• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

The chap at the bottom left may be searching for change in his pocket. But when did they start to make you have the exact fare for a Bus?

the tram has just passed Market St whilstThe tram has just passed Market Street whilst travelling along Corporation Street..jpg
The tram has just passed Market St. whilst travelling along Corporation St.

Stitcher, I think that is the correct title, (1) that tall light 6 story building looks like Greys (2) a short road sign between 1st and 2nd of the 3 first story windows (Bull St ?) and (3) the long road sign above FHW could be Corporation St and it looks like how I remember it, I'd say about 50's or 60's. Perhaps some one will correct me if I'm wrong, or, hopefully, agree with me. Eric

Stitcher, I can no longer find that pic of yours 'Bull St and Corporation Street' which I commented on (see #1691 above) what post number is it ?? Eric

Eric
If you enlarge the road sign it says XXXXXX lane, and i think the XXXXX is steelhouse which is why I made my comment.

sign on Bull St, Steelhouse Lane..jpg

Freeman Hardy & Willis was at 52 Bull St, which was on the corner of Steelhouse lane and Bull St, so the white building is Lewis's

From the Greys Department Store thread ... a pic of Bull Street.
index.php

from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...re-looking-for-a-pic.11287/page-4#post-457422

Regarding the pics of Greys in Bull Street, the following video clip is elsewhere on the forum but worth a look if anyone has not seen it before ... It shows a busy Bull Street in 1946 with some large bus queues ...

..................brace your ears for the braking sounds. :D

Post 1695 has a nice Atkinson sign on the right hand building.

Sorry to be a pedant, but post 1690 is Manchester - well, that's what I read on the side of the tram. :)

That maybe so but I am not an expert on buses and trams and I can only post what has been printed with the picture by the people who initially printed said picture. It has been pointed out many times on the forum that some photos do have the wrong information on them.

Mike you are correct, I mixed up Grey's with Lewis's which was opposite, forgot all about Lewis's, at least I was correct re the Bull St sign !! Thanks for putting me right. Eric

And another bit of old City Centre Brum that always fascinated me...The Lamb House...corner of Bull Street...it's been on here many times, and has quite a bit of history connected to it...notably via it's owners...

View attachment 83496 View attachment 83497 View attachment 83498

FROM MY BIT ON THE COLMORES

"With support from the Under Bailiff and one of Holte’s men, the constable bearded the Colmores in their den, the ‘Lamb’ in Bull Street. Seeking to arrest the servant they were confronted by the Colmore brothers who swore that ‘they would die first on any many that laid hands on him’. Thomas Colmore then thrust murderously with his rapier at the constable. In the ensuing scuffle the officers of the law were badly beaten and their task was made impossible by the arrival of the Colmores’ father, William, with a party of twenty men who were brandishing pikes.

Lion and Lamb pub on the left side of Bull Street...scene of crime...

At last the Colmores were brought to book at Warwick Assizes in 1603 – but after bribing the witnesses against them the case was dropped. Almost in desperation Smallbrook went to the highest court in the land, the Court of the Star Chamber. He won his case but was left with heavy legal fees. As for William Colmore he received a substantial fine whilst two of his sons were committed to prison, plus each was also ordered to wear a paper on his head explaining his offence and to do so in an open place in Warwickhire. Terrifying. "

Gun Barrel Proof House.jpg

The Birmingham Grid Project 2017, in the footsteps of Phyllis Nicklin

Good News:

A new location has been discovered. It’s not on the ePapers website, but is on Brumpic’s Twitter feed so it will be genuine. It’s CC161 : Gun Barrel Proof House, Banbury Street. 25th September 1968

I wouldn't say it's a new location!

I first took photos of it in 2010!

Although by 2013, a new gate had been installed and you can't walk any further on Banbury Street!

Yes it's near Proof House Junction - the various lines that head over Eastside into Birmingham New Street Station. You can usually hear the trains above!

The Gun Barrel Proof House is hidden to the right of the railway lines in this photo below.

Back