• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

City Centre Photographs

I was wondering if anyone ever sees themselves on any of the photos that appear on this forum. I feel it would be a bit vain to even look for yourself. Sometimes I think I might have been in the area as I lived in Brum up until 1961.
Cheers Tim.

Is it me or were traffic signs a lot more straight forward in the bad old days? How clear and straightforward the one that takes centre stage in this picture is. Delighted to see all the men in their raincoats, must have been spring or autumn. Another good photo stitcher. How's the cold?
Bob

Hello Bob, I think the vast majority of things were better in days long past. Have a look at the Getting Old thread for an update on the cold.

I was wondering if anyone ever sees themselves on any of the photos that appear on this forum. I feel it would be a bit vain to even look for yourself. Sometimes I think I might have been in the area as I lived in Brum up until 1961.
Cheers Tim.
It would not be vain, just research because you would actually be looking to see if any family members were in the picture and that could go down to second cousins or 'I think that lady with her back to the camera is great aunt Ethel...oh my goodness is that me...well gosh almighty what luck' see how easy it is you were not looking for you and thought you saw someone else........which leads to another thought, I wonder how many members of the forum have actually met in those dim and distant days of dance halls, pubs and night clubs (after my time), I see somewhere the Jazz club at the pub at Aston Cross was mentioned, were we there on the same night?

Bob

bm 4.jpeg

My Mom and Dad had the mail from as far back as I can remember, then I got a paper round as soon as I was old enough, not sure if it 13 or 14. My round was Severne Road, Severne Grove and Eason Grove. When I got married and left my parent's house I carried on having the mail and I still do now.

Two early 1970s photos taken from Corporation Street looking towards Stephenson Place.
KenSue.jpg
Ken_Sue_Colour1 mod.jpg

6221060373_3883a6d62e_o_28229.jpg

Last edited:
What a grate pleasure it is to see all these old photos of our city centre, thanks a lot for all your photo postings.

A postcard view of Corporation Street late 1940s showing the tram track leading out of Martinaeu Street. A tram going towards Lancaster Place is just visible in the distance. A chap on a bike seems in an odd position at the back of the nearest bus.
Corporation St Cyclist.JPG

Corporation Street in 1935, crowded with traffic. Bunting and flags on some buildings must be for the jubilee celebrations for King George V and Queen Mary.
CorporationSt_1935.JPG

Corporation Street early 1920s. Crowded particularly on the right and some of them don't look like shoppers. Perhaps some have been to an event at the Central Hall which the overhead banner seems to be advertising.
CorporationSt1920.JPG

Last edited:
Corporation Street early 1920s. Crowded particularly on the right and some of them don't look like shoppers. Pehaps some have been to an event at the Central Hall which the overhead banner seems to be advertising.
View attachment 119614

In 1920 there is a Midland Musical Competition Festival....Town Hall, Central Hall and Midland Institute.

This could be the banner?......maybe an annual event.

In 1920 there is a Midland Musical Competition Festival....Town Hall, Central Hall and Midland Institute.

This could be the banner?......maybe an annual event.
Thanks for the information and now I look again at the banner I can see Midland Musical Competiton. It must have been a popular festival and maybe was an annual event in the 1920s.

I was at a postcard fair on Saturday and from the guy who does the charity pcs, I bought a number of Birmingham Views. This was one of them. The others I will post on Broad Street,Smallbrook Ringway, St Phillips Cathedral, Town Hall and Rotunda. If there is a collector who would like them let me know and I will send them on. The Birmingham I would like to collect are all to expensive.
Bob

Attachments

• Corporartion st card.jpg
    Corporartion st card.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:
Piccadilly arcade, used to play snooker at the Piccadilly club occasionally.
Cyclops records used to be there too didn't it in the 1970s.

One thing that remember at Xmas time, was the wonderful Xmas displays in the window at Lewis's and Greys. Lost of fun as a nipper to bundle up from the bitter cold and walk with my family along the streets, Happy days anyone have any photos of the Xmas decs?

Unfortunately the pictures from the later reproductions of the Birmingham Papers on the Archives are pretty poor. This one is New Street in 1959.

40F4818C-6966-4B08-9048-76E7D93B2471.jpeg
One thing that remember at Xmas time, was the wonderful Xmas displays in the window at Lewis's and Greys. Lost of fun as a nipper to bundle up from the bitter cold and walk with my family along the streets, Happy days anyone have any photos of the Xmas decs?

Another Burton building it appears, but this one has a ghost sign on the gable ends. Not distinct enough for me to read.

Back