• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

A search for the Proof House didn't give me any results so I'm posting this here as mention has been made of the building a short while ago. Please move this if there is another thread.
We spotted that the Proof House is being re-roofed and wondered if anyone would be out and about with a camera. We were on the train and couldn't take a picture. The cross-city line often pauses there but just because I wanted it to it didn't! Couldn't get my phone out quickly enough.

This picture was on Twitter today:AlbertSt.etc.jpg

Town centre, looking down Albert Street. The building on the right with the rounded frontage was always interesting becasue of its shape, and the decorative top part. I can't remember if it was a carpet shop in the late 1960s, which is when my memories start. Does anyone know the significance of the RAF sign on the building on the left? Was it an RAF club?

I can remember that building on the corner of Albert Street and the New Meeting Street passageway @Maria Magenta
I think it may still have been a carpet shop.
A friend of mine worked at a chiropodist in NM St around 1968 - they also sold expensive shoes like Churches, I can't for the life of me remember the name of the people who ran the business.

Corporation Street at the junction with New Street. Unfortunately no date but it looks early 1920s. The bus types could probably date it.
corporationst.jpg

index.php

This was in the Corporation Street thread.
In reply to a post by Vivienne I mentioned that the BCT bus was fairly accurate and was on the 9 service to Quinton. However the Midland Red was way off colour but the likely reason for that was given by one of our artist posters.
I have given the Midland Red bus a little thought and it looks like is it one of the SOS FS (forward steering) class of 86 buses (including the prototype) entering service in 1926 and lasting until 1935. This class of vehicles were the first to have the fuel tank (petrol) beneath the drivers seat. This anomaly lasted on B&MMO built buses until the first post war B&MMO buses were built.
The above is based solely on my interpretation of the vehicles registration number as HA 3542.;)

Thanks to Alan (Radiorails) for identifying the 'Blue' Midland Red. When I first saw the picture I thought that it must have been one of these vehicles. Perhaps the artist had seen one and thought it appropriate. West Bromwich Corporation Dennis 'E' 1929
8691626793_5c24804b87_n.jpg (Photo posted by David Christie on Flickr)

The West Bromwich Corporation had five of the Dennis 'E' type buses - see the photo in previous post 1725. They were registered EA 4177 - EA 4181 with fleet numbers 28 -32. They seated 32 passengers and were bodied by a company called Dixon (relatively unknown) who were a local company.
My personal view about the liveries of the West Midland municipal buses is that Birmingham had the smartest - almost classic in its simplicity - followed by West Bromwich. I found the all over blue of Walsall quite uninteresting and Wolverhampton's miserable green and yellow very low on my liking list.

index.php

This was in the Corporation Street thread.
In reply to a post by Vivienne I mentioned that the BCT bus was fairly accurate and was on the 9 service to Quinton. However the Midland Red was way off colour but the likely reason for that was given by one of our artist posters.
I have given the Midland Red bus a little thought and it looks like is it one of the SOS FS (forward steering) class of 86 buses (including the prototype) entering service in 1926 and lasting until 1935. This class of vehicles were the first to have the fuel tank (petrol) beneath the drivers seat. This anomaly lasted on B&MMO built buses until the first post war B&MMO buses were built.
The above is based solely on my interpretation of the vehicles registration number as HA 3542.;)
The first thing I noticed about this picture is the fact that traffic was going both ways on Corporation St.
Dave A

This picture was taken from a very similar viewpoint of Corporation Street to that in posts 1720/3. However, the clothes that the women are wearing suggest the Edwardian period (1901-10). Also no motorised buses. Dave.
Scan_20180116 (2).jpg

Had forgotten about those blinds. Worked at a shop for a year and had the pleasure of pulling it down each morning and putting it up at end of trading. The art was flicking it over the sort of top dead centre.
Cheers Tim

'Paint' isn't on the last line Stan. But as A Sparks comments the very last line(s) are quite blurred. It could read demolition(s).

Back