• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

computer help

It is certainly something I had been thinking about. The providers tend to keep your usage a secret, so as a consumer you are never quite sure you have sufficient speed for the things you do.

It then makes the choice of providers difficult, steering you towards remaining with your more expensive provider with an over provision of your needs.
Mort, I think you are correct...........In the US the providers offer a package based upon information that the user provides, then they advise "if you want fast performance" then try to upsell! The good news in the US is that more providers are coming into the market (digital systems are VERY lucrative) and have driven the prices down. When measuring your speed there are variations in rate that will affect the user's performance.

Some ISPs have been known to recognise the speed check data type, or the Internet address, and to slightly prioritise the connection while it is taking place, thus giving an optimistic result, which looks good for them. When I first connected, over the phone line, I had a cheap 'starter' rate which gave a download of 2 Mbits. When this finished, I went on the normal rate, which was around 10 Mbits variable between 8 and 20 with no changes at my end, so the ISP is quite capable of adjusting the rate for individual customers.
If you use the speed check from Netflix, the data stream is biassed to be like video streaming, to give a realistic figure for their usage. It is what they do after all.
With the roll out of fibre to the home over here, it is quite noticeable in house sale adverts that the availability of fibre has become high on the list of features. Apparently it is also forming part of the sale contracts, with the option to withdraw if it turns out to be false.
Who needs Gigabit anyway ? o_O
Andrew.

Some ISPs have been known to recognise the speed check data type, or the Internet address, and to slightly prioritise the connection while it is taking place, thus giving an optimistic result, which looks good for them. When I first connected, over the phone line, I had a cheap 'starter' rate which gave a download of 2 Mbits. When this finished, I went on the normal rate, which was around 10 Mbits variable between 8 and 20 with no changes at my end, so the ISP is quite capable of adjusting the rate for individual customers.
If you use the speed check from Netflix, the data stream is biassed to be like video streaming, to give a realistic figure for their usage. It is what they do after all.
With the roll out of fibre to the home over here, it is quite noticeable in house sale adverts that the availability of fibre has become high on the list of features. Apparently it is also forming part of the sale contracts, with the option to withdraw if it turns out to be false.
Who needs Gigabit anyway ? o_O
Andrew.
We have a gigabit but that was part of the package (which we are going to change shortly), and even with that it still variee/delays. And the providers can and do vary the speeds at will.

A Broadband story ... :)
My BB problem caused by a fault on the 400metres of copper line from cabinet to house was cleared up by BT and Openreach within the time promised. Speed is back to 40 down and 10 up. One thing I've learnt is that I can run everything I need with a down speed of 23.
I still have the mobile EE mini hub they sent and which they will activate if my line BB completely fails. When fibre to houses is eventually available where I live it will be more reliable but I don't need the super/ultra fast speeds advertised on TV etc.

I usually partition the hard drives in my pcs so that data/photos is stored on a data partition usually D drive and Windows and apps are on the C drive. I back up the data to a separate SSD. So if I bought a new computer I would first tidy up the installed Windows (remove bloatware etc) then download and install fresh copies of the apps I use. I would then copy the data from the SSD to the data partion D drive in the new pc .... but we all run our devices differently .... :)

My drives in my Acer desktop PC
Image1.jpg

Last edited:
From the hardware viewpoint. Not USB, it only has one 'polarity', so can't connect computers, talk on one wire, listen on another. If you have a suitable cable, use ethernet between the computers, modern computers can listen and talk down the same cable. There is also a 'crossover' cable easily available in case the computers can't sort the polarity themselves. That way, the two computers will happily chat to each other. You could use WiFi, that will be slower, but may suit your needs.
Windows will have software designed for exactly the purpose. You may have to answer some questions as part of the setup, but they will not be onerous. The most important is getting the source, (old computer), and the destination, (new computer right).
Getting a new computer is a good time to clear out the old stuff you no longer need. Windows will check raw compatibility as you transfer, but will not decide for you whether you really need something or not.

Of course, you could always set up the new computer from fresh, then restore all the stuff you need from your backup as per oldMohawk above. That is the cleanest and best method, no compatibility issues.

Andrew.

i just swapped the hard disk from my old pc into the new pc all was ok. simple:grinning:
Pete, the ssd in my old pc is 120gb, whereas my new pc is 512 gb, so not much point in swapping. I`ve been looking at EaseUS for data transfer, has anyone used that ?

I am getting a new pc, should be arriving tomorrow. Any ( simple ) help in transferring all data from the old pc to the new one is appreciated. Preferably by cable or usb for someone with limited it knowledge.
Firstly, take care not to overthink this straightforward task.

If you are just transferring your data and not the Windows operating system, then a USB should work ok depending on the capacity of the USB stick.

It will be worth spending time setting up your new PC first. You should think about how to organise your files and pictures etc in a way that works for you.

Most certainly, have a look at how many hard drives or partitions your new computer has. Its good practice to keep your data files off the C: Windows system drive.

Its just a question of copying your data to the USB and Copying it to the new computer. If your data is already organised into folders, then copy each folder.

Remember to eject the USB stick each time before you remove it.

Do ger back if you need any further help.

If you are just transferring your data and not the Windows operating system, then a USB should work ok depending on the capacity of the USB stick.

It will be worth spending time setting up your new PC first. You should think about how to organise your files and pictures etc in a way that works for you.

Most certainly, have a look at how many hard drives or partitions your new computer has. Its good practice to keep your data files off the C: Windows system drive.

Its just a question of copying your data to the USB and Copying it to the new computer. If your data is already organised into folders, then copy each folder.

Thanks Mort, It will be just data. I do have a usb backing up my file history, so will i be able to use that to transfer the files to the new pc ? I wish IT was as simple as cabinet making !

Yes, that should be ok. Once you have set up the new PC, put the contents of the USB on the new machine in a place where you can find it. Then clean off the USB and start moving your folders.

In all fairness, a pen and paper is useful to keep check of what you have moved. Copy the files so you leave the old ones one the old computer, as a backup until your happy all is well with the new machine.

We can compare our cabinet making notes when you all sorted.

The overthinking is the big problem. I subscribe to the KISS principle, however have a great tendency to over think!

Pete, yes you can, and I would have done it that way, but the original poster wanted a simple solution.

Do also bear in mind that hard drives have a finite life and ultimately do fail. It can be a bit of a false economy.
Mort, would the risk be far less with a digital hard drive? My concern with Pete’s idea (which would work) is that OLD hard drive would tend to fail sooner rather than later!

Mort, would the risk be far less with a digital hard drive? My concern with Pete’s idea (which would work) is that OLD hard drive would tend to fail sooner rather than later!
Richard may be less risk, but as Pete suggested to do it with the existing old hard drive my thought were the same as yours, it may fail. I also thought about the skill set of the end user, if they are not used to pulling PC’s apart.

Anyone use TalkTalk for broadband and find them satisfactory?
I've used BT broadband for many years but seem to be paying a 'loyalty penalty'. Technically they are reliable but I'm nearing the end of a 2 year contract and want a significant price reduction. If I don't get one I'm moving.

I’ve been with PlusNet for 15 years, fantastic customer service, from call centres based in Yorkshire.
would not consider moving anywhere else.

I’ve been with PlusNet for 15 years, fantastic customer service, from call centres based in Yorkshire.
would not consider moving anywhere else.
Thanks :) ... I notice Plusnet is apparently owned by BT (my current provider) but I presume they are technically separate.

Yes, they trade as separate companies. But the service stands out far better than anyone else with call centre staff you can understan.
We have a similar situation in the US with Verizon. They are a big player in telcom and wireless but have a low cost sub that is actually better on all fronts! Not sure I understand but don’t much care.

Anyone use TalkTalk for broadband and find them satisfactory?
I've used BT broadband for many years but seem to be paying a 'loyalty penalty'. Technically they are reliable but I'm nearing the end of a 2 year contract and want a significant price reduction. If I don't get one I'm moving.
Been with Talktalk for ages, most times it just works. Damaged my landline while gardening on a Sunday morning, Openreach arrived to fix it 8.00am on Monday.
Broadband failed recently for whatever reason Openreach had it up and running within an hour.
Talktalk call centre staff can be a challenge! But always polite and helpful and get things fixed when needed.

My experience is the same a devonjim's I've been with talktalk and their predecessors since the outset and it's always worked, however you need to be aware that ALL the broadband companies are aiming to take a bigger bite of the cherry in April so it will be a challenge to find a better deal until after then.
If you read the small print on the bottom of their TV adverts you will see e.g. rising by CPI + 3.8% in April so I guess after that it will be time to shop around again.

I was with Talktalk for many years, but when they didn`t offer me a better deal to stay with them i left & joined Plusnet & get more reliable connection & d/l speeds. There is also a new kid on the block, Youfibre, offering speeds of 150 Mbps for 21.99 & speeds of 1000Mbps for £1 for the first 3 months & 29.99 after that with a promise never to increase charges for the length of your contract. I`m staying with Plusnet despite that annoying Yorkshire man who does the Plusnet advert !

Back