family name is Power.

View attachment 81692
I've just noticed this photo, brings back memories, I used to live in a house like that not far from there. The house looks like it was when the First National Housing Trust owned them before they sold them to sitting tenants. Open passage to 'just inside' toilet and coal-house, the white 'box' on the wall was a vent for the gas washing boiler also used to steam Christmas Puds, and I've just noticed the concrete line post which came with the house.
I walked up Chelmorton Rd to Aldridge Rd school.
oldmohawk

Podgery, I loved your photo Post 327, it looks as though the children are going to be on a Church Anniversary Service, all the girls in their white dresses and the boys smartly dressed, and most wearing a flower.

Has anyone else noticed that in nearly all the photos of the courtyards etc., there is washing on the lines.

Hi just got back from a short holiday in the lake district. Yes even though the houses were old and a bit run down the kids always had there sunday best to wear and there homes were kept neat and tidy in the main.
Podgery, I loved your photo Post 327, it looks as though the children are going to be on a Church Anniversary Service, all the girls in their white dresses and the boys smartly dressed, and most wearing a flower.

Has anyone else noticed that in nearly all the photos of the courtyards etc., there is washing on the lines.

A great shot of Rev Norman Power in a back street in Ladywood....I was in the first year at school, and I vividly remember him turning out for the Old Boys vesus the School First XI at Cricket. He was a demon fast bowler then, and I thought him a boyhood hero....did good stuff at St Basil's before taking up as Vicar of St John's, and was later followed by another Old Boy Les Milner as the Vicar...

Norman Power.jpg

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the Rev'd Power was vicar at the Emmanuel Church, Highters Heath, back in the fifties.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the Rev'd Power was vicar at the Emmanuel Church, Highters Heath, back in the fifties.

Maybe before this baz? From The St John's Church website...

Canon Norman Power was vicar from 1952-1988. A Birmingham man who became very well known over the city through his weekly comment in the Evening Mail, he was renowned for his stand on behalf of Ladywood people in the midst of the ravages of redevelopment and is still very fondly remembered. He wrote ‘The Forgotten People’ about those left not yet moved out, left behind in the squalor of no one’s land.

https://www.stjohnpeter.org.uk/church/Events/first150.htm

Last edited:
maypolebaz
you are not wrong the Rev'd Power was there in the forties, he lived in Maypole Lane near to the top a few houses down from the Motel, My mother used to say he was a true christian and gentleman and was loved and respected for his work and generosity, Also over the years I have been told of all the good things he did at his time in the parish.
Malta.

Did I imagine it but can anyone remember if the great RAF fighter pilot Sir Douglas Bader come to St Johns church for some aniversary late fifties?
Anyone remember?

maypolebaz
you are not wrong the Rev'd Power was there in the forties, he lived in Maypole Lane near to the top a few houses down from the Motel, My mother used to say he was a true christian and gentleman and was loved and respected for his work and generosity, Also over the years I have been told of all the good things he did at his time in the parish.
Malta.

Thanks for the replies, Malta & Dennis.
The Rev Power used to run a great Boys Club, so far back that I remember racing home from it one evening, to watch a TV film about a wonderful new airliner called The Comet !

not very good quality as they come from old papers but here are a couple more...

back of cromwell st... img503.jpg

Back