• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

City Centre Photographs

Modified this photo shows some flaws, but shows off the buildings better

Victoria_SquareA_1905.jpg

hi sticher
yes indeed it is where maggs think it was by the art gallery and if you moved away from that fountain going backwards you would cross over the main rd
there was the wite horse pub and bear left along the main road was the orininal registry office before they moved acros to broad street i think it was in the late fifties they moved across to broad street astonian;

The registrar office was still in its original place by the fountain in 1962 as my friend got married there. Most people used to have their wedding photos taken by the fountain then.

Anyone know what the building is/was? The last two arches still have windows. Has the look of a chapel. Looks very interesting. Viv.

Vivienne, I seem to recollect that the floors above the ground floor were the Birmingham Law Library, the ground floor used to be a Building Society, but I can't remember which one.

It was outside Christ Church (until it was demolished in 1899). Colmore Row / New Street. Then moved to Temple Row.

The Angel drinking fountain can be seen here on the wall of Christchurch in the bottom middle of the photo.

Attachments

• City Christchurch Victoria Square.jpg
    City Christchurch Victoria Square.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 73
I had actually forgotten that there used to be a fountain at that location when it was discussed on this forum some time back.

Attachments

• City Broad St Peace Garden Fountain.JPG
    City Broad St Peace Garden Fountain.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 61
The Angel drinking fountain can be seen here on the wall of Christchurch in the bottom middle of the photo.

A century later it has been replaced by this!

A quiet, wet Victoria Square on New Years Day 2014.
The Floozie in the Jacuzzi is malfunctioning again (and is turned off again). Too expensive to keep repairing!

I had actually forgotten that there used to be a fountain at that location when it was discussed on this forum some time back.

That fountain in what is now Centenary Square, seems to be approximately in the location now occupied by the amphitheatre of the new Library of Birmingham!

Two images of the fountain from my Images of Birmingham feature: www.jlb2011.co.uk/iob
Note the colonnade behind the fountain. The daytime shot was taken in 1959, the night-time shot in 1963.
21.jpg22.jpg

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
This Aerial photo shows the location of the fountain to be rather closer to the Hall of Memory and Baskerville House than that of the location of the new Library.

Attachments

• City Aerial View Broad St 2.jpg
    City Aerial View Broad St 2.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 55
Such a pity it was removed, even more so as the new library footprint doesn't seem to reach that far. Maybe maintenance was an issue. But two lovely photos of the fountain JLB.

Phil, your aerial photo is excellent. The three features; the Colonnade, the fountain and the Hall of Memory fitted so well together. A place to reflect, especially for those visiting the Hall of a Memory. The view is especially interesting to me as it shows Alpha Tower being built - bottom left. The Tower was, from memory, 26 floors high, and the floor I worked on (24th) hadn't yet been created, only 17 (and a half) floors in the photo. The lift shafts were in the middle of the building and the stairways ran down the two extreme edges. Nightmare when it came to practice fire drills. The lifts were claimed to be the fastest lifts in Europe when it was built - don't know how true that was. The offices were open plan, modern for that time too. The open plan offices views to the back and through to the front of the building (well they were on the floor I worked). At each end of the building, near the staircases, were two smaller offices which had great views across all parts of B'ham and beyond. Viv.

Such a pity it was removed, even more so as the new library footprint doesn't seem to reach that far. Maybe maintenance was an issue. But two lovely photos of the fountain JLB.

Phil, your aerial photo is excellent. The three features; the Colonnade, the fountain and the Hall of Memory fitted so well together. A place to reflect, especially for those visiting the Hall of a Memory. The view is especially interesting to me as it shows Alpha Tower being built - bottom left. The Tower was, from memory, 26 floors high, and the floor I worked on (24th) hadn't yet been created, only 17 (and a half) floors in the photo. The lift shafts were in the middle of the building and the stairways ran down the two extreme edges. Nightmare when it came to practice fire drills. The lifts were claimed to be the fastest lifts in Europe when it was built - don't know how true that was. The offices were open plan, modern for that time too. The open plan offices views to the back and through to the front of the building (well they were on the floor I worked). At each end of the building, near the staircases, were two smaller offices which had great views across all parts of B'ham and beyond. Viv.
Surely the fountain disappeared for the construction of Centenary Square?

This is one of two floral fountains said to have stood at each end of Broad Street. They depict a young Smith stood astride Birmingham Council House. I've always wondered exactly where they stood and why they were removed and where are they now?

Attachments

• City Broad St one of two Floral Fountains.JPG
    City Broad St one of two Floral Fountains.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 44
There was a replacement fountain after the beautiful large one Bernard, it was like satellite dishes propped up with masks and splashed everyone as they walked by on a breezy day! I didn't like it as much as the one on the photos. Also I think people walked on the stones and broke them.
I seem to remember Ellbrown put some photos of the second one in store now? (Is it called Dollman Stores?)
rosie.

As a child, I remember the lawns and fountains along the walk towards the Hall of Memory, and remember sitting on the benches too. What a peaceful place it was in those days, much better than the way it is now.

Yes Rosie I am aware of that but thought that that one was closer to Baskerville House but I could be wrong. I have some photos of it when operating I will see if I can find them. Yes Dollman Stores is correct and is a fascinating place to wander around on one of their Open Days.

Last edited by a moderator:
The later fountain was on the other side of the Hall of Memory nearer Suffolk Street Queensway (although I don't think it's called that now). Viv.

A photo of The Spirit of Enterprise fountain from the D J Norton Site, it looks like Broad St & Centenary square is a graveyard for fountains.

Attachments

• SiteOfLibrary[1].jpg
    SiteOfLibrary[1].jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 63
Well Phil that proves me wrong regarding the location of that fountain. Funny how time plays with our minds.

Yes the Spirit of Enterprise is at the Birmingham Museum Collections Centre on Dollman Street. Assume that it is still there.

They left it outside, with other bits and pieces (plinths with graffiti).

Thank you Ellbrown, at least the birds can bath in it so it's not totally useless!

I "Googled" for "Spirit of Enterprise fountain", Wikipedia has a good aerial view, it seem to be where the old one was? I'm not very good with direction and memory does alter things!
rosie.

The original fountain near the Hall of Memory, I believe commemorated the Birmingham waterworks in the Elan Valley. When Centenary Square was laid out a new fountain was installed and yes I believe it could have been where the hole in the ground is now.

It was indeed nearer to the hall of memory, off centre; the intention was to have the square as a symmetrical layout; two Baskerville House like building, two hall of memory's and another colonnade and another fountain. There was a model in the Art Gallery a few years back, but have not seen it in recent years.

Back