• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

computer help

Google have been rattling on for some time about closing the pathways through chrome that allow add blockers, such as ABP and Ublock origin to function. That could affect all the derivatives as well, such as Internet Explorer, but there are enough alternatives available at the moment for that plan to fail. What Google does at the moment is introduce little incompatibilities that can cause other browsers to render websites slightly off, hoping to drive holdouts, (like me) into switching to Chrome for the best experience. This isnt helped by lazy developers who only test their websites with Chrome, perhaps justifiably on the basis that it is the biggest browser by usage. But it does spread the rot and make the web more Chrome-centric.
I have used on-device add blockers, but switched to external solutions so that all the household devices benefit. Pi-hole worked well, but was another device to maintain. So the end result is the VPN, which being paid for, gives me performance guarantees and a bit of leverage. The ‘P’ (private) in VPN is good as well. Over here, the ISPs have to record every site, (although not the contents) that you visit, and keep the records for a year. I don‘t visit ‘ those sorts of site ‘, but one never knows when a perfectly innocuous site may become interesting to some agency. My records are just the IP address of my VPN, over and over.
Andrew

I have a VPN not a lot of sites let you in with a vpn they like to see your location,
My VPN provider lets me choose my ‘location’ from almost anywhere in the world, changing it as I see fit. However,you are right, some sites keep track of VPN server addresses and refuse connections. The BBC iplayer is a pain for this, although there is one VPN provider who claims to have got around this. Some sites will ask your computer for its location as recorded in the operating system.
Andrew.

My VPN provider lets me choose my ‘location’ from almost anywhere in the world, changing it as I see fit. However,you are right, some sites keep track of VPN server addresses and refuse connections. The BBC iplayer is a pain for this, although there is one VPN provider who claims to have got around this. Some sites will ask your computer for its location as recorded in the operating system.
Andrew.
I`ve just signed up to Cyberghost & it won`t let me view any sites whilst it`s running so i have to disconnect it to visit a site, which begs the question "what`s the point" ? Have i picked a duff vpn or have i got my settings wrong ?

Google have been rattling on for some time about closing the pathways through chrome that allow add blockers, such as ABP and Ublock origin to function. That could affect all the derivatives as well, such as Internet Explorer, but there are enough alternatives available at the moment for that plan to fail. What Google does at the moment is introduce little incompatibilities that can cause other browsers to render websites slightly off, hoping to drive holdouts, (like me) into switching to Chrome for the best experience. This isnt helped by lazy developers who only test their websites with Chrome, perhaps justifiably on the basis that it is the biggest browser by usage. But it does spread the rot and make the web more Chrome-centric.
I have used on-device add blockers, but switched to external solutions so that all the household devices benefit. Pi-hole worked well, but was another device to maintain. So the end result is the VPN, which being paid for, gives me performance guarantees and a bit of leverage. The ‘P’ (private) in VPN is good as well. Over here, the ISPs have to record every site, (although not the contents) that you visit, and keep the records for a year. I don‘t visit ‘ those sorts of site ‘, but one never knows when a perfectly innocuous site may become interesting to some agency. My records are just the IP address of my VPN, over and over.
Andrew
I think you are corr3ct Andrew! We have the fox watching the chicken coup so to speak. They seem to be in league with this including Google and Microsoft! Very disappointing!

Tor is popular for those browsing the 'dark web'.

VPN's are popular with expats living in Spain et at so they can get their corrie street/emerdale/eastenders 'fix' ;)

I had trouble getting past that green cookie permisson banner again, I always accept the cookies on the Forum.
rosie.

Yes, same issue for me yesterday. I gave up in the end. That said, just logged in, and accepted straight away.

Steve.

I nearly did give up today! Seven attempts at logging in! I'm using Firefox, we do have Chrome but I don't like it.
rosie.

Thanks Janice, I will try that.
rosie.

Update, I just pressed the back button after reading a thread and the green banner appeared and wouldn't let me back!!

Last edited:
I nearly gave up trying to log in today!
rosie.
It is all very frustrating when these problems happen Rosie. A lot of things on computer are becoming over complicated for me as a general user without any IT training. Just keeping up with passwords is enough for me! I hope you can sort your problem soon. Tinpot

It is all very frustrating when these problems happen Rosie. A lot of things on computer are becoming over complicated for me as a general user without any IT training. Just keeping up with passwords is enough for me! I hope you can sort your problem soon. Tinpot
Password management is a big darn nightmare, for what! Hackers will find it if they really want to. I recently purchased a new iPad and missed typed my Apple password so it blocked me for a week until Apple allowed me to set a new one. I use MS office and it remembers 90% of my PWs without me asking. I put all of my passwords in Outlook. They say don’t write them down but how do you remember them when so many sites want you to update every 3 to 6 months! My HP printer knew my WiFi system and password without anything from me, how did that happen?
Sorry!

Back